Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Stayed at a Couryard recently. Bonus points for whoever remodeled the room... bathroom door would hit the toilet and would be unable to fully open.

And I don't mean a person on the toilet, I mean the door opened into the bathroom and hit the front of the bowl and not be able to fully open

I stay at a particular Autograph Collection often and some of the larger king bed rooms have showers with doors where the door is opposite the shower head/knob and there is ~5-6ft from the door to the shower knob. Essentially impossible to turn on the shower without getting blasted with cold water in the process.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It wasn't the Courtyard in Waikiki was it? Some of those rooms are excruciatingly tiny.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by phltraveler
Stayed at a Couryard recently. Bonus points for whoever remodeled the room... bathroom door would hit the toilet and would be unable to fully open.

And I don't mean a person on the toilet, I mean the door opened into the bathroom and hit the front of the bowl and not be able to fully open
It really surprises me that we haven't heard from FlyerTalk members who have been part of some kind of focus group or other similar process where real travelers have reviewed drawings and mock-ups of proposed room renovations. I mean, who would you ask other than your best and most expressive customers?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by DL-Don
It really surprises me that we haven't heard from FlyerTalk members who have been part of some kind of focus group or other similar process where real travelers have reviewed drawings and mock-ups of proposed room renovations. I mean, who would you ask other than your best and most expressive customers?
Unfortunately, FT members are not an audience MR recognizes as a valuable resource. I even doubt we are a significant volume of customers. They used to participate on FT quite a bit but then invented Marriott Insiders and went off to do their own thing where they can fully control what is and isn't presented. Don't expect any postings here to get any traction with MR.

As for the room design, I am sure their "consultants" got paid big bucks to present a new theme and that may or may not have included any travellers be they Marriott customers or some other chain. We went through a similar "revamping", where the consultants interviewed the team members and made the very same presentation we gave months before and it was adopted! The fact that they paid thousands of dollars for someone's advice that they had received for free was not a concern. It showed they did due diligence to get an outside perspective.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
Stop complaining. I worked as a bellhop in a fancy Marriott during college. Some of the rooms had....

...no bed!

They were supposed to be used as hospitality rooms or some such, but when the hotel filled up, the stragglers got these empty rooms.

Of course they would roll in a cot if asked, but I wonder if anyone just slept on the floor.

Regardless, imagine paying $300 per night for a cot.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by rbrenton88
Stop complaining. I worked as a bellhop in a fancy Marriott during college. Some of the rooms had....

...no bed!

They were supposed to be used as hospitality rooms or some such, but when the hotel filled up, the stragglers got these empty rooms.

Of course they would roll in a cot if asked, but I wonder if anyone just slept on the floor.

Regardless, imagine paying $300 per night for a cot.
I've seen hospitality rooms with Murphy beds, but not that (unless the hotel just removed a bed because someone wanted to use a room for hospitality).
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I just stayed at the newly refurbished Renaissance in St Louis Thursday night, no desk. Nothing you could even fashion into a desk. It was awful. I sent an email to the hotel explaining I will never stay there again unless they change this. It is the dumbest thing I have ever seen, especially for what is, I assume, a very heavy business traveler hotel.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Burlington Marriott, still has a desk, even has adequate dresser space.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
I drink tea not coffee, and US coffeemakers make tea that tastes like coffee. EU and Asia properties have tea kettles, which I use, except in Portugal where there does not seem to be tea anywhere in the entire country.
We bought a French Press while staying at the Kensington Marriott so we could make coffee in the room. Left it there for the maid when we checked out as well.

$10 FrenchPress + tea kettle > $3 coffee from Stabucks
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Marriott Oakland.

TV bolted on the dresser and in many rooms, the TV is on one side of the room - essentially parallel to the bed. You can see the screen from one side of the bed and can't tilt it.

Idiots!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
All you fifty-somethings complaining about no desks - I just turned 40 this year and to me this is a deal breaker too. No way.

As for some other complaints (non frosted bathroom doors, etc.) some properties (not Marriott) in Europe have had glass in the showers that opened right up to the main part of the room.

If this Marriott with no desk thing takes chain-wide, I'll avoid Marriott.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
Courtyard Pentagon South - I generally stay here when I have to work out of the Mark Center. While not a gem by any means, the location is ideal when I need to get in and out. Unfortunately, they've been replacing the bed/headboard/night stands in some of the rooms. In the rooms that they've replaced the bed, they've somehow managed to wire the bedside (wall mounted) lamps to main switch by the door into the room. I checked behind the bed to see if they were just plugged into the wall, but they weren't. Real PITA; you can't have a bedside light on without the entryway, closet area and hallway being fully lit.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UnderEst
Courtyard Pentagon South - I generally stay here when I have to work out of the Mark Center. While not a gem by any means, the location is ideal when I need to get in and out. Unfortunately, they've been replacing the bed/headboard/night stands in some of the rooms. In the rooms that they've replaced the bed, they've somehow managed to wire the bedside (wall mounted) lamps to main switch by the door into the room. I checked behind the bed to see if they were just plugged into the wall, but they weren't. Real PITA; you can't have a bedside light on without the entryway, closet area and hallway being fully lit.
So you can't just shut off the bedside light and go to sleep? That would really suck.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
I just stayed at the newly refurbished Renaissance in St Louis Thursday night, no desk. Nothing you could even fashion into a desk. It was awful. I sent an email to the hotel explaining I will never stay there again unless they change this. It is the dumbest thing I have ever seen, especially for what is, I assume, a very heavy business traveler hotel.
Was it the Renaissance Grand in downtown? If so it will be rebranding to a Marriott on 8/17 (indeed there are no desks):

Please Note – As of August 17, 2015, we will become the new Marriott St Louis Grand Hotel with new guest rooms and new Greatroom lobby
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Add the Beverly Hills Marriott to the list of properties without a desk. Just had first trip report there.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.