Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by radioinstl
Have a 45th Bday stay coming up at Exxex House and was looking for contact email for GM or other Sr staff there please.
I have the email address for the Front Office Manager.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
So far so good with the JW Marriott Essex House, and our stay is still 2 1/2 months away!

As I mentioned, the idea of a paid upgrade was something I was open to to further enhance our stay over NYE.

After being in contact with the hotel (or vice-versa), they made what I feel is an extremely generous offer to me. It is still a points plus cash stay. However, I am paying more per night for the cash portion in exchange for a very nice suite upgrade (from a junior suite, to a nicer suite).

Very proactively done by the hotel, much appreciated by me. They also extended some amenities (not an upgrade) to my second room, which is nice.

Additionally, was put in touch with the concierge who has assisted me with some planning.

So, as I said, so far so good and I am impressed with the hotel and staff at this point.
We ended up having a wonderful visit to NYC, and five night stay at The Essex House.

Thanks to the front office management for being proactive, and working with me on our room options and costs.

We ended up paying 180,000 points + cash (large amount, but very fair) for what I believe was a Manhattan Suite. The only reason I am confused on this is that our suite had 1.5 bathrooms (thank goodness), while on the web site it does not describe Manhattan Suites as having 1.5 baths.

This may be a factor of our lower floor location (the suites only start at 12 or 14, so I think we were among the lowest floors of Manhattan Suites). The hotel tapers as you get higher, so our lower floor suite likely had one of the larger floor plans.

This came, of course, at the expense of any actual view. We were looking out over an alley, but at least the space between buildings was open enough that we did get natural light in to our room - both the living room and the separate bedroom.

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-info/n...p/home-page.mi

Our second room was also 180,000 points total plus $50.00 per night for a guest room with two doubles. I never actually went in to the second room, so cannot comment.

The suite was huge, especially by New York standards. large (10 x 14 feet?) entry way / foyer, then in to a very large living room. Queen sofa bed, two padded chairs, coffee table, and dining table with 4 chairs. Large buffet with the mini bar and a flat screen TV above. We ended up adding a roll-away bed as well, and it fit easily in to the space.

The 1/2 bath was off the foyer.

From the foyer, a closeable door in to a very large combination office with desk and chair / dressing room with two big closets. Also space for unpacking suitcases. From this room, you could enter the full bath or the bedroom.

Bedroom was also very big with a comfortable Marriott king size bed and large day bed / couch. Big flat screen TV.

Master Bathroom was very nice with a large soaking tub, great walk in shower, toilet, and single sink. Aromatherapy and Associates toiletries are quite nice.

The suite turned out to be a great space for sleeping / downtime, and just hanging out.

Arrival amenity / gift was very nice - fresh and dry fruit, nuts, rice krispie treat lollipops, chocolate chip cookies, fuji water, and a couple Brooklyn Brewery beers.

A highlight of our stay was the lounge. While we only stopped by for dinner one night (a nice Asian stir fry type meal, plus plenty of other items and an honor bar), we ate breakfast there every day (except New Years Day, when it was closed).

A great breakfast buffet, with hot items (eggs, bacon, sausage, oatmeal), plus cereals, yogurt, breads, fruits, smoked salmon, etc. Really a top notch set up, with quality food and coffee / tea, and great service as well.

We would get there early-ish, as if you waited until the last 30 - 45 minutes the line would be out the door with a wait for a table.

Turn down and housekeeping were well done.

Service was all around friendly and sincere.

Concierge helped us with a few items and recommendations / bookings.

Last - The location is among my favorite in the City. Right on Central Park, near Times Square (and New Years Eve ball drop, which we watched live!), Theater district, Rockefeller Center, MoMA, Christmas windows and shopping, and easy access to the subway, etc.

As I said earlier: A wonderful stay at a wonderful property in a perfect location.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Essex House is now on the list of exec lounges closed on the weekend, with 1,000 points & no cont'l brekkie.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:45 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Essex House is now on the list of exec lounges closed on the weekend, with 1,000 points & no cont'l brekkie.

Cheers.
Wow, that now sucks. Last time I was there, I got the impression that the lounge breakfast was the basically the buffet from the hotel restaurant. That's gotta go for a minimum of $49 pp weekends, well worth giving the 1000 points out and seeing who'll bite...
Old Jan 19, 2015, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Wow, that now sucks. Last time I was there, I got the impression that the lounge breakfast was the basically the buffet from the hotel restaurant. That's gotta go for a minimum of $49 pp weekends, well worth giving the 1000 points out and seeing who'll bite...
I just received an email from someone at the property saying the exec lounge is open for breakfast on the weekends. I told them Marriott has their property listed on the exempt list so they might want to get that corrected, but that I would give a heads up here.

Cheers
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:24 pm

Further update. Technically Essex house is on exempt list. They've chosen to keep the lounge open for breakfast on weekends for elites. Being on the list provides them an out if they ever change the policy in the future, but right now the practical policy Hans' t changed.

Cheers
Old Jan 19, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
I'll be staying here on points march 23-28. 205,000 points for a 2 double room. I hate that so many hotels don't offer nice,but affordable rooms with 2 beds. I would gladly pay a bit more/use some more points for a suite with 2 beds, but the only other option at the hotel with 2 beds was $5,500 a night. No thanks.

I am very excited though. Hotel looks fantastic.
Old May 20, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Took my now wife on our first trip together to New York and to the Essex house. We are now returning for one night, many years later, on our way to Japan. Does anyone have contact email for GM or other Sr staff. We had a Central Park View suite last time and I'd like to recreate the experience. This time though, we'll be here with our 17 year old daughter as well. We're currently booked in a family suite but I don't believe it has any view.
Old May 20, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
Took my now wife on our first trip together to New York and to the Essex house. We are now returning for one night, many years later, on our way to Japan. Does anyone have contact email for GM or other Sr staff. We had a Central Park View suite last time and I'd like to recreate the experience. This time though, we'll be here with our 17 year old daughter as well. We're currently booked in a family suite but I don't believe it has any view.
PM sent with the contact info I have.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:43 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Does anyone have any experience with the family suites? I believe that there are three different options? Gonna take my family here for spring break I think so looking at something reasonable for a family of five (three kids under seven yes of age). How does the lounge access work? Technically for golds/plays its for the elite and 1 guest right?

Thanks
Fdw
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Does anyone have any experience with the family suites? I believe that there are three different options? Gonna take my family here for spring break I think so looking at something reasonable for a family of five (three kids under seven yes of age). How does the lounge access work? Technically for golds/plays its for the elite and 1 guest right?

Thanks
Fdw
The Family Suite is a king bed with a queen size sofabed, lower floors - no real views per se. The Manhattan Family is high floors with 1.5 bathrooms, but same king/queen sofabed.

I think that either option would be fine, but with 5, I'd go with the Manhattan Family suite since it has the extra half bathroom.

Lounge access is for the member + 1 guest, not sure how it works for kids - maybe call the hotel and ask.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Priority Club Plat, Platinum Royal Ambassador, Marriott Rewards Platinum
Looking forward to our first stay in NYC and Essex House - does anyone have the email for Guest Relations as I have a few questions and requests for my reservation...
Old Dec 28, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by angelbud
Looking forward to our first stay in NYC and Essex House - does anyone have the email for Guest Relations as I have a few questions and requests for my reservation...

I've got the GMs email, but i'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it in a big thread like this, if someone could advise. Idk what FTs rules are on that.

Meanwhile, Ill shoot it to you in a PM.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver, Priority Club Plat, Platinum Royal Ambassador, Marriott Rewards Platinum
Originally Posted by jsucool76
I've got the GMs email, but i'm not sure if I'm allowed to post it in a big thread like this, if someone could advise. Idk what FTs rules are on that.

Meanwhile, Ill shoot it to you in a PM.
Great - thank you!
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The email address for the VIP Guest Relation manager at the Essex House is:

Per the post after this, removed, but PM me if you need that info.

I did check with her before posting here - she said it was ok to do so.

Please, of course, don't send her things like Platinum or Gold upgrade requests as she's really awesome & I don't want her to be overwhelmed with standard benefit type questions. Please only use her email for real guest relations needs.

Last edited by bhatnasx; Jan 2, 2016 at 11:27 am Reason: removed contact info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.