Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2021, 3:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by kanexxz
Not exactly these date's, but around this.

It's not about I requrie a suite, I would book one if I need one. It' about they lie to me, telling me I booked a queen bed and I've been upgraded to a king bed (which I booked).

However, after a few nights here, I must admit that this is one of the worst 5* propertys I ever stay in (maybe a little bit better than the Hilton Hurghada). We moved our room last night (upon request), noone ever asked to help us with the luggage. The executive lounge is so crowded and you are not even able to move away from your table without disturbing your neightboor, the gym is a joke, no drinking glasses in the room, no bathrobe, no minibar and so many other small details you won't expect from a 5* luxury property.
We def had bathrobes; IIRC minibar and in room bottles of water have been removed for COVID.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Hi everyone.

I’m staying here next week, so I emailed them to check what facilities are open… steam room, sauna and fitness center are fully open, as is the lounge. The lounge, however, is only for for breakfast and then for coffee until 2pm - there are no evening offerings at the moment.

I’ve heard mention of a $35 dining credit on some of the YouTube reviews. Is that a ‘thing’? Perhaps it is one of the welcome gift options on arrival? Anyone have any experience of that? Is it per stay or per night?

Thank you!

Last edited by adamgilbride; Dec 6, 2021 at 2:08 am
Old Dec 6, 2021, 5:01 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by adamgilbride
Hi everyone.

I’m staying here next week, so I emailed them to check what facilities are open… steam room, sauna and fitness center are fully open, as is the lounge. The lounge, however, is only for for breakfast and then for coffee until 2pm - there are no evening offerings at the moment.

I’ve heard mention of a $35 dining credit on some of the YouTube reviews. Is that a ‘thing’? Perhaps it is one of the welcome gift options on arrival? Anyone have any experience of that? Is it per stay or per night?

Thank you!
The lounge closes at 2 PM but the staff can still let you in if you need a place to chill. No idea what the $35 credit is from. Maybe a preferred agent booking? Would not pay cash for this hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:30 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Hi everyone.

Thank you!
To answer my own question…

I asked the hotel about this directly, and they said that the $35 dining credit is part of the destination fee. You are charged $35 a night ‘destination fee’ and in return you get a $35 dining credit, $30 spa credit, $30 laundry credit and tickets to Central Park zoo.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2022, 2:57 pm

Hi everyone.

Thank you!
Does anyone have updated information on the lounge? Is it still closed once breakfast wraps up?
Old Mar 7, 2022, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by sbedelman
Does anyone have updated information on the lounge? Is it still closed once breakfast wraps up?
Just wondering if anyone has stayed lately and what the situation is with the lounge?
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 10:38 am

What’s the likelihood of SNA acceptance here for a 5 night stay next month?
Old Apr 29, 2022, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by sbedelman
Just wondering if anyone has stayed lately and what the situation is with the lounge?
Any update here?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tripmaster
I started my own little hotel review blog as a sort of diary. Just had 2 stays this last year at Essex House.

Thanksgiving is a huge time, they charge thousands for restaurant seats that are a front row seat to the parade. Both stays were upgraded for me (1 SNAx5, 1x5 status) and I thought their recognition of my elite status was really good. We weren't super demanding guests, the building shows its age sometimes, but really hard to complain w Junior Suite and location.

I imagine Regis and R-C are nicer but so much more points. I'd be willing to try Chatwal but this location next to all those trains... only the UES remains hard to get to from Columbus Circle and the N/R stops nearby.

I wrote more here:
Ritz isnt really that much nicer than the EH. Especially if you get a decent room at the EH. Helpfully the EH has restored mini bar service. The Ritz is one of those annoying hotels that only stocks 200ml bottles in the minibar. Downstairs bar is better at the Ritz.
Old May 2, 2022, 11:04 am

Stayed here back in early April. The lounge had full breakfast going including several hot items in the pre-pandemic buffet style. I never went in after breakfast but believe the front desk agent told me coffee and water only (and maybe a snack?) after breakfast. My understanding of what she said is there is no afternoon/early evening service. But like i said, never made it down to confirm one way or the other.

Otherwise the hotel was pretty good. The room seems to have been refurbished relatively recently (certainly since the last time i stayed here in 1999 or 2000). Only really annoying thing was the meeting rooms are long and narrow. Great if you have a board meeting. anything else and it's an awkward layout.

I was skeptical going in and doubt i'd stay there again for location reasons. But if you are looking for something in that area, esepcially if you are prioritizing a lounge, then this is a good solution.
Old May 6, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; United Platinum; Hertz President's Circle; Hyatt Discoverist
Just stayed there. Lounge was breakfast-only, with coffee and sodas for a couple of hours after breakfast, but nothing after very early afternoon. Friendly, helpful staff. Upgraded to low-floor, bad-view junior suite. It's a good-sized room in good shape.A bit pricey on this stay, but way less than RC down the street.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
SNAs cleared (5 night stay) 5 days in advance into Junior King Suite. No idea what the room looks like yet, but I'll report back with what I get.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Polytonic
SNAs cleared (5 night stay) 5 days in advance into Junior King Suite. No idea what the room looks like yet, but I'll report back with what I get.
Did you have the option of Manhattan or Family Suite? I was not impressed with the Jr. Suite I had here.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Did you have the option of Manhattan or Family Suite? I was not impressed with the Jr. Suite I had here.
From what I recall, the two available SNA options were Jr. King Suite and Essex Suite. This was pretty much a Hail Mary use of my SNAs as the only other stays I've got on the books for the rest of the year are NY Edition and a bunch of Moxy's around town.

In hindsight, I probably should have just gone for 5 EQN last year for the sake of advancing the lifetime nights counter a little faster.

I've read of double room category upgrades before on Stars/Luminous rates, but I'm not going to hold out much hope for that at the moment.
Kacee likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Polytonic
From what I recall, the two available SNA options were Jr. King Suite and Essex Suite. This was pretty much a Hail Mary use of my SNAs as the only other stays I've got on the books for the rest of the year are NY Edition and a bunch of Moxy's around town.
I think Essex is the former Family Suite. It's a true suite on a lower floor, no Park view.

Apart from one bad stay in the darkest days of the pandemic (June 2020) this property has always done me pretty well on room assignments, including an upgrade to a Central Park View Suite when I was booked in a Jr. Suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.