Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole
Thanks for the post in both forums.

I missed qualifying United Silver for the first time in 30 years in 2016, but I have Marriott Platinum, which i qualified for in November, 2016

At what point will Marriott direct United to give me the Silver status
You have to manually request the status change to United Silver status, Marriott won't do anything without you making that move.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:15 am

I just flew on United from London to DC and as a silver didn't get upgraded with about 5 Biz Class seats empty on the plane. I even confirmed with the FA that indeed the seats were never allocated and were empty. I was in Economy Comfort (paid for it).

Just a reference point for what Silver gets you vs Marriott Gold.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: MR Plat; AA Gold; UA Silver
I don't believe any airline allows for free upgrades on European flights. Per United:

Complimentary Premier Upgrades are available on most United- and United Express-operated flights in the following regions:

Continental U.S.
Hawaii
Alaska
Canada
Mexico
Central America
Caribbean
Oceania

Originally Posted by jr1202sr
I just flew on United from London to DC and as a silver didn't get upgraded with about 5 Biz Class seats empty on the plane. I even confirmed with the FA that indeed the seats were never allocated and were empty. I was in Economy Comfort (paid for it).

Just a reference point for what Silver gets you vs Marriott Gold.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jlb3
I don't believe any airline allows for free upgrades on European flights. Per United:

Complimentary Premier Upgrades are available on most United- and United Express-operated flights in the following regions:

Continental U.S.
Hawaii
Alaska
Canada
Mexico
Central America
Caribbean
Oceania
jlb is correct, at least for United. E+ would have been a free 'upgrade' 24 hours out for Silver though.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
UA does not upgrade Sliver, Gold, Plats, or 1Ks into a premium cabin (excluding E+, which isn't really premium) for free on p.s. domestic and international long-haul. Not sure if GS members could potentially have such a perk, but for sure Sliver through 1K does not get any CPU on any long-haul international flight. The previous responses given above by jlb and mindrisa are 100% correct.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by crfgon
UA does not upgrade Sliver, Gold, Plats, or 1Ks into a premium cabin (excluding E+, which isn't really premium) for free on p.s. domestic and international long-haul. Not sure if GS members could potentially have such a perk, but for sure Sliver through 1K does not get any CPU on any long-haul international flight. The previous responses given above by jlb and mindrisa are 100% correct.
GS certainly do (did) get comped upgrades on interational flights.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by joeags
You have to manually request the status change to United Silver status, Marriott won't do anything without you making that move.
I think i need to wait until Feb 1 to check. My Silver status from 2015 (actually qualifying for it via flying) expires 1/31/2017

I called Marriott today, she said you have to register online (I did).

She said it takes up to 2 weeks for you to see it reflected on your United account (I cant see for reason stated above)

If theres an issue, they have to manually investigate
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:33 am

I just received my transfer ~36 hours after submission.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Silver Upgrades

Spend some time reading about the benefits for Premier Silver status. You do NOT get free upgrades from the US to Europe. Period. You may get a free upgrade on a domestic US flight, but Silver status is the lowest elite status. I have the highest status you can earn - Premier 1K - and I only rarely get a domestic upgrade (less than 35% of the time). GS status is an invitational status from United that requires tens of thousands of $ in buying tickets. Very few people have it.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Counsellor
GS certainly do (did) get comped upgrades on interational flights.
Just to correct this overly broad statement that gives an incorrect impression, GS can receive comped upgrades on a) flights that they've requested an upgrade using a GPU if there's space available (some would debate whether that's truly "comped"), b) flights that are oversold in coach and need to operationally upgrade someone to the next cabin, c) shorthaul international flights that are eligible for "Complimentary Premier Upgrades" like SFO-YVR. A GS is (was) not entitled to get "comped upgrades" on say, SFO-NRT if the flight's empty and they didn't purchase a high enough fare and support it with an instrument, not as a published part of the program.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:09 am

You may be right as to this year's rules (or even last year), but while a GS may not be "entitled" to an upgrade, in the past they were indeed given upgrades on international long-haul flights without request for or collection of a GPU or as an operational upgrade (e.g., upgrade to F because of oversold C). It was an unpublished benefit.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by Counsellor
You may be right as to this year's rules (or even last year), but while a GS may not be "entitled" to an upgrade, in the past they were indeed given upgrades on international long-haul flights without request for or collection of a GPU or as an operational upgrade (e.g., upgrade to F because of oversold C). It was an unpublished benefit.
That benefit would apply to the highest level MP member on-board in the oversold C cabin. If they need to bump someone up a class due to a cabin oversell, and the highest level member is a 1K with the assumption that there is no GS member in the cabin, then the 1K will be upgraded to accommodate the revenue C pax.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:29 pm

Yes, those are called "operational upgrades" or "op-ups".

That's not what I was talking about (as you can see, I excluded op-ups and GPU-supported upgrades). In the old days, a GS would be given a complimentary upgrade on international long-haul if space was available (and it frequently was). That may no longer be the case, I don't know, but it certainly was the case.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:28 pm

Programs: Marriott titanium elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crfgon
This is not true at all.

I got upgraded to first/business on the dreamliner from Melbourne Australia to Los Angeles,
was a silver member at the time, and used points for the flight also.

Was upgraded about 1 hour before the flight was due to leave.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:37 pm

Back on topic - I was UA silver via Marriott Plat until the end of 2016. I am still Marriott Plat but my UA status is back to member. I have tried to re-register for Rewards-Plus but it says I am already registered. Is this lapse in status normal or do I need to call in for correction? I have a couple UA flights in my future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.