Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:20 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Hyatt Globalist, and Marriott Titanium Member
JW Marriott Essex House - Upgrades and General Reviews

Hello,

I have 2 questions:

1. Is this Hotel still a good property to stay out, is it worth the high price? I'm just asking because I've read some mixed reviews on other sites, I just want to make sure this is worth the money, or if I should spend it somewhere else like the EDITION.

2. Regarding Upgrades, I see people have been upgraded to Junior or the Manhattan Suite (not facing the Park). Have you gotten an Upgrade to a high floor room facing the Park? I doubt they'd give you a high floor Park facing Suite, but it would be great if they can upgrade you to a standard room with a high floor park view.

I'm sure these questions were probably answered earlier in this thread, but I couldn't find any recent feedback from 2017 to now.

Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2021, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sfflyer415
Is this Hotel still a good property to stay out, is it worth the high price?!
I would hesitate to pay a cash rate here or the Edition, assuming that both are priced at $500+ for the base room. I don't think either property is competitive at those rates when you can get a much better hotel in the same price range via FHR. IMO Essex House can be a good award redemption, particularly applying SNAs.

Several years ago I was upgraded on a paid suite reservation (Manhattan Suite) to a park facing suite. The view wasn't that special . . . note that this is an older building and many of the windows are quite small. I've had some very decent Manhattan Suites with non-park views.
Old Oct 9, 2021, 4:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by stimpy
That's terrible about the steam and sauna. The nearby excellent Sports Club New York (and other NYC gyms) opened their steam, sauna and jacuzzi back up about 5 months ago. Winter is coming and those things are very important! Hopefully this hotel will open up those facilities soon.
Yeah agree! The exact reply was something like “the steam and sauna are back back open just yet”, so hopefully that means that’ll be open soon!
Old Nov 2, 2021, 8:43 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Did a staycation here in a Central Park view suite. There was indeed a Central Park view but it was partially obstructed by another part of Essex House. The Central Park Grand Suite seems to be something special.

Overall, it was fine. The lounge breakfast is a very bad buffet but breakfast-focused travelers might like it due to it being seemingly unlimited.

Super negative experience asking for a hot water kettle. Sure, most US properties don’t have them in rooms. I asked for one to be sent up. First, the water kettle came up like 40 minutes after they said it would. Then, the guy spam rung the doorbell repeatedly over and over again because… he was impatient…? Then, they charged me $10 for the kettle as room service. Fine, but I told him very plainly that I was not told of the charge before and would not have ordered it if I knew. He said they did tell me (no they didn’t, I asked via chat and have proof) and then told me I could not decline the kettle. Then he started saying something about the honor of guests. It was pretty incoherent.

Very strange exchange. Everyone else from the FDA to the doorman was lovely. Each time I walked out, the doorman proactively offered to hail me a cab. 4 pm check out was granted without issue. They got me a last minute table at Marea which was appreciated.
svo242 likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 8:36 am

I am thinking about to go to the JW Essex with a 5 night award stay in december + using my 5 night SNA's.

Are there any actual experience with this combination? Will the SNA work at all?
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kanexxz
I am thinking about to go to the JW Essex with a 5 night award stay in december + using my 5 night SNA's.

Are there any actual experience with this combination? Will the SNA work at all?
I've cleared into the Manhattan Suite on an award several times. Though last time I checked, the Manhattan Suite was no longer in the SNA pool, just the Family Suite.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:34 am

I have a 5 night reward stay booked at Essex House in December, and managed to apply 5 x SNAs to the reward booking. I wasn’t able to do it online (there were no ‘request upgrade’ options on the booking) so I phoned Customer Services. It took about 20 minutes, but they sorted it!

Last edited by adamgilbride; Nov 24, 2021 at 7:40 am
Old Nov 24, 2021, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Originally Posted by adamgilbride
I have a 5 night reward stay booked at Essex House in December, and managed to apply 5 x SNAs to the reward booking. I wasn’t able to do it online (there were no ‘request upgrade’ options on the booking) so I phoned Customer Services. It took about 20 minutes, but they sorted it!
SNAs may work but remember that this property will see fairly high demand over the next few weeks.

David
tripmaster likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 9:16 am

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I started my own little hotel review blog as a sort of diary. Just had 2 stays this last year at Essex House.

Thanksgiving is a huge time, they charge thousands for restaurant seats that are a front row seat to the parade. Both stays were upgraded for me (1 SNAx5, 1x5 status) and I thought their recognition of my elite status was really good. We weren't super demanding guests, the building shows its age sometimes, but really hard to complain w Junior Suite and location.

I imagine Regis and R-C are nicer but so much more points. I'd be willing to try Chatwal but this location next to all those trains... only the UES remains hard to get to from Columbus Circle and the N/R stops nearby.

I wrote more here:
https://asianinsanity.com/jw-marriot...use-review-nyc
adamgilbride likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 3:32 am

Originally Posted by tripmaster
I started my own little hotel review blog as a sort of diary. Just had 2 stays this last year at Essex House.

Thanksgiving is a huge time, they charge thousands for restaurant seats that are a front row seat to the parade. Both stays were upgraded for me (1 SNAx5, 1x5 status) and I thought their recognition of my elite status was really good. We weren't super demanding guests, the building shows its age sometimes, but really hard to complain w Junior Suite and location.

I imagine Regis and R-C are nicer but so much more points. I'd be willing to try Chatwal but this location next to all those trains... only the UES remains hard to get to from Columbus Circle and the N/R stops nearby.

I wrote more here:
https://asianinsanity.com/jw-marriot...use-review-nyc
Brilliant write-up, tripmaster - thank you! Great to read about the hotel in so much detail before I go there for the first time in December.
tripmaster likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:21 am

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Marea is great and, for the food + experience, is definitely an amazing value imo.

I really dislike the lounge breakfast here. The proteins (eggs, sausages, bacon, etc) just look and taste disgusting to me. Not my thing.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:44 pm

I checked in at the JW Essex today (I am Titanium) and my first-time experience is very strange.

First of all I booked a few weeks ago, tried to use my 5 x SNA's, they were rejected 1 day before checking in.

I started to chat with the Hotel through their App, asking for a room with a seperate working space / suite. However, they told me nothing is available as the day of check in. I asked for the next day to change the room's, because online are at least 4-5 different higher rooms available, starting from junior suite, familiy room/suite, manhatten suite, ...

This is the response:

"There is a glitch in the system I apologize."

Why is it possible to book then?

I tried to talk about this at the check-in, but no chance - "fully booked" (even when it was possible to book a family-suite for the date of check-in). Then at the check-in they told me that they've upgraded me from queen-bed-room to king-bed-room (which I booked). Uh? I showed my reservation, king-bed, and I was being told that their reservation system/computer shows queen-bed and it is supposed to be an upgrade. lol?

So my conclusion so far..

- SNA rejected
- they tell me all suites are occupied, while they are bookable online for my date's
- they tell me they upgrade me to the room which I originally booked

anything I can do about this or just eat it?

Last edited by kanexxz; Nov 29, 2021 at 6:09 am Reason: removed picture due to copyright
Old Nov 27, 2021, 7:57 am

So my conclusion so far..

- SNA rejected
- they tell me all suites are occupied, while they are bookable online for my date's
- they tell me they upgrade me to the room which I originally booked

anything I can do about this or just eat it?
I don’t see any suites available for booking from November 27-30. Are those your dates?

I’m negative on this property for many reasons but suite stinginess is not one of them. IME, they are exceedingly generous with suites. You’re just visiting during a very busy period for NYC at a time where many many many people can afford to book suites with cash outright.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by WasKnown
I don’t see any suites available for booking from November 27-30. Are those your dates?

I’m negative on this property for many reasons but suite stinginess is not one of them. IME, they are exceedingly generous with suites. You’re just visiting during a very busy period for NYC at a time where many many many people can afford to book suites with cash outright.
Not exactly these date's, but around this.

It's not about I requrie a suite, I would book one if I need one. It' about they lie to me, telling me I booked a queen bed and I've been upgraded to a king bed (which I booked).

However, after a few nights here, I must admit that this is one of the worst 5* propertys I ever stay in (maybe a little bit better than the Hilton Hurghada). We moved our room last night (upon request), noone ever asked to help us with the luggage. The executive lounge is so crowded and you are not even able to move away from your table without disturbing your neightboor, the gym is a joke, no drinking glasses in the room, no bathrobe, no minibar and so many other small details you won't expect from a 5* luxury property.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 6:16 am

Not exactly these date's, but around this.

It's not about I requrie a suite, I would book one if I need one. It' about they lie to me, telling me I booked a queen bed and I've been upgraded to a king bed (which I booked).

However, after a few nights here, I must admit that this is one of the worst 5* propertys I ever stay in (maybe a little bit better than the Hilton Hurghada). We moved our room last night (upon request), noone ever asked to help us with the luggage. The executive lounge is so crowded and you are not even able to move away from your table without disturbing your neightboor, the gym is a joke, no drinking glasses in the room, no bathrobe, no minibar and so many other small details you won't expect from a 5* luxury property.
I wouldn’t consider this a 5 star hotel. Some of the things you’re describing are part of the unfortunate reality of US hotels. Notably, many don’t have hot water kettles. However, while The Plaza and Mandarin Oriental quickly sent one up upon request, Essex House sent one up after hours and charged me $10 for it. If they’re really going to nickle and dime for such small money, they can keep it. But I doubt they’re going to get repeat business this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.