Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by dayone
I am not a fan of bloggers, especially not Ben (from personal experience), but this is an enlightening review of his stay at the Essex House.

Be forewarned that it, like most of his reviews, has way too many photos.
Thanks for the heads up on the review - and I actually like all the photos. Lets one really know what it's like/to expect. I say that, given I take a bunch of photos myself when doing reviews of properties, even though I'm not a blogger.

Cheers.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 3:40 pm

Hello!

Does anyone still have any contact for the GM and/or Front office Manager. I am surprising my partner with a proposal and would like to see if they could assist with a certain request.

Thanks!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:41 pm

Had a one-night stay here recently. Coming over from being Hilton Diamond, I'm thus easily impressed by any decent elite treatment , but this property did a nice job. Upgrade, with notification via the app (you mean I don't have to grovel at the front desk?), to a junior suite which was more than large enough, huge by NYC standards. Pre-selected late checkout time was cheerily verified without prompting or resistance by front desk agent. Lounge was one of the better U.S. breakfasts I've had, even by hotel restaurant standards. A very nice stay and would be happy to come back.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:07 am

Essex house has significantly upgraded the breakfast in the last few years -
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:32 am

Renovation finished. Marriott press release:

http://news.marriott.com/2017/10/art...ed-re-defined/

"JW Marriott Essex House New York, the iconic hotel on Central Park South in Manhattan, announced the completion of a $38 million transformation of its 426 guest rooms, 101 suites, and corridors, dramatically redesigned to interpret a new and modern aesthetic."
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Renovation finished."
Stayed there twice last year i didnt think it was THAT bad. There was some wear in the rooms but nothing you cant expect (or could have easily replaced). I thought worse case a little deep cleaning would have addressed any of the glaring issues. My girlfriend thought the colors made it look "old" but to me that was part of the charm of the place, especially trying to play up the historic nature of it.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The renovation looks good. I'm looking at the following properties for December:

Renaissance Midtown
The Lexington (unbelievably low paid rates)
Marriott Marquis
J.W. Marriott Essex House

Thoughts?
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by swintec
Stayed there twice last year i didnt think it was THAT bad. There was some wear in the rooms but nothing you cant expect (or could have easily replaced). I thought worse case a little deep cleaning would have addressed any of the glaring issues. My girlfriend thought the colors made it look "old" but to me that was part of the charm of the place, especially trying to play up the historic nature of it.
The suite I had in February was oddly and shabbily furnished and in dire need of renovation.

Looks I'll be here briefly in a couple of weeks. Look forward to checking out the renovated rooms.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 8:13 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The renovation looks good. I'm looking at the following properties for December:

Renaissance Midtown
Marriott Marquis

Thoughts?
I just moved to NYC six months ago but frequently traveled to the city in the years prior.

Am biased because I made friends with an associate at Essex House and always got upgraded to a full-front Central Park view on a high floor, so that was my go to. Every Marriott Marquis I've ever stayed at, including the NYC property, is cultureless and sterile. Good for some, not for me. Lexington is the kind of property where you could trip over your bed as you walk in the door. And the service was quite subpar on my one visit. Have never stayed at the Renaissance.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 11:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just spent one night here in a refurbished Manhattan Suite. It's definitely an improvement. I'd give them a B . . . carpet is a little garish and they didn't really make an effort to capture the period style, but the furnishings are reasonably stylish and comfortable. Here's a pic of the living room:

They've also redone all the light switches, which is a huge upgrade.

Front desk agent spent quite a while finding us a nice suite . . . wound up on the 24th floor with a terrace. A really great stay, especially after the sterility of New York Edition. Staff were uniformly awesome. Best domestic Marriott lounge breakfast, hands down.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:22 am

Thanks for the update w/ pic. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
Just spent one night here in a refurbished Manhattan Suite. It's definitely an improvement. I'd give them a B . . . carpet is a little garish and they didn't really make an effort to capture the period style, but the furnishings are reasonably stylish and comfortable. Here's a pic of the living room:

They've also redone all the light switches, which is a huge upgrade.

Front desk agent spent quite a while finding us a nice suite . . . wound up on the 24th floor with a terrace. A really great stay, especially after the sterility of New York Edition. Staff were uniformly awesome. Best domestic Marriott lounge breakfast, hands down.
It looks really modern for a J.W.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 4:45 pm

Programs: Marriott, PP, Plat for life, Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

Renaissance Midtown
Marriott Marquis

Thoughts?
I have stayed at all of them...many times over.
Renaissance Midtown.....fine hotel no issues.
The Lexington.......cool hotel, small rooms as they renovated the original floor plan. OK for a night or two but not a longer stay as you might feel claustrophobic. The Algonquin also has cool little rooms but a more historic feel. Both are usually in the same price range.
Essex House....Love it and its a a 'goto' property.
Marriott Marquis......We have banned this property for rude employees. Had it happen on multiple occasions to multiple coworkers. Stay at the Renaissance New York Times Square next door.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:20 pm
Suspended

I just received this email from guest relations for an upcoming stay:

One of your exclusive benefits at a JW Marriott includes access to our JW Executive Lounge for 2 (yourself and 1 additional guest). In addition to this, our NYC JW Marriott has decided to extend your benefits even further by allowing access to your children traveling with you under the age of 12-year-old, and we recently extended our lounge breakfast hours to 11AM so our late-risers (like myself) can sleep in! Our hours exceed the standard with Breakfast Mon – Fri from 6:30AM – 11AM and Sat – Sun from 7AM – 11AM; All Day Access is Mon – Thurs from 6:30AM – 10PM, and Evening Offerings are from 5PM – 10PM Sun – Thurs. There are hors d'ouerves available from 5-8PM, and then a dessert bar from 8-10PM. At check-in you will receive a Gold Key that will give you access into the lounge. Please keep in mind, if you the rewards member is not traveling and have made the reservation for someone else, your guest will not receive access as the lounge is exclusively for you. Also, non-packaged foods cannot be removed from the lounge, and the last hour of breakfast tends to get busy so we recommend joining us earlier than 9AM to avoid a wait.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:07 am
Suspended

I stayed at the J.W. Marriott Essex House with colleagues. One is lifetime platinum and platinum-premier, one is platinum-premier, one has no status, and I'm platinum. For what it's worth, in a casual conversation with the guest relations desk I was told there are on average 80 guests every night with gold or platinum status.

I arrived maybe 25 minutes before they arrived at 12 p.m. The front desk told me they had no rooms available and they would call me as soon as one became available. They never did. One hour later my colleagues sent me a message saying they were relaxing in their rooms. I went back to the hotel and was assigned a 15th floor room overlooking Central Park. Excellent view, but no upgrade from what I booked. My lifetime platinum and platinum-premier colleague received an upgrade to a Manhattan suite on the 39th floor, which was spacious but had no view of Central Park. If I was him, I would have declined the upgrade or requested a suite overlooking Central Park. My other colleague with platinum-premier status was on the 6th floor. My colleague with no status received a Central Park view room on the 39th floor.

There was no doorman. I had to ask the front desk for the bellman. I wasn't wasn't thanked for my platinum status, but I was given a choice between the 500 points and $10 food-and-beverage voucher. Wireless internet, even the premium version, was slow for watching YouTube and listening to music via Spotify.

Rooms are renovated and are OK, but the furniture is kind of ugly. In the Manhattan suite, the sofa couch is black and the fabric is soft, almost like denim or something like that. It shows every piece of hair, dust and stain. Worst choice ever. Overall, the size of my room was respectable for New York, but the bathroom didn't have any storage or countertop space for toiletries. A towel rack was missing. All of the windows open about five inches, which is nice. Especially if you want a good picture of Central Park. None of my special requests (extra towels, extra pillows or extra toiletries) were fulfilled. I had one pair of slippers but no bathrobe.

This is the only Marriott brand hotel I have ever stayed at without coffeemakers. If you want coffee at 5 or 6 a.m. (the executive lounge doesn't open until 6:30 a.m., which, in my opinion, is late for a city hotel) you have to order room service. You can rent a coffeemaker. The front desk told me it was $10 per day. There also wasn't any complimentary bottled water in the room, though there was a fully stocked mini-bar.

Missing from the room was any guide to the hotel or a list of its services. I called guest services and was told they have shoeshine services. Turndown service is not provided UNLESS you request it. Newspapers are delivered to your room upon request.

The executive lounge is very small. Sadly, the property allows children at night, which means many families avoid paying for dinner at restaurants by having the kids eat for free in the executive lounge. There is a good selection of alcohol, including wine, at a self-serve honor bar. Wine, regardless of type, was $14 per glass. There is no champagne. The sparkling wine is Long Island sparkling wine. I tried it, but it wasn't drinkable. There is no espresso machine in the executive lounge. Food at night and in the morning was respectable for a domestic property, though the cheese was cubed cheddar cheese. Some brie would have been nice. Perhaps most bizarrely, the silverware is no where near the food and plates. There also aren't any coffee mugs. You have to drink coffee in thin paper cups without any cup wraps. I had use double cups to avoid burning my hands.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Dec 18, 2017 at 8:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.