Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by sethb
Why do you provide the name of the second closest commercial airport when mentioning that hotel?
SFO was meant to indicate San Francisco and I put it there for those (probably very few) that may not know that Fisherman's Wharf is located in San Francisco (probably not many but you never know). Next time I'll spell out San Francisco... just for you, because if I were to put OAK in my original post that would most likely confuse people significantly more than putting SFO in it apparently did for you.

Oh... and just checked (again, just for you) and OAK is 21.5 miles away from the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf (via I-880 and I-80) while SFO is 15.4 miles away via US-101. But perhaps there's another commercial airport in the Bay Area that's closer... hoping you can further enlighten me?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by cornfedcowboy
I always use the coffee maker but suspect most do not. Anyone here use them?
Sure, most of the time. Need that first cup of coffee pretty quick when I wake up.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:29 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by cebootsw
My biggest beef about redesigned hotels is the lack of towel racks! They have taken them all out. And the worst of it is that they want us to hang our towels up for environmental reasons (i.e. don't want to wash them)! So give us a rack to do it already!!!
The Fairfield I was in this week had the towels rolled and stacked across the bathroom from the shower, with no rack or even a hook. I had to set the towel on the floor outside the shower when I got in so that it would be within reach when I was through. I did mention to the FDC that a hook near the shower would be nice.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:38 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Oh... and just checked (again, just for you) and OAK is 21.5 miles away from the Hyatt Fisherman's Wharf (via I-880 and I-80) while SFO is 15.4 miles away via US-101. But perhaps there's another commercial airport in the Bay Area that's closer... hoping you can further enlighten me?
I suspect the comparison was as the crow flies.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dayone
I suspect the comparison was as the crow flies.
Don't know many crows that follow highways...

Even the property website shows SFO being 15 miles and OAK 25. Next closest commercial airport is SJC and much further south. I can't even think of a private airport closer to this property.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
SFO was meant to indicate San Francisco and I put it there for those (probably very few) that may not know that Fisherman's Wharf is located in San Francisco (probably not many but you never know).
That was my take-away on it but we're digressing from the actual thread topic, which is the idiots who design Marriott rooms.

Cheers.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I was talking about actual distance, not walking (or driving) distance.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by apodo77
The renovated room pictures are up on the Marriott SFO Burlingame website now.

I consider that to be a desk (albeit a small one) and would be perfectly happy with it. Room reno looks nice to me. To each their own of course. 44 years old and a weekly business traveler for those keeping track of demographics.
Are there any hotels that understand that two people sharing a room might both have laptops and want to use a desk?
Old Jun 18, 2015, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sethb
Are there any hotels that understand that two people sharing a room might both have laptops and want to use a desk?
Now we're headed into a corner case, what if there are four people staying in the same room? Or if I carry two laptops...

Personally, I like having a desk and like to be able to spread out reports when working in the room. I really like the ones with the rolling table underneath that I can turn perpendicular and have a really nice workspace. Also makes for a nice dining table when needed.

If I find a property without an adequate work area, they will be scratched from my list for future stays. Just like if they are too noisy or have a bad network connection.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I'm currently in the Charlotte City Center Marriott, which is undergoing an "exciting" new renovation. Guy in the lounge said that it's supposed to be a flagship for future renovations. The letter in my room specifically mentioned that it was designed for or by (I forget which) Millenials for "the future of travel."

Whatever. Bed, Bathroom, Outlets, and Desk & I'm good. If they dump the desks, I'll dump the hotel. Lots of options in CLT.

Front desk tells me that the first new rooms will be available next week or so. I'm coming back in 3 weeks & will report if I get a new room.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:24 pm

"I drink tea not coffee, and US coffeemakers make tea that tastes like coffee. EU and Asia properties have tea kettles, which I use, except in Portugal where there does not seem to be tea anywhere in the entire country."
/////
I agree completely . I travel with my own Mighty Leaf tea bags as well as a water immersion heater and cup. Once was castigated by TSA, pulled over and dug through all my stuff, to find the water immersion heater. TSA brandished it like they had the goods on me and said, "And WHAT is THIS?????" When I explained, they let me and the heater go. I can sometimes make the coffee maker work if the grounds holder can be removed and there is a cup with will collect hot water.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by apodo77
If you ever go back at least you know to ask for a room with a desk.
No doubt about that!!
Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
I'm with you, Don, why shell out big bucks for some dumb designer room that is only useful as a page in the designer's portfolio? I have never been able to understand why hotels don't JUST ASK US before they waste millions so they can brag about how cool they are. We don't care about cool, we want to be able to function comfortably. This is not rocket science.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by judyserienagy
We don't care about cool, we want to be able to function comfortably. This is not rocket science.
It's not quite as simple as Looks Cool vs. Functional: Choose One. The truth is for most people both are important, though to varying degrees. The art-- or perhaps science, given the capabilities of modern Big Data-- is to strike the right balance between the two to win customers.

I know that for me, personally, both looks and function matter when I'm booking. Function definitely has to be there, but given two hotels that both meet my needs for comfort and functionality I will often choose the prettier one even if its location or price are not quite as good. The attractive environs help me enjoy my stay more.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I made it a rule many years ago never to live in a building designed by a famous architect.

Apparently a similar rule should apply for hotel rooms.

They should be designed for usability. That isn't difficult, it just requires a bit of thinking. Maybe it is difficult.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.