Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Vince Chan
"It was our anniversary and they delivered a small complimentary bottle of champagne and with chocolate covered strawberries about 30 minutes after we arrived. "

I had read information like this a dozen time, I am just curious, how the hotel would know that this stay is for anniversary or birthday, and they would deliver some complimentary cake or something. Do you need to mention this when you check in? Or specifically told the hotel that this stay is for special ? Would that be a little pretentious to expect for something from other people?
Someone would have to notify the property, either in advance or at check-in. It should be noted that not all properties deliver champagne & other goodies. Some people mention special events like birthdays or anniversaries & get nothing at all.

Cheers.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 7:31 am
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I callled ahead and was told children 12 and under can accompany the guest +1. In our experience staying there last week we four showed up every morning and there was never an issue.
Lots of differing stories about lounge access.

We booked two rooms in mid- February - there will be 5 guests total.
DH is gold, me, 14 year old, 11 year old and Grandma. FOr simplicity, I hope all 5 of us can get complimentary breakfast!

I'll post back our lounge access.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PBQ

DH is gold, me, 14 year old, 11 year old and Grandma. FOr simplicity, I hope all 5 of us can get complimentary breakfast!

Ummm... I'm not all that versed on Marriott, but comp breakfast for five, with only one elite member, seems quite a stretch IMHO, particularly since only one child is under 12

Regards
Old Feb 3, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by PBQ

Taken right from the activity guide, word for word, that i received in December (bolding mine as i think it pertains to your situation):

================================================== ==
PLATINUM & GOLD MARRIOTT REWARDS MEMBERS Located on the lobby level of our hotel we have an Executive Lounge, exclusively for our Platinum & Gold Marriott Rewards members. At check-in you will receive a Gold Key to get access into the lounge and the hours are listed on the back of the key. The last hour of the breakfast on the weekends does tend to get busy so if you would like sit without a wait we recommend coming in earlier. Please review the rules of the lounge prior to your arrival:

Only the Platinum or Gold Member gets access with one additional guest. If you have booked multiple rooms only your room gets access with one additional guest.

•The lounge is only for the member themselves, so if you are not traveling and have booked a reservation for a friend/family member under your name, they will not get access.

•Food cannot be taken out of the lounge.
================================================== ==

They have a great lounge and I think the numbers work (financially) for it as long as the rules are followed. Whats that saying, "this is why we cant have nice things"?

Although I am surprised they do not allow the members children. Why not just add the extra costs on to your reservation for the extra three people, if possible? A quick call should be all it takes.
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Looking at this hotel vs the Ritz Central Park or the St. Regis. Hope to be Marriott/SPG plat by the time of stay. I see St. Regis available on cash and points, but Ritz and JW are also pretty good point values in terms of SPG-Marriott conversion (one bed suite available at JW for 28,000 SP). Any suggestions/preferences? Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by svo242
Looking at this hotel vs the Ritz Central Park or the St. Regis. Hope to be Marriott/SPG plat by the time of stay. I see St. Regis available on cash and points, but Ritz and JW are also pretty good point values in terms of SPG-Marriott conversion (one bed suite available at JW for 28,000 SP). Any suggestions/preferences? Thanks!
JW will give you lounge access as a Plat/Gold.
Ritz won't give you lounge access unless you get a club room or use upgrade certificate if you have the Ritz card.

They are both within a block from each other.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just stayed here for one night. Booked a "Manhattan Suite," upgraded at check-in to what was described as a "Park View" suite which meant that one window in the bedroom had a view of the park. Suite was very spacious but furnishings were dated and really beat up and there was no cohesive design - just random pieces thrown in the room. On the plus side, the bed was super comfortable.

Had problems with the automated lighting. Lights in the living room kept turning themselves on and are very difficult to turn off . . . you have to press and hold each switch for several seconds. Entire system should be scrapped.

Lounge breakfast was very nice, but service was nonexistent.

Overall a pleasant stay but disappointed by the state of the room. Mine was really desperately in need of a full remodel. Might stay again if the price is right, but not the "go to" property I had hoped it would be.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta Plat, United Silver, Marriott LT Titanium, HHonors Silver, Hertz PC
I was also here this weekend, booked on points and received no upgrade as Plat. They were selling Junior Suites and regular rooms until day before arrival but slowly dwindled to nothing and was told they ultimately sold out. I was doing express checkout on the tv and saw the rewards redemption room charge listed as $353 which was about $31 more than they were selling the room for, thought that was interesting.

My King room had a window into the internal courtyard and supposedly was the biggest in the category but agree things were a little dated. The carpet did not seem very clean and the shades/blinds were frayed around edges but the bed was nice, bathroom was clean and I didn't hear any noise from outside. I agree with Kacee about the difficult light switches, just replace them with regular ones.

Instead of thinking lounge, think decent but very busy cafeteria! The front desk was nice to mention at check in to go early as it gets very crowded towards the end and they weren't kidding. It is not open in evening on Friday or Saturday, just for breakfast.

Overall, a fine stay with good location but I will try someplace else next time.

Last edited by dc2005b; Feb 21, 2017 at 9:21 am Reason: Edited to add they nicely allowed early check in at 1:30pm and pro-actively offered late check out which wasn't needed.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by dc2005b
Instead of thinking lounge, think decent but very busy cafeteria! The front desk was nice to mention at check in to go early as it gets very crowded towards the end and they weren't kidding. It is not open in evening on Friday or Saturday, just for breakfast.
Keep in mind that that cafeteria is the same buffett that is offered in the restaurant accessed on the other side and I shudder to think what the cash cost is. $35, 39? pp? Definitely one of the better lounge breakfast's in the Marriott system (US).
Old Feb 21, 2017, 9:50 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dc2005b
They were selling Junior Suites and regular rooms until day before arrival but slowly dwindled to nothing and was told they ultimately sold out. I was doing express checkout on the tv and saw the rewards redemption room charge listed as $353 which was about $31 more than they were selling the room for, thought that was interesting.
This was a super cheap weekend in NYC. I originally booked a junior suite about a month ago at over $500, then watched the rates drop. Changed several times, and wound up with a master suite at $462 (with junior suite down to $363). They were selling the basic rooms for $239 (AAA rate) on Thursday and Friday nights.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:02 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by scubadu
Ummm... I'm not all that versed on Marriott, but comp breakfast for five, with only one elite member, seems quite a stretch IMHO, particularly since only one child is under 12

Regards
I booked a junior suite and was upgraded to a one bedroom family suite when I asked upon arrival.
The other room we booked was a regular queen room for one person.

When I checked in with my children standing behind me, the receptionist gave me our keys, explained how to get to our room and explained that we were welcome, with our children, to visit the lounge.

Each morning and evening the four of us entered the lounge without any questions by the Marriott staff.

I booked the junior suite (then upgraded to the one bedroom) for $385, $360 and $425/ night... fyi

Last edited by PBQ; Feb 23, 2017 at 6:09 pm
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Keep in mind that that cafeteria is the same buffett that is offered in the restaurant accessed on the other side and I shudder to think what the cash cost is. $35, 39? pp? Definitely one of the better lounge breakfast's in the Marriott system (US).
i agree. My husband hates lounge breakfasts and buffets in general and he was quite pleased with the breakfast at the Essex House. (In the interest of getting moving in the morning, I forced the family to eat in the lounge 4 of our 5 mornings). Most of our Marriott stays are on the East Coast so that's my frame of reference but it was definitely the best we had in recent years. As said above, it was breakfast off the restaurant buffet, not the typical lounge offering.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Among domestic Marriott-brand lounges, in my experience Essex House is by far the best in terms of food and it's not even close. The breakfast is superb in taste and selection (quantity and quality). On weekday evenings, if you don't want to go out, the meal offering can truly serve as a dinner (as opposed to heated appetizers which is the case in most other places).

The seating area's not huge, and I don't like that cell reception is difficult there, but those are minor quibbles. Also, I was told once that I couldn't take food out of the lounge (as I had been doing regularly as I prefer to eat in my room while watching TV), but again, I can live with the tradeoff.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Absolutely. The best 45,000 point lounge I've been to in a long, long time. Contrasted to the SF JW.

My very minor quibble is a shot of good vodka is $16+ and they insist on serving it so you can't even try and even it out...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by dcchi
I don't like that cell reception is difficult there
Many would consider that an amenity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.