Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by sutho
This is not true at all.

I got upgraded to first/business on the dreamliner from Melbourne Australia to Los Angeles,
was a silver member at the time, and used points for the flight also.

Was upgraded about 1 hour before the flight was due to leave.
That's not supposed to happen - either economy was oversold, or there was surprise and delight going on. But in general, even if you were the only passenger on that plane and sitting in economy, united would not upgrade you to business on that flight (whereas they would on a CPU eligible flight, ie. domestic and NA).

Ie you experienced an exception, once. That's going to happen extremely rarely.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by sutho
This is not true at all.

I got upgraded to first/business on the dreamliner from Melbourne Australia to Los Angeles, was a silver member at the time, and used points for the flight also.
This was an operational upgrade ("op up") and only happens when coach is oversold and they need to upgrade some to business, which doesn't happen often. When it does, usually they start with the highest status and go down to the lowest status (or they might consider whether Star Gold status). Thus, op-ups are very rare for silvers, especially on trans-oceanic flights.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by televisor
That's not supposed to happen - either economy was oversold, or there was surprise and delight going on. But in general, even if you were the only passenger on that plane and sitting in economy, united would not upgrade you to business on that flight (whereas they would on a CPU eligible flight, ie. domestic and NA).

Ie you experienced an exception, once. That's going to happen extremely rarely.
I must have just been lucky, although there were some empty seats in premium economy section.

Domestic flights I have been getting about a 50% strike rate of being upgraded to first, usually from Orlando to Chicago, or Orlando to Houston,
very rarely going back to Orlando though.

Also, flying back to Australia this year in June/July, I will update if I get an upgrade again
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by EVA777
Back on topic - I was UA silver via Marriott Plat until the end of 2016. I am still Marriott Plat but my UA status is back to member. I have tried to re-register for Rewards-Plus but it says I am already registered. Is this lapse in status normal or do I need to call in for correction? I have a couple UA flights in my future.
That's unusual. As I understand it, if you were Silver in 2016 it carries until the end of January 2017, which would explain why they say you are "still" registered.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to call, but if your flights aren't until later this year I'd wait until mid February and see if your Silver status is renewed for 2017.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 3:54 am

I first registered for the status match last summer (UA Gold, no Marriot status, so I matched to Marriott gold).

I've requalified for UA status for 2017, do I need to renew the status match registration to keep my Marriot status (i.e. I haven't requalified for Marriott Gold, since I only stayed a few nights last year).
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor
That's unusual. As I understand it, if you were Silver in 2016 it carries until the end of January 2017, which would explain why they say you are "still" registered.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to call, but if your flights aren't until later this year I'd wait until mid February and see if your Silver status is renewed for 2017.
Thanks. Yeah my flights won't happen until later. I'll just told tight, instead of the phone run around.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, United Silver, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
I had waited to upgrade my MR account to Gold through RewardsPlus until a couple weeks into 2017 so I would end 2016 with Silver status and therefore some rollover nights. Unfortunately for me the system read my status as Gold during the rollover process and I missed out on a bunch of rollover nights. Marriott is unwilling/unable to credit the rollover nights. So word of warning if anyone else finds themself in a similar situation. Wait until rollover nights post until you request your status upgrade.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 7:19 pm

Sorry, I am trying to decipher some of the threads and can't seem to find this answer or probably just not understanding some of the other posts.
So, I have attained my Plat status for the new year...will United automatically be aware of this at which time the I will keep my Silver status without having to do anything on my end? Do they send out the lounge passes again etc., automatically.
Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 4:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Sorry, I am trying to decipher some of the threads and can't seem to find this answer or probably just not understanding some of the other posts.
So, I have attained my Plat status for the new year...will United automatically be aware of this at which time the I will keep my Silver status without having to do anything on my end? Do they send out the lounge passes again etc., automatically.
Thanks.
You have to get your accounts manually linked by doing this:

https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/

I'm Marriott Platinum and United usually has no clue that a MR Plat should be at least UA Silver -- this is because it requires manual registration via the above site.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 26, 2017 at 12:22 am
Old Jan 29, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Do they send out the lounge passes again etc., automatically.
Thanks.
No lounge passes come with silver status (or any status for that matter).
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njcommodore
No lounge passes come with silver status (or any status for that matter).
It's United credit cards (from Chase) that may give lounge passes (at least with certain offers).

Now, higher United statuses (definitely not Silver) may give lounge access under certain circumstances (such as when traveling internationally), but still not lounge passes, and not domestic lounge access I don't think.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
It's United credit cards (from Chase) that may give lounge passes (at least with certain offers).

Now, higher United statuses (definitely not Silver) may give lounge access under certain circumstances (such as when traveling internationally), but still not lounge passes, and not domestic lounge access I don't think.
Yup:
- Chase MPE: 2 lounge passes per year
- Chase United Club card: Unlimited UC access (+ *A lounge access?)
- United Gold or higher: UC access for flight departures within 24 hours of an international flight (i.e. a domestic flight departing within 24 hours of an international flight, regardless of being before or after the international flight, will get you access).
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by televisor
Yup:
- Chase MPE: 2 lounge passes per year
- Chase United Club card: Unlimited UC access (+ *A lounge access?)
- United Gold or higher: UC access for flight departures within 24 hours of an international flight (i.e. a domestic flight departing within 24 hours of an international flight, regardless of being before or after the international flight, will get you access).
Oh, and remember, of course, that if you redeem for (or buy) a business class (or higher) international ticket, you can get lounge access related to those flights even if you have no United status and even if you have no United credit card.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by joeags
You have to manually request the status change to United Silver status, Marriott won't do anything without you making that move.
An update: I was already a United Silver in 2016, but did not re-qualify

I already had plans to use my FlexPQM to top me off for Silver for 2016

I made Marriott Platinum in November, when I found out about RewardsPlus.

I realized I didnt need to use my FlexPQM after all

I linked my accounts.

When my 2016 Silver expired 1/31/2016, my 2017 Silver did activate, with a message that it was done due to my participation in RewardsPlus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.