Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BMO World Elite Mastercard, Amex Platinum (Canada)
I booked a 2 night stay using points mid-March for a family of four in a room with 2 double beds. My husband is gold elite and I called the hotel yesterday and requested an upgrade if available. The guest relations person was very pleasant and provided information about the larger rooms and pros/cons (i.e. an upgrade means we would have one bed and one sofabed). She added the request to my file and we will see what happens!

I will post back with our upgrade results (if any) and lounge access for the four of us. So far the dates I've booked don't seem busy.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Essex House: Marriott Platinum upgrade policy

I am a new MR Platinum member (got my Plat status from my SPG Plat status). In the SPG program, platinums usually get the best room available for upgrade including suites. However during my current stay at the JW Marriott Essex House in NYC, I was offered an upgrade to a "Central Park View, 1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Sofa bed" for $250/ night. This was the day of check-in, when I checked in online (I checked in online around noon and then called to inquire what room they assigned to me based on my check-in. They mentioned a street view junior suite and I asked them if they had a central park view and they mentioned they only had a suite available and it would be $250/night extra to upgrade).

I accepted since it was a milestone we were celebrating but I am just curious if based on my Platinum status, should I have been given that as a part of the upgrade anyways since it was at check-in and the room was available? I am not familiar with the MR Plat benefits so just want to make sure I am not being ripped off. I am checking out today so just want to see if I should make sure this upgrade was done correctly.

Last edited by PrivatePilot; Mar 2, 2017 at 11:29 am
Old Mar 3, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
As you can see from this thread, this hotel usually doesn't do complimentary upgrades but instead tries to sell them. If they do upgrade it's maybe to a slightly better view. It's pretty frustrating considering their portfolio of room types. I guess I could follow my own advice in another thread and email the GM, but I just haven't taken the time.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
when I checked in online (I checked in online around noon and then called to inquire what room they assigned to me based on my check-in. They mentioned a street view junior suite and I asked them if
What did you initially reserve? Marriott terms state that it is a one category upgrade (anything above that is just gravy) so possibly you simply reserved a standard room?

I was given a great upgrade back in December but it really depends on availability and i never expect to get beyond a one category upgrade and suites are not included. If I want a specific room and do not want to roll the dice, I would just reserve what you want to begin with.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by swintec
What did you initially reserve? Marriott terms state that it is a one category upgrade...excludes suites.
Not true. Policy changed a while ago.

"Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club."

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/term....mi#additional

Cheers.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
They mentioned a street view junior suite and I asked them if they had a central park view and they mentioned they only had a suite available and it would be $250/night extra to upgrade).
I think a Junior Suite is a decent upgrade at this property.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Not true. Policy changed a while ago.

"Complimentary Room Upgrade: Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member's personal guestroom. Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. All upgrades are granted on a space-available basis, as determined at the time of check-in. Upgrades are subject to availability and identified by each hotel. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club."

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/term....mi#additional

Cheers.

Ahh thanks. Now I remember commenting on that in a different thread.

Junior suite is still a good upgrade at this property.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 3:37 am
Suspended

Do you think would Marriott renovated their room and suite and make most of the bathroom area form tub/shower combine to a waste huge shower only?

Because this chain has a tendency to do so in recently DC,LA live, Austin,Indy.

If Essex house becomes a shower only bathroom amenities, then this hotel might become the joke among all other icon historic new york landmark hotel.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Mar 7, 2017 at 9:23 am
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:56 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
Why Marriott try so hard to cater to business people? While other true luxury brand caters to leisure customers with real taste and money.
So, business people have no taste or money?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:43 am

..<<SNIP>>....

Why Marriott try so hard to cater to business people? While other true luxury brand caters to leisure customers with real taste and money.
Business people need somewhere to stay when traveling for pleasure.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Why do you keep clogging useful threads with these nonsense complaints?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 8:49 am

Just an update on my stay last week as a family of four, including two teens and husband with Gold Elite.

My husband's status was recognized at check-in. We were booked in a room with two doubles and they instead gave us a larger room with two queens. A bit of an upgrade, though no view.

All four of us used the concierge lounge, which offered an excellent assortment for breakfast and a very good evening dinner. This really added value for us.

Staff were extremely friendly and accommodating.

I would gladly return.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Canadand
Just an update on my stay last week as a family of four, including two teens and husband with Gold Elite.

My husband's status was recognized at check-in. We were booked in a room with two doubles and they instead gave us a larger room with two queens. A bit of an upgrade, though no view.

All four of us used the concierge lounge, which offered an excellent assortment for breakfast and a very good evening dinner. This really added value for us.

Staff were extremely friendly and accommodating.

I would gladly return.
I'm curious to know if they allowed your kids in the lounge for free or did you pay extra? I'm staying at the property in June and there's 4 of us in the room. It would be nice if we can all go in with my status.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 6:29 pm

The concierge lounge staff was extremely gracious and friendly towards our family. We were never charged or questioned when bringing our two kids and we saw other families of four in the lounge as well. I'm not sure if they would allow four adults in without charge, but a family was not a problem.

We were there during the blizzard last week and the lounge was closed one morning because they were understaffed. As a compromise, they gave all four of us passes to the main restaurant, with the lounge buffet.

Again, the staff was wonderful. I read a lot of reviews before our trip and I expected rude or indifferent staff. The only bad attitude I noticed was from a guest on the morning of the blizzard, complaining that her orange juice was late. Meanwhile the staff was clearly run ragged due to the storm.

I would return in a minute!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I am not a fan of bloggers, especially not Ben (from personal experience), but this is an enlightening review of his stay at the Essex House.

Be forewarned that it, like most of his reviews, has way too many photos.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.