Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
This really didn't belong in Marriott forum - was recently assigned a "upgraded" room sans desk at a full service Hilton business hotel in major city. Which of course I rejected.
I do think it is valuable information, that it is a trend across the industry.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
Please name the hotel. I stay at Hiltons in major cities, and I want to know which I have to be careful about.
Boston Hilton Copley Place. I was re- assigned to a very nice room with a desk, so I would not avoid the property but instead just make your requirements known.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, UA LT Gold, Hertz PC, 5 MM+ miles
Silicon Valley (home of the Millenials) Still Has Desks

Residence Inn in Los Altos/Palo Alto was refurbished in the past 18 months and has a great set up: desk (now located at the window instead of the entrance to the room) with excellent desk chair and light, lots of plugs, and a moveable table at the couch that can hold your laptop (or papers, etc.) if you prefer to work that way. At the entrance to the room, still another place to recharge devices. I told the general manger, don't let them remove the desks the next time around and she fully understood.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I have a reservation at the EWR Marriott coming up so I called and they made a note in my reservations that I wanted a room with a desk.
So... I show up today and THIS is what they call a desk:

No lamp, no phone... a flat spot right next to the TV. To make it worse, the TV doesn't swivel. It is fixed parallel to the wall behind it so its optimal viewing angle is ONLY available when you watch it from the bed.

I talked to the hotel manager (not the front desk manager) and he sent me up one of the old style desks and a lamp with outlet in the base. The maintenance guy says they are getting tons of complaints about the lack of work space in the room. I also got the "millennials like to work on the bed" story from him but he says he got it from the designers who did the rooms.

Humm... Maybe I should get Hilton to match my status

Last edited by DL-Don; Nov 3, 2015 at 6:58 pm
Old Nov 2, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by DL-Don
Humm... Maybe I should get Hilton to match my status
Except for in our corporate monkey see, monkey do world, its probably not long before this becomes the new standard especially if merger mania takes hold.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards Gold, Club Carlson, Starwood Gold, AAdvantage
I realize I'm late to the thread, but I'm still stunned at the clear or frosted bathroom doors. We stayed at a Marriott hotel in Spain (AC), and not only was the shower door "frosted" but the separate door to the toilet was ALSO "frosted" (I'm say frosted lightly) AND the doors did not meet the ceiling. Literally gave no privacy. Although we have been together for many many years, we still didn't see the need for the lack of privacy on that matter.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:26 am
Original Poster

Got a call from the Operations Manager at the EWR Marriott about some problems with my stay this week. We talked a lot about the desk issue and he stated that they were getting many, many complaints about it. Apparently other properties are as well and corporate is hearing them too. I told him there's about the FlyerTalk wiki tracking hotels without desks. He wasn't aware of it before but thought its existence is further proof of the misguided efforts to "meet the needs of millennials."
Old Nov 5, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: DL: PM, MR: Plat, AMEX Plat
As someone who's on the border of Gen X and Millennial generations, I'm absolutely flummoxed as to why they think Millennial needs are different.

The only changes I'd want to see are:
1) Better premium-tier internet speed
2) Being able to easily access video streaming services. How great would it be if we could store our Netflix/HBO Go/Hulu Plus/Amazon logins within our Marriott profile, and it would automatically log us in to those services in our hotel rooms. That would be a killer feature.

I fail to see why any research would say that eliminating the desk was a good idea. Or that reducing bathroom privacy in the name of trendy design was a good idea.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Sousaphil
As someone who's on the border of Gen X and Millennial generations, I'm absolutely flummoxed as to why they think Millennial needs are different.

2) Being able to easily access video streaming services. How great would it be if we could store our Netflix/HBO Go/Hulu Plus/Amazon logins within our Marriott profile, and it would automatically log us in to those services in our hotel rooms. That would be a killer feature.

I fail to see why any research would say that eliminating the desk was a good idea. Or that reducing bathroom privacy in the name of trendy design was a good idea.
A designer will not get many clients if they said you've got it right. That and things coming from an outside source gets more credence than those inside.

My company hired consultants that interviewed the staff and they presented what we had be asking all along and it was approved! Thousands of dollars for what they were getting for free.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

+1

I cannot fathom that anyone would ever tell a hotel, "I refuse to stay at your hotel because you have desks in your rooms!" The opposite obviously cannot be said.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Ask and ye shall receive (sort of -- no storing of the logins in your profile).

http://www.marriott.com/travel-deals/internet-tv.mi

Apparently available at the property I'm at this week.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I saw this online today & stimpy posted it in the roll call thread yesterday, but a sports columnist just wrote about the no desk issue.

http://danwetzelsports.tumblr.com/po...-my-hotel-room
Old Dec 9, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bennos
Ask and ye shall receive (sort of -- no storing of the logins in your profile).

http://www.marriott.com/travel-deals/internet-tv.mi

Apparently available at the property I'm at this week.
available in the property i am staying in right now. gonna check this out.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I saw this online today & stimpy posted it in the roll call thread yesterday, but a sports columnist just wrote about the no desk issue.

http://danwetzelsports.tumblr.com/po...-my-hotel-room
Good article. I'll bet not having desks involves some kind of cost cutting, a move that Marriott management loves while they try to put a positive spin on eliminating desks and desk lamps, etc.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by HereAndThere
Good article. I'll bet not having desks involves some kind of cost cutting, a move that Marriott management loves while they try to put a positive spin on eliminating desks and desk lamps, etc.
Just like only changing the sheets every third day and asking you to hang up and re-use towels is to 'save water' and not to reduce their laundry bills and housekeeping hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.