Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
And if you make Plat Premier they give you UA Gold.
I'm PP w/ Marriott and just got a United Gold card in the mail. I've been PP for years and this was the first time I received something like this.

I won't fly United (or Delta), so it's wasted on me
Old May 2, 2016, 7:39 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by orca15
I'm hoping against hope that Delta-SPG carries over to Marriott. Inever seem to have the right combo of FF programs...Although the United Silver card is fun to hang on my bag with my Delta tags.
But the Delta/ spg doesn't grant any status and you actually have to have status in both programs to benefit. The only thing I wish MR/UAL would do would be to grant MR gold UAL silver and maybe bump MR Plat to UAL gold but that isn't going to happen.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by chitownjeff
I'm PP w/ Marriott and just got a United Gold card in the mail. I've been PP for years and this was the first time I received something like this.

I won't fly United (or Delta), so it's wasted on me
When did you join Rewards+ ?
Old May 3, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic 3, Marriott Platinum Elite
Data point for transferring to JetBlue from a Silver Elite account. I needed a few extra points to book a flight and decided to exchange 30k Marriott points for 5k JetBlue miles. I know, not the best rate but I needed the miles....

I initiated the transfer around noon on Monday, and by Tuesday morning they were in my JetBlue TrueBlue account. Less than 24hrs for them to post.
Old May 7, 2016, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by thetangstr
I just did the same thing a minute ago. What ended up happen in your case?
What happened in your case??

I'm hoping to move 20k from my wife's account to my Alaska account.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:34 pm

Marriott Platinum / United Silver

I stumbled across on Marriott's website that Platinum members get United Silver status. I started the sign up process but noticed I had to accept what appeared to be a pretty long document of mumbo-jumbo. Is this one of those deals where it's too good to be true (i.e., I lose something in the process)? Or is it basically what it says?

Notes:

- I generally float between silver & gold with Marriott but ended up Platinum thanks to a lot of travel last year.

- I try to fly Delta as much as possible but have found myself on United a few times this year due to better fares.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
It is basically what it says
Old May 17, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's already this main thread:
and this other thread:
about the same subject.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:45 pm

Transfer points from SPG - United - Marriott

I am really needing some Marriott points soon. Already have business and personal Marriott Chase cards, CSP, and Ink, so can't use those cards to get more points.

I do, however, have some SPG points. Will I be able to transfer those to United and then transfer them from United to Marriott? I don't have any elite status with them, but I just applied for a gold status match with United.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by pyx44; Jul 15, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pyx44
I am really needing some Marriott points soon. Already have business and personal Marriott Chase cards, CSP, and Ink, so can't use those cards to get more points.

I do, however, have some SPG points. Will I be able to transfer those to United and then transfer them from United to Marriott? I don't have any elite status with them, but I just applied for a gold status match with United.

Thanks for the help.
"Will I be able" and "should I" are two different things.

In case you're not aware, while SPG transfers to most airlines at 1:1, it transfers to UA at 2:1 (ie, you need 2 SPG points for every one UA mile).

That, on top of how poor any UA to Marriott transfer would likely to be (even if it can be done), means that if you only have "some" SPG points (as opposed to a zilllion of them), you'll ikely end up with extremely few Marriott points. So much so that you'd probably be better of just some spend onto a Marriott credit card you already have. (You can certainly earn more Marriott points from your Marriott or CSP or Ink card just by using it for everything.)

Meanwhile, since SPG is merging with Marriott, if you leave the SPG points as they are (and keep them from expiring), they'll likely turn into way more Marriott points automatically than you could get right now going through any possible UA route. But of course, that won't help with anything short term. I just mention it as yet another reason that SPG to United is not the best way to earn Marriott points right now.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 15, 2016 at 4:40 pm
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can you buy the needed points from Marriott?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:28 pm

2 SPG to 1 United, then 1:1 United to Marriott. So you will need twice as many SPG points as MR points.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:36 am

Thanks for the replies. Did not realize that it was only a 2-1 ratio for United. I will try to do the MS route instead.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by tylerc
What happened in your case??

I'm hoping to move 20k from my wife's account to my Alaska account.
Anyone?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:13 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by pantanal
how is it not worth it?

you get 30k united miles for 56k Marriott points with the 20% promo

conversion to any other airline is 70 K marriott to 25K airline miles
wow I wish they were that good now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.