Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2014, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NDDomer86
Are you saying you were downgraded from what you booked or that you were not given the view/upgrade that you expected? Either way it is not a walk, though the former is a much more formidable case than the latter even for a "by invitation only" Platinum Premiere.
Booking a normal guest room and getting the very worst of the batch, I would consider a downgrade. Yes

(The language was chosen for Tripadvisor. They don't know what a PP is on that site. )
Old Apr 27, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Automatic Marriott upgrades are a myth, you must be proactive in your request beforehand and throw around your PP status. The FD doesn't care, especially here. Not saying its right, its just the way it is (in the US is only my experience).

I've been coming here for meetings for years, finally stayed a night a few weeks ago and was not impressed.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by joshua362
Automatic Marriott upgrades are a myth, you must be proactive in your request beforehand and throw around your PP status. The FD doesn't care, especially here. Not saying its right, its just the way it is (in the US is only my experience).

I've been coming here for meetings for years, finally stayed a night a few weeks ago and was not impressed.
I don't like to act like a dykwia. But I did get the "there are 12
platinum premiers checking in today" story. Mind you the Penguins were there.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Allvest

I was offered a central Park view room but along with the "I had this set aside for an anniversary weekend couple who are only gold"

Now how does a gold trump a PP for a. Upgrade?
Probably because the Gold member contacted the property in advance to let them know it was an anniversary & the property, trying to honor a special event in the Gold's life, reserved a central park view for them.

I don't like to act like a dykwia. But I did get the "there are 12 platinum premiers checking in today" story. Mind you the Penguins were there.
Actually, IMO, you did act like a DYKWIA. Given it's Manhattan & the Penguins were there, it's not surprising that there were a # of PPs checking in. I do agree that PP/Ps should not get the short end of the straw, but sometimes it happens. #firstworldproblems BTW - a real jail cell wouldn't have as nice a bed, toilet, etc

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:49 pm

Yes. For $300+ a night I don't book a jail cell. Do you ever look at their website? I see beautiful views and NOTHING stating that a standard room is a jail cell. So yea. It's THAT bad."
You're joking right? I mean you are complaining about only paying $300+ in Manhattan (which isn't expensive as the Marquis, REN, and JW are usually over $400 minimum) and not getting a Central Park view??

Anyway like I said. I had amazing views and super clean rooms at the Residence inn. For less money.
Views of what? 6th Avenue (Times Square location which really isn't) or Lexington Avenue (Midtown East)??
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:31 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Probably because the Gold member contacted the property in advance to let them know it was an anniversary & the property, trying to honor a special event in the Gold's life, reserved a central park view for them.

Call me cynical but I know of people who pull that trick almost every-time they go somewhere. Marriott really does need to consider some sort of system guaranteed upgrade for PP's & other high spenders, so this sort of thing doesn't occur.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So should a Gold with a legitimate special event never get upgraded because there's always going to be P's and PP's ahead of them?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
So should a Gold with a legitimate special event never get upgraded because there's always going to be P's and PP's ahead of them?
After several hundred nights with Marriott I can count the suite upgrades on one hand, actually 2 fingers. I've asked ahead of time for an upgrade twice and was unsuccessfully both times. If the gold with a special event bats at the same average I don't have a problem. But right now I don't think the Platinum and PP upgrade percentage is in Marriott's best interest.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
After several hundred nights with Marriott I can count the suite upgrades on one hand, actually 2 fingers. I've asked ahead of time for an upgrade twice and was unsuccessfully both times. If the gold with a special event bats at the same average I don't have a problem. But right now I don't think the Platinum and PP upgrade percentage is in Marriott's best interest.
Or maybe it is in Marriott's best interest if it's low . Anyway, upgrades int'ly are usually easier to come by than domestically if one is considering a suite the upgrade. They are available domestically, but seem to be more you have to really work on it.

And as mentioned many times whether one gets an upgrade is dependent on length of stay (longer stays don't normally get suite upgrades, whereas shorter stays have a better chance), how many suites a property actually has (some have quite a few & some very few), how many PP, P, Gs are checking in & what time they check in, location of property (some properties get a higher % of elites - financial district, Silicon Valley, etc) come to mind.

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
You're joking right? I mean you are complaining about only paying $300+ in Manhattan (which isn't expensive as the Marquis, REN, and JW are usually over $400 minimum) and not getting a Central Park view??

Views of what? 6th Avenue (Times Square location which really isn't) or Lexington Avenue (Midtown East)??
1/. The Wednesday of that week I could have booked a room at RC battery park for less and received an automatic upgrade to a Statue of Liberty view room. I just have been staying there so many times I wanted to give Essex house a try

2/. View over all of upper manhattan, gw bridge, both rivers, partial time square view plus way above Central Park with complete birds eye view. The sheep meadow looked precisely its part, 54th floor. Amazing. Not only that but residence inn upgrades two rooms for me on checkin (one was already booked there for my family).

The penguins staying there doesn't mean that as PP I should get the absolute worst room in the house.

I keep looking at their website. It's full of references to beautiful Central Park views and nothing at all about "no view" or even "limited view" rooms. To me it's misleading and grossly distorting their "deluxe king" room.

I have never ever in 15 years found the need to spend more than $350 pee night and usually (third night free promos) it works out to under $250. Marriott financial center, RC battery park, r57c courtyard upper east side, marquis, R TS an so on.

Go ahead and spend your 400 + if it makes you feel better or richer to do so.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:37 pm

Well you've vented about it enough - got it out of your system yet? Time to move on...

Cheers.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:03 pm

1/. The Wednesday of that week I could have booked a room at RC battery park for less and received an automatic upgrade to a Statue of Liberty view room. I just have been staying there so many times I wanted to give Essex house a try.
You brought up RI, not RC. RI's in Manhattan really only have street views. I don't consider a view of the side of Times Square or seeing some trees in CP from 4+ avenues away being "views."

Go ahead and spend your 400 + if it makes you feel better or richer to do so.
LOL. Don't worry, I don't.... I have an Exclusive Resorts membership....
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
This isn't even about suites. Should a gold with a special occasion never even get a decent view for a special occasion.

We have asked for one special upgrade once in 7 years as a plat and didn't get it for our 20th wedding anniversary.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
This isn't even about suites. Should a gold with a special occasion never even get a decent view for a special occasion.

We have asked for one special upgrade once in 7 years as a plat and didn't get it for our 20th wedding anniversary.
I have had some nice rooms over the years, it's not like Plats never get an upgrade. I just never seem to get them when I want them.

The issue is that current the system depends on some manager or front desk agent, who may or may not really care whether you are gold/plat/pp or have a special occasion. And it also lends itself to those who work the system. Any system of prioritizing a certain number of guaranteed upgrades would be better and fairer. What they should do I think is give out 1 upgrade cert to golds, 2 to plats and maybe 3 to pp annually, which at a minimum are good for a category upgrade for 1 night, and prioritize those above their regular upgrade list.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that would be an excellent solution. I HATE playing the game. The one hotel that consistently upgrades the husband to a massive suite and treats him like royalty for weeks and weeks is in a location that I will not be travelling to with him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.