Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Idiots who Design Marriott Rooms

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2015, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Slate article picked up on the Wetzel blog. Marriott didn't respond to request for comment.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...llennials.html

Cheers.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Hope Dan sometime soon gets to stay at a Marriott with the glass door to the bathroom.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
Hope Dan sometime soon gets to stay at a Marriott with the glass door to the bathroom.
He's probably on the road in a room by himself, so the glass door to the bathroom might not be as important to him as no desk.

Cheers.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
He's probably on the road in a room by himself, so the glass door to the bathroom might not be as important to him as no desk.
True; when you're by yourself, it's irrelevant.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I recently stayed at the FS Marriott in Boca Raton, FL. Much to my chagrin, since I was there last, a complete renovation of the rooms was done leaving just a slab and small chair right in front of the TV. If you sit at the "desk" your nose is right against the TV.

I talked to the manager, and was told they are getting a LOT of complaints about this, and they keep passing it up to corporate.

From now on I will call properties in advance of booking, and if a proper desk and chair is not available, I'll look elsewhere. This is a deal-breaker for me.
Old Dec 12, 2015, 4:10 pm

Hopefully the folk who are going to start staying elsewhere will let management know the reason they're picking other properties (or chains).

Cheers.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hopefully the folk who are going to start staying elsewhere will let management know the reason they're picking other properties (or chains).

Cheers.
Yes, it's very important any shift in stays due to the lack of desks or private baths be communicated to the properties. And using more public venues like Trip Advisor will make this change much more visible. Unfortunately, I suspect most will just change where they stay and at best post here on FT where it will never be seen by anyone at Marriott. About the same effect as all those morning mirror conversations.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 7:56 am

Ugh!

Ugh!

And this is the company that is going to takeover my beloved Starwood and SPG program.

Feh.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Globehopper
Ugh!

And this is the company that is going to takeover my beloved Starwood and SPG program.

Feh.
That's not been decided... There have been some buyouts where the acquired company becomes the driving force after the merger. My hope is Marriott perceives a value in the Starwood portfolio beyond just the properties and will implement the best of both programs.

Still holding out for Marriott Preferred Guest (MPG) to exceed MR & SPG current offerings.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:12 am

no desk=no marriott stay for me
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:15 am
Suspended

if your thinking is that the UA-CO merger leaving the incompetents in CO to control UA will be implemented in a MR-SPG merger one big item not applicable is in the UA-CO merger the merged company were the owners vrs the MR-SPG merger where neither MR or SPG own anything and if you think the joint 5000+ hotel owners are just gonna fork over the best of both worlds then IMO you're living in a dream world.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
That's not been decided... There have been some buyouts where the acquired company becomes the driving force after the merger. My hope is Marriott perceives a value in the Starwood portfolio beyond just the properties and will implement the best of both programs.

Still holding out for Marriott Preferred Guest (MPG) to exceed MR & SPG current offerings.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 8:18 am
Suspended

promise !?

cross your heart and hope to die.

Originally Posted by MrAOK
no desk=no marriott stay for me
Old Dec 13, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: US Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
There's a real nice Residence Inn the other side of the airport at Oyster Point. They have a great place to walk/run right on the water. I'm in and out of SFO frequently and last time I was there the room had a desk.

BTW - I don't recommend the Courtyard at Oyster Point. The BART train goes right by there. Very LOUD and unpleasant. Plus no breakfast.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leeky
if your thinking is that the UA-CO merger leaving the incompetents in CO to control UA will be implemented in a MR-SPG merger one big item not applicable is in the UA-CO merger the merged company were the owners vrs the MR-SPG merger where neither MR or SPG own anything and if you think the joint 5000+ hotel owners are just gonna fork over the best of both worlds then IMO you're living in a dream world.
Thinking the merger will result in the best for the members, is not what I am expecting. Somehow someone will need to make a decision how the programs will look after the merger (if the programs even merge at all). I do think it is fair to say they will pick what they think is best. If we get any pluses out of it, then great!

I'm near LTP in both programs, any combination of the numbers should result in me being LTP in the end. Am I banking on that? No. What will I end up with when it's all over, I have no clue.

Dream world or nightmare... yet to be determined.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 11:49 am

and back to the discussion of rooms w/o desks and leave the what will the programs look like in the starwood/marriott mega-thread

Talked to the GM of the LAS Marriott & he said they're keeping their desks Given it's next to a convention center & a lot of biz folk staying there, my guess is he thinks people working at their desks might be greater in number than those who are willing to work on a bed hunched up against a pillow.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.