Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: Curr Noob, Ex Road Warrior
I dont have any status with UA or AA. I have SPG Gold and linked my old Marriott acct to it and got Marriott Gold status. Does the reward plus applies in such case to get the extra 10% for SPG-MR-UA transfers? I missed the 25% bonus on such transfers by Nov 30th (or will it still work?). I am trying to decide whether to transfer to UA or AA to book tickets while using the 7 night Travel pkg. (Are there similar bonus for AA transfers?) Approximately how long does such a transfer take? Thanks for the help.

Last edited by ikonos; Dec 1, 2016 at 2:46 am
Old Dec 1, 2016, 3:26 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ikonos
I dont have any status with UA or AA. I have SPG Gold and linked my old Marriott acct to it and got Marriott Gold status. Does the reward plus applies in such case to get the extra 10% for SPG-MR-UA transfers? I missed the 25% bonus on such transfers by Nov 30th (or will it still work?). I am trying to decide whether to transfer to UA or AA to book tickets while using the 7 night Travel pkg. (Are there similar bonus for AA transfers?) Approximately how long does such a transfer take? Thanks for the help.
The 25% is gone. 10% is part of the RewardsPlus perks. yes is applies to the SPG-MR-UA transfers. To see what is the best option figure out which airline will get you to where ever you want to go for the least amount of points. The Travel package gives you the best bang for your points. The Transfer can take 0-72 hours to complete.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ikonos
AA standard (saver) award availability has gotten really bad. I thought we might be just a bunch of whiners on the AA board complaining about not getting the awards we wanted, but even the bloggers are testing it out and verifying. Here's an article from yesterday: https://www.travelcodex.com/2016/12/...ay-not-bother/
I know that's just a few routes, but you should check out the availability for where you want to fly before committing to an airline.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 8:14 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by ehallison
AA standard (saver) award availability has gotten really bad. I thought we might be just a bunch of whiners on the AA board complaining about not getting the awards we wanted, but even the bloggers are testing it out and verifying. Here's an article from yesterday: https://www.travelcodex.com/2016/12/...ay-not-bother/
I know that's just a few routes, but you should check out the availability for where you want to fly before committing to an airline.
Yes!! I saw that. I'm allocating most future flights to United(Asia) and Delta(Europe).
Old Dec 3, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Redeemed a Marriott RewardsPlus Travel Package award last week. Very pleasantly surprised that the miles posted to my UA account in about 12 hours.

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:56 am
t1c

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Redeemed a Marriott RewardsPlus Travel Package award last week. Very pleasantly surprised that the miles posted to my UA account in about 12 hours.

-FlyerBeek
Yeah they seem to have been posting in under 24 hours for most people.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Any word on whether this program will continue for 2017 calendar year?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caseminole
Any word on whether this program will continue for 2017 calendar year?
You're asking way too early. Last year (well, calendar-wise early this year) this was asked on Jan 6:

Originally Posted by Duke787
Haven't seen any announcement about 2016 from either party (for 2015 it looks like United issued a press release on Dec 17 2014).

Anyone with insight into whether this program is being continued or should we assume that the lack of announcement suggests it wasn't renewed for 2016
So you may have wait to over a month if they time it like last year, or still a couple weeks if they time it like the year before.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 8, 2016 at 2:14 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
You're asking way too early. Last year (well, calendar-wise early this year) this was asked on Jan 6:

So you may have wait over a month if they time it like last year, or still a couple weeks if they time it like the year before.
thx!
Old Dec 10, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, SPG Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade, Club Carlson Gold
Hi all, hoping some knowledgable folks can help me clarify...

I am looking to redeem 2 biz class tickets on United (for a SYD-BKK redemption) on Thai Airways. This is 30k United points per ticket, so a total of 60k United points needed.

I currently have 20k Starwood points, and a stash of AMEX MR points to convert.

Guessing my 20k SPG points will convert to 60k Marriott points - so I will then transfer 56k Marriott points to United, giving me 25k United points + 20% bonus (5k) = 30k United points, which is enough for 1 redemption.

So I will then need to convert equivalent AMEX MR points to 20k SPG points and do the same transfer again?

Or is 112k Marriott points the sweet spot for 50k Marriott points + 20% bonus (10k) = 60k United points?

Hope I'm making sense... :-)
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by yaksha98
Hi all, hoping some knowledgable folks can help me clarify...

I am looking to redeem 2 biz class tickets on United (for a SYD-BKK redemption) on Thai Airways. This is 30k United points per ticket, so a total of 60k United points needed.

I currently have 20k Starwood points, and a stash of AMEX MR points to convert.

Guessing my 20k SPG points will convert to 60k Marriott points - so I will then transfer 56k Marriott points to United, giving me 25k United points + 20% bonus (5k) = 30k United points, which is enough for 1 redemption.

So I will then need to convert equivalent AMEX MR points to 20k SPG points and do the same transfer again?

Or is 112k Marriott points the sweet spot for 50k Marriott points + 20% bonus (10k) = 60k United points?

Hope I'm making sense... :-)
270K is the sweet spot IMO. Category 1-5 Rewards Plus Hotel + Air Package. You get 132,000 United Miles and 7 night hotel certificate. Obviously you don't need that many miles, but if you have that many points, you should go for it. I personally don't think the straight points to miles transfers are a good deal unless you have points to burn. We have to stretch points since we only travel for pleasure, and this redemption is our go to (or the MVC cat 5 travel package).
Old Dec 10, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, SPG Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade, Club Carlson Gold
Thanks but won't really need the extra miles or a 7 night stay at this point. Unfortunately seems like it's consecutive night stay required.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch

So you may have wait to over a month if they time it like last year, or still a couple weeks if they time it like the year before.
Posted this over in the UA forum but just received my Platinum renewal packet for 2017 and it includes a RewardsPlus flyer. Flyer indicates that per usual as Marriott Platinum I am eligible to sign up for complimentary Premier Silver status.

So the double dipping continues for Marriott and SPG Plats in 2017 which is nice. Crossover rewards for any Delta flights (via SPG Platinum) and UA Silver for any United flights.

Will be interesting to see which wins once the programs merge in 2018 - I assume it'll be whichever CC issuer prevails (United if Chase and Delta if AMEX).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:52 pm

Posted this over in the UA forum but just received my Platinum renewal packet for 2017 and it includes a RewardsPlus flyer. Flyer indicates that per usual as Marriott Platinum I am eligible to sign up for complimentary Premier Silver status.
Thanks for the confirmation! I will need to buyback Marriott Platinum in 2017 if I want to maintain that level, and having access to United Premier Silver is a large motivator to do so.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:52 pm

So the double dipping continues for Marriott and SPG Plats in 2017 which is nice. Crossover rewards for any Delta flights (via SPG Platinum) and UA Silver for any United flights.

Will be interesting to see which wins once the programs merge in 2018 - I assume it'll be whichever CC issuer prevails (United if Chase and Delta if AMEX).
Thanks for the post in both forums.

I missed qualifying United Silver for the first time in 30 years in 2016, but I have Marriott Platinum, which i qualified for in November, 2016

At what point will Marriott direct United to give me the Silver status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.