Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:46 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Scanned the threads today and noticed that everyone recommends the St. Regis over the JW Marriott Essex House / Ritz New York. However, the St. Regis isn't taking points redemptions for my nights in May =/ So I'm left with JW Marriott vs. Ritz New York. This is a trip for my parents and I just want them to be comfortable (they're scared of big cities; ironic that they're going to New York, but they want to see a couple broadway shows) so I'll be using points for them so they have a little bigger room in these properties than what's normal in New York hotel rooms.

Things they appreciate:
1. The lounge (weekday trip so I expect lounges to be open vs. closed on weekends)
2. Views (Mom's a big view person)
3. Space

Based on this thread, leaning toward the JW Marriott Essex House. Should I be looking at the Ritz instead?
You might want to call into Marriott. I assume you have elite status. Sometimes there are errors in which rooms aren't loaded on Marriott. Case in point, the Renaissance Republique in Paris looked sold out with nothing but the penthouse suite available two months before I stayed there. I knew that was unlikely given it was over the holidays. By two weeks out, all of the rooms were showing up on Marriott.com.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You might want to call into Marriott. I assume you have elite status. Sometimes there are errors in which rooms aren't loaded on Marriott. Case in point, the Renaissance Republique in Paris looked sold out with nothing but the penthouse suite available two months before I stayed there. I knew that was unlikely given it was over the holidays. By two weeks out, all of the rooms were showing up on Marriott.com.
Thanks for the advice! I do have Plat Premier and I did call in. I found it weird that the hotel wasn't offering point redemptions, but the agent assured me it wasn't a glitch and that there were random dates where i could stay on points.

I wish there was a way to 'watch' for open availability in case I want to switch from whatever people suggest -> St. Regis
Old Jan 7, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Scanned the threads today and noticed that everyone recommends the St. Regis over the JW Marriott Essex House / Ritz New York. However, the St. Regis isn't taking points redemptions for my nights in May =/ So I'm left with JW Marriott vs. Ritz New York. This is a trip for my parents and I just want them to be comfortable (they're scared of big cities; ironic that they're going to New York, but they want to see a couple broadway shows) so I'll be using points for them so they have a little bigger room in these properties than what's normal in New York hotel rooms.

Things they appreciate:
1. The lounge (weekday trip so I expect lounges to be open vs. closed on weekends)
2. Views (Mom's a big view person)
3. Space

Based on this thread, leaning toward the JW Marriott Essex House. Should I be looking at the Ritz instead?
Only JW meet all your criteria. Lounge access if you are a platinum member. You don’t get lounge at the Ritz on a points stay. More likely upgrade to Central Park view at JW versus the Ritz. As for space I would say they are quite similar.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lewin85
Only JW meet all your criteria. Lounge access if you are a platinum member.
But Plat status will not transfer to OP's parents on a points award. This is not Hyatt.

If OP wants to ensure his parents have club access at either property, he'll have to pay for it.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
But Plat status will not transfer to OP's parents on a points award. This is not Hyatt.

If OP wants to ensure his parents have club access at either property, he'll have to pay for it.
yes, especially at this property. My wife was checking in before me and they would not give her a lounge key because I was not there.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
You might want to consider a non-Marriott property, unless you're committed to using points. At least consider one not on your list. What about The Chatwal, Luxury Collection? Or the Trump International?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat. Life
Checked in tonight and was bummed to not get an upgrade. Am a lifetime plat premier. So YMMV. I will call ahead in the future.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pacman099
Checked in tonight and was bummed to not get an upgrade. Am a lifetime plat premier. So YMMV. I will call ahead in the future.
What do you believe calling ahead in the future will achieve?

Regards
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by scubadu
What do you believe calling ahead in the future will achieve?

Regards
This. The Essex house, in my experience, has always been spot on with upgrades (and executing elite benefits) when the space is available.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by swintec
This. The Essex house, in my experience, has always been spot on with upgrades (and executing elite benefits) when the space is available.
I understand that, but calling in ahead of time has little bearing on the actual situation at check-in. The ground may have shifted since you called in.

Regards
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club
Can anybody let me know how much the Essex House charges for breakfast please.?
It does not give a price on their website.
Thanks.

Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by charlieduke
Thanks.

As my English grandmother said, if you have to ask you probably can't afford it.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, IHG RA, Globalist, ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by charlieduke
Thanks.

Found this via Google just now.

"Full American breakfast, fee from 47.00 USD"

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hotel-information/restaurant/nycex-jw-marriott-essex-house-new-york/
charlieduke likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club
Thank you. Your grandmother is not right in my case. I can afford it but I refuse to pay $196 ( + tax probably)for four of us to have breakfast in the hotel.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:01 am

Thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.