Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
During my last stay at the Ren in Boca Raton, they had a whole trailer of dressers delivered and installed in every room. They were tired of constantly moving the small number they had from room to room as just about every guest commented on the fact that there was no dresser.

After their winter makeover, they at least kept their full closets and still had a desk chair and small desk space with lamp. More of an enhanced ledge, but it was deeper than the nook under the TV that the Marriotts have been getting.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 9:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by apodo77
Is it? Or has the changes actually been overall well received? Is FT Marriott indicative of the overall Marriott consumer or is it a tiny minority of the most well seasoned consumer? I don't have the answers and we will never know for sure.

Stayed in a Marriott with no desk for the first time and didn't bothere me at all (Was on business and 45 years old for anyone curious).
Well given some of the GMs of various properties have said they're getting lots of complaints & are looking into bringing them back or have done so, I'd say it's not universally well-received.

Cheers.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 3:51 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TheLifeOfA_NKCM
Anyone travelling on business is going to generally appreciate a desk, otherwise, much less-so.
I disagree. Even on a leisure trip I'd be extremely unhappy if I didn't have a desk. I take notes, open books and place my laptop on the desk when working with them. Doing this without a desk feels like trying to get things done inside a commuter train.

HTB.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by apodo77
Is it? Or has the changes actually been overall well received? Is FT Marriott indicative of the overall Marriott consumer or is it a tiny minority of the most well seasoned consumer? I don't have the answers and we will never know for sure.

Stayed in a Marriott with no desk for the first time and didn't bothere me at all (Was on business and 45 years old for anyone curious).
I've stayed in at least five different marriotts in five different states in the past six months and they all had a desk, except for the suite we booked in D.C. which had a large kitchen table, instead of a desk, I guess. I'm actually at a Marriott right now, and it's in a resort town and people are obviously here for leisure, and it still has the (small) desk under the TV. So if they're intending to get rid of desks, I haven't seen it really come into effect personally.

I must say, though, the distinction of travelling for 'business' and for 'leisure' is getting to be a fuzzy one. more and more people work from their computers - not just people who are self employed or who are writers/bloggers by profession, but even people who get 'business' work done on 'leisure' trips. So even if it's not a hotel intended for business travelers, I think a lot of people would prefer it to have a desk. I know I would - I"m an academic, so I'm kind of always working, and I need a desk and internet access wherever I am.

Good to hear they've been getting complaints about it. Hopefully I never have to see these changes myself.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 9:57 am
soy

Programs: various
They have reversed course and desks are again part of standard layout

Amazing that it took so long to realize this was a dumb idea from the outset.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/desk-back...134411202.html
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by soy
They have reversed course and desks are again part of standard layout

Amazing that it took so long to realize this was a dumb idea from the outset.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/desk-back...134411202.html
That's interesting & if true, yeah.

But - final paragraph:

"The redesign has been completed in more than 10,000 rooms at 25 hotels, including Marriotts in Charlotte, North Carolina, and in Brooklyn, New York, and another 25 hotels are scheduled to have renovations completed by the end of the year. A total of 108 hotels are in the pipeline."

Charlotte post-renovation doesn't have a desk.

BTW - also from the article:

"The desks in what Marriott is calling its "modern guest rooms" are on wheels so you can move them around the room to work where you want."

That only works if you've got a matching chair of the appropriate height. Some of the moving around have moved around to a sofa where the back is farther away or you have to lean forward uncomfortably. FWIW - I don't have anything against desks that move, as long as you've got a desk chair too.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's interesting & if true, yeah.

But - final paragraph:

"The redesign has been completed in more than 10,000 rooms at 25 hotels, including Marriotts in Charlotte, North Carolina, and in Brooklyn, New York, and another 25 hotels are scheduled to have renovations completed by the end of the year. A total of 108 hotels are in the pipeline."

Charlotte post-renovation doesn't have a desk.

BTW - also from the article:

"The desks in what Marriott is calling its "modern guest rooms" are on wheels so you can move them around the room to work where you want."

That only works if you've got a matching chair of the appropriate height. Some of the moving around have moved around to a sofa where the back is farther away or you have to lean forward uncomfortably. FWIW - I don't have anything against desks that move, as long as you've got a desk chair too.

Cheers.
Great point, we need pictures or better yet, first hand reports. I used to have a full marble L shaped desk at the Boca Renaissance, perfect for working while eating while watching TV. Now it's work with my nose 10" from the wall, can't see TV, can't easily eat. Depressing for more than 10 minutes.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by catocony
During my last stay at the Ren in Boca Raton, they had a whole trailer of dressers delivered and installed in every room. They were tired of constantly moving the small number they had from room to room as just about every guest commented on the fact that there was no dresser.

After their winter makeover, they at least kept their full closets and still had a desk chair and small desk space with lamp. More of an enhanced ledge, but it was deeper than the nook under the TV that the Marriotts have been getting.
Thanks for the update. I bailed on them in July after 16 years, 12 times a year.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Thanks for the update. I bailed on them in July after 16 years, 12 times a year.
Contact the GM & let him know why you bailed after 16/12. He needs to know it's costing him revenue.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:30 am

Ohh, they know.

They were supposed to put in dressers before my arrival, but that didn't happen. Plus this doesn't help with the crap desk (a ledge against the wall), the crap nightstands (no drawers), removal of full length mirror, narrower shower/no tub, etc. It was an almost inconceivable waste of money as the furniture wasn't that pad and they didn't do anything about the things that needed it (better color scheme, better TVs).

They did go to readily avialable feather pillows though, another one of my gripes, the only one fixed.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Ohh, they know.

They were supposed to put in dressers before my arrival, but that didn't happen. Plus this doesn't help with the crap desk (a ledge against the wall), the crap nightstands (no drawers), removal of full length mirror, etc.
Post on TripAdvisor too if you haven't already done so (re: all the crap stuff).

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 1:23 pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireSto...rooms-42361356
Old Sep 26, 2016, 5:27 pm

Posted a few posts above yours & holes already posted re: the story.

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:35 am

none of this addresses my biggest beef... i get to my room after a long day, all i want to do is relax and watch a little tv... i see a nice, big HDTV, turn it on and 80% of the channels are fuzzy SD channels. plus, there is no program guide, a feature that is available on 100% of all cable and satellite systems in the world, and it takes 5 seconds to change the channel. it would be nice if these things were addressed in any remodeled hotel.

as far as the this desk situation goes, i don't think i care much. 90% of my travel is for business and i can take it or leave it. it's a bigger problem that the chairs in the rooms are uncomfortable and the furniture is often needlessly BIG. do i need a six-drawer dresser for a three-night stay? NO, and since most people stay very short-term, no one else does either.

and no, i am not a "millennial"
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by squatch
none of this addresses my biggest beef... i get to my room after a long day, all i want to do is relax and watch a little tv... i see a nice, big HDTV, turn it on and 80% of the channels are fuzzy SD channels. plus, there is no program guide, a feature that is available on 100% of all cable and satellite systems in the world, and it takes 5 seconds to change the channel. it would be nice if these things were addressed in any remodeled hotel.

as far as the this desk situation goes, i don't think i care much. 90% of my travel is for business and i can take it or leave it. it's a bigger problem that the chairs in the rooms are uncomfortable and the furniture is often needlessly BIG. do i need a six-drawer dresser for a three-night stay? NO, and since most people stay very short-term, no one else does either.

and no, i am not a "millennial"
I bet a lot of hotels got bit by the digital TV transition. Those that have a CCTV system did not have to upgrade all the rooms as their system is capable to convert digital signals to analog. Just like with HSIA, you've got some very uneducated people making purchasing decisions based upon what they are told by the sales reps. I couldn't keep from laughing when a sat TV sales rep was giving a sales pitch to a property manager in the lobby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.