Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by bhatnasx

Please, of course, don't send her things like Platinum or Gold upgrade requests as she's really awesome & I don't want her to be overwhelmed with standard benefit type questions. Please only use her email for real guest relations needs.
Too late. You know FTers - that's the type of requests they'll email her about

Seriously though - given FT is open to Google search/rest of world & you don't want her to get swamped w/ basic stuff, you might want to edit her contact info & say PM me for the contact info or put a space or so in the email address etc.

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I just completed a 1 night stay here on Sunday. What a fantastic property - a true category 9. As a Plat I was upgraded to a corner king room with an amazing Central Park view on the 35th floor -- I didn't want to leave! I originally booked a 1 queen room with a deeply discounted govt rate. I was not upgraded automatically -- I had to ask at check in. Early check in at 10am was allowed, and I got 1pm late check out with no issues.

The lounge was very nice. I know some people here preferred the old lounge, but this was my first time here so I have nothing to compare it to. Breakfast is the standard Marriott American breakfast. The Sunday evening offerings were chicken fajita, some wonderful cheese, olives, fruit, etc. My friend and I made a light dinner out of it.

Would def recommend this property to anyone vising NYC and wanting to stay in deluxe accommodations.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 8:18 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I don't have a super-special guest relations need, but have an upcoming 5-night stay in a couple of weeks, and was hoping to solidify a couple of pretty basic requests (mini fridge and decent room lighting, as I will be working a decent amount in the evenings). Anyone have the "normal" email contact for the Essex? I know I can call, but I don't have a great batting average with this type of request over the phone, and figure an email request would produce better results. Anyone can help me on this? Much appreciated.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:46 pm

We stayed here for 5 nights about 2 weeks ago. Nice location for sight seeing around NYC. We walked a lot.

I booked on points as a plat. premier. Just a standard room booked. Checking a day or so before with the mobile app I was pre-upgraded to a king central park view. I was asked at checkin if I wanted to pay for better rooms or a suite which I declined. Either way, can confirm, I did receive a one category upgrade when paying with points. Not sure if being a PP had anything to do with it.

Lounge was great. Saturday morning, while it was open was crazy packed (more or less standing room only). Not sure why as it was not that bad during the week.

Parking was $70 a night. I checked out on Saturay morning at noon (checkout time). When getting my car it took roughly half an hour due to the Trump rally. That isnt a big deal but I found a few days later that they tacked on another $70 for another day of parking because I apparently went over by that half hour despite checking out in time. Dealing with accounting at the hotel got it refunded without issue but its something to keep in mind.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 10:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I stayed here for 5 nights about a month ago. Best Marriott portfolio hotel I've stayed in in the US. Lounge was fantastic and by far the best offerings of any domestic Marriott FS hotel I've been to. For example, dinner had entrees that could actually serve as a true dinner-replacement (as opposed to the typical finger food that is normally available). Breakfast had real scrambled eggs that actually tasted great, both bacon and sausage available each day, smoked salmon and a bunch of other stuff in an "on-ice" section, and a huge selection of plentiful pastries. Selection throughout entire day was broad and excellent overall.

CL door is located literally on one side of the guest room elevator bank. Accessible with a special CL card key (in addition to your regular room key). There is always a guard posted at the guest room elevator bank. There occasionally was an attendant at the CL entrance, but generally not.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does the hotel still have the sauna and steam room on the spa level? Does the executive lounge have free cocktails in the evening?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does the executive lounge have free cocktails in the evening?
Are there any US hotels that have free cocktails in the evening? My understanding is it's the norm for them to be paid in the US & free int'ly, so I doubt JWEH has free booze.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Not here, $15 a shot for a gray goose last time I was there almost a year ago.

BTW, the CL breakfast is so good because it shares the buffet from the bar/restaurant off the lobby. I can't imagine what that costs non elite guests or how long it will last!
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:36 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Definitely NOT.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does the hotel still have the sauna and steam room on the spa level?
yes - its in the locker rooms on the 3rd floor - the spa is now the gym, but the steam rooms & saunas are still there.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362

BTW, the CL breakfast is so good because it shares the buffet from the bar/restaurant off the lobby. I can't imagine what that costs non elite guests or how long it will last!
I think it's $45 for the breakfast buffet. Plus tax.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:09 am

There is a Liquor/Wine store across the street if you go out the back entrance. Good selection and prices for the city.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Are there any US hotels that have free cocktails in the evening? My understanding is it's the norm for them to be paid in the US & free int'ly, so I doubt JWEH has free booze.

Cheers.
Originally Posted by johnaalex
Definitely NOT.
Actually, I have stayed at one - the JW in Grand Rapids. Two drink limit. Some other Marriott properties (Baltimore Harbor comes to mind and there have been others) will have "manager's receptions" on one night of the week in the concierge lounge with complimentary hooch. Free alcohol is not the norm in the US and the JWEH may follow the norm but there are (thankfully) other US properties that don't.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by joshua362

Yes, the breakfast buffet is exceptionally good. We ate there every morning but one during a recent week long stay. Even my husband, who detests buffets in all forms, was impressed with the quality and selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.