Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2015, 1:44 pm

I almost always use a desk when traveling, even for leisure. For business, it's helpful to put the computer down and sit instead of on the bed -- it's just more comfortable, and I don't like to do work while in bed. Personal preference.

On leisure trips, I sometimes have a computer for planning and research purposes. It's easier to do this with a desk. The desk is also helpful storage -- I like to put things there sometimes instead of drawers, as it's less likely I'll forget about them when leaving and packing.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by windhund
The desk is also helpful storage -- I like to put things there sometimes instead of drawers, as it's less likely I'll forget about them when leaving and packing.
+1

This is one case where out of sight, out of mind can have really bad consequences.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Baze
Hmmm, that table with the desk chair sure looks like a desk to me. Granted it is on the small size.
Go back and re-read the comment.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
I'll chime in as a Gen Xer - I haven't used the desk in a hotel for anything other than dropping my keys and change for years.

I adore the SpringHill Suites' idea of having a laptop tray that you can maneuver right into your lap as you lounge on the sectional, watch TV, and play with your laptop or tablet on the tray table.

I do agree that sometimes it gets a little fashion-forward with some of the renovations. But the hulking desks of the past only conjure up images of a Victorian granny in her hoop skirt using a quill and an inkwell to write out a letter of her travels to the family back home.

Besides, most desks in hotels these days are so littered with marketing collateral that there's about four square inches left anyway.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Besides, most desks in hotels these days are so littered with marketing collateral that there's about four square inches left anyway.
The first thing I do is shove all of that in a drawer.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
But the hulking desks of the past only conjure up images of a Victorian granny in her hoop skirt using a quill and an inkwell to write out a letter of her travels to the family back home.
We're discussing the typical Marriott desk of today, which is a light, simple work surface.
Old May 20, 2015, 11:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Let's not forget that a desk also doubles as a dining table.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Except the pens, of course. Those go straight to my bag.
Old May 21, 2015, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by justforfun
Let's not forget that a desk also doubles as a dining table.
Yes!

The desk is also useful when you are on family vacations - it provides space for playing board games, card games, and for the kids to colour/draw pictures, do their homework.

Even though I don't work, I still like a desk to put my ultrabook - I don't really putting a laptop on my lap. I don't believe all generation X hate desks.
Old May 21, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by dayone

And to be clear, Gen Y are the cool kids and it's the millennials who are twerps. Baby boomers just complain a lot.
And once again Gen X is completely ignored. Nope, not bitter
Old May 21, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I'm a Gen Xer and use the desk for dining, occasional work, and storage. I want a desk!
Old May 21, 2015, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Go back and re-read the comment.
Go back and read the thread, was already pointed out by the OP and I acknowledged my mistake. As in, the 2 posts immediately after the one you quoted.

Last edited by Baze; May 21, 2015 at 8:32 am
Old May 21, 2015, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Desk sanity prevails in the new "JW Marriott brand design ethos and aesthetic."
Intended to enhance and elevate the guest experience, the new distinguished rooms were inspired by the bespoke nature of a beautifully tailored suit. Guests will experience a calming color palate of deep chocolate, charcoal and pearl grey with small accents of pink and chrome reminiscent of a stylish pocket square and men's watch. Guests will also notice the textures of tweed, leather and herringbone stitching, as well as subtle patterns of Greek keys and paisley often seen on men's neckties.

Old May 21, 2015, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by dayone
Desk sanity prevails in the new "JW Marriott brand design ethos and aesthetic."
Intended to enhance and elevate the guest experience, the new distinguished rooms were inspired by the bespoke nature of a beautifully tailored suit. Guests will experience a calming color palate of deep chocolate, charcoal and pearl grey with small accents of pink and chrome reminiscent of a stylish pocket square and men's watch. Guests will also notice the textures of tweed, leather and herringbone stitching, as well as subtle patterns of Greek keys and paisley often seen on men's neckties.

That looks like a real desk to me.
Old May 21, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
+1

My computer goes right on the desk when I get in the room. I do not like sitting in a chair, or worse, the bed, to use the computer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.