Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I had asked about what the $25 could be used for, but ultimately decided to go with a different hotel (Midtown Ren) because the rate was right and the location was perfect for our needs. That being said, I've stayed at the Essex probably about 10 times over the past few years, and have never had a "good view" room; it's always been a view of the space between the hotel and the next building. However, the location (at Central Park South directly across from Central Park) is nice if you'd spend time nearby, and the exec lounge is the best in the US (at least among those I've been to) in terms of the spread available.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Call the property & ask, although it sounds like there's some confusion at the property level as well!
Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Essex House cannot provide a straight answer on what the $25 daily destination fee is good for?

If nobody posts the answer in 2018, I promise to fill that gap based on firsthand experience at year's end.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
It’s Marriott’s version of a carry-on luggage fee:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a8082546.html
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by transportprof
Does it strike anyone else as odd that the Essex House cannot provide a straight answer on what the $25 daily destination fee is good for?

If nobody posts the answer in 2018, I promise to fill that gap based on firsthand experience at year's end.
Time to contact the state attorney general's consumer protection division.

https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/Fi...umer-Complaint
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Time to contact the state attorney general's consumer protection division.

https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/Fi...umer-Complaint
I know this is probably crazy talk... but you know... another option would be if the terms and conditions of the property don't meet your needs you could do something really crazy like don't stay there...

Regards
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by scubadu
I know this is probably crazy talk... but you know... another option would be if the terms and conditions of the property don't meet your needs you could do something really crazy like don't stay there...

Regards
This is precisely the attitude that allows properties to charge fees and not provide amenities or services. This property is charging a $25 fee and can't say what it covers nor is it fully disclosed. Presumably, it includes amenities and services (like internet access) that are supposed to be complimentary.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
This is precisely the attitude that allows properties to charge fees and not provide amenities or services. This property is charging a $25 fee and can't say what it covers nor is it fully disclosed. Presumably, it includes amenities and services (like internet access) that are supposed to be complimentary.
That "attitude" if exhibited by enough aggregate customers who actually materially care about this fee, as opposed to a handful of FTer's who endlessly pick apart ever little nuance of everything, when executed in a capitalistic, market driven economy particularly in a city such as NYC which has countless choices (you are hardly trapped into staying there) will cause the property to lose business. If that becomes material, you can bet they will change course.

You're welcome to question my "attitude" if you desire, but in my years on FT I've made the observation that those who tend to "vote with their wallet" often seem happier with their travel outcomes than those whose first inclination is "contact the attorney general" because they are blinded by loyalty programs and act as if they are forced to stay in a property that doesn't suit there needs.

But hey, knock yourself out, please keep us posted on the the specific outcome and resolution. I'm sure the $25 destination fee at the JW Marriott Essex House facing Central Park in Manhattan will be very high on the New York Attorney General's "to do" list.

Regards
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm sure the $25 destination fee at the JW Marriott Essex House facing Central Park in Manhattan will be very high on the New York Attorney General's "to do" list.
Actually, I'm surprised no AGs have taken a serious run at this practice yet. It is a deceptive practice, and challenging the hotels could generate good "pro-consumer" publicity for an attention-seeking AG (which most of them are).
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:23 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Kacee
It is a deceptive practice, and challenging the hotels could generate good "pro-consumer" publicity for an attention-seeking AG (which most of them are).
The current New York Attorney General is a career prosecutor and about as far from "attention-seeking" as she could be.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dayone
The current New York Attorney General is a career prosecutor and about as far from "attention-seeking" as she could be.
Well there are 49 more of them out there
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, I'm surprised no AGs have taken a serious run at this practice yet. It is a deceptive practice, and challenging the hotels could generate good "pro-consumer" publicity for an attention-seeking AG (which most of them are).
Your surprised and yet... they haven't taken it seriously. Why do you suppose that is? Is it possible that FTers might perhaps have a moderately inflated sense of the importance of this particular issue in the grand scheme of things? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the mass of mainstream America isn't going to get too worked up and excited about the problem of travelers that can afford to stay at the JW Marriott Essex House, facing Central Park in Manhattan, getting dinged with a $25 "destination fee." I'm really not sure how much pro-consumer "publicity" an AG is going to squeeze out of that one.

It people on FT were not so blinded by loyalty programs they would simply look at the total cost of a room and make their decision from there. There are plenty of hotels in NYC (and the world) that do not add a fee like this. If this matters deeply to someone then give your business to those other properties. That is how a free market is supposed to work! It's utterly perplexing how that is such a difficult concept for so many people on FT to grasp, even people who in the course of their professional lives practice the concept day in and day out, but in regards to travel someone have a completely different mindset.

Regards
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
It people on FT were not so blinded by loyalty programs they would simply look at the total cost of a room and make their decision from there. There are plenty of hotels in NYC (and the world) that do not add a fee like this. If this matters deeply to someone then give your business to those other properties. That is how a free market is supposed to work! It's utterly perplexing how that is such a difficult concept for so many people on FT to grasp, even people who in the course of their professional lives practice the concept day in and day out, but in regards to travel someone have a completely different mindset.

Regards
I think of it slightly differently ... while I get the loyalty program blinding issue ... I think this is a bigger problem to the family who travels to NYC who don't regularly travel so they don't realize the hotel has tapped on an extra $25 a day from the published rate. Of course, this is the JW on Central Park but the same stupid fee applies to a number of lower level properties in NYC, and even in places like Spokane. (Spokane is OK but just don't get the destination amenity fee)

Its legally defensible since its fully disclosed at the end but probably missed by most non-FTers.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:18 am

Your surprised and yet... they haven't taken it seriously. Why do you suppose that is? Is it possible that FTers might perhaps have a moderately inflated sense of the importance of this particular issue in the grand scheme of things?
No, I really don't think that's it. As consumer issues go, this is a substantial one. In the air travel arena, DOT adopted a rule which expressly forbids, as a deceptive practice, airlines from doing exactly what the hotels do with resort fees.

Not sure why you're being so obnoxious about this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Call the property & ask, although it sounds like there's some confusion at the property level as well!
I will but I'm not going until mid-November so I'll wait until then as the answer may change a few times before our arrival. :-)
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:36 pm

Recent stay and resort fee.

We just completed a 5 day award stay. I am platinum and when I received my pre-stay email, I requested a park view and a high floor if possible. We arrived on a red eye and checked in at 8:30 am and were given a “park view” on the third floor. It was the best available at the time, and we were given the option to check our bags and wait for a better room. We decided to take it and really appreciated just getting into a room that early. We were able to get breakfast at the lounge and then have a nap, so combined with late check out was really like another full day at the hotel.

Regarding the “destination fee”, they are now VERY clear on what it covers and give you a card that clearly itemizes the benefits and that they are “daily”. I was surprised how practical and usable the benefits were. We used the $25 daily food and bev credit for room service for morning coffee ( nice to not have to get dressed to get lounge coffee first thing). There was also a $30 daily laundry credit that we used most days as the weather was incredibly humid/sticky. I think this is the first time I feel like I have actually used the “benefits” include in a resort/destination fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.