Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2016, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
That would simply make the whole Marriott-United tie-up disappear with a year.

Here's what would happen:

Every blogger in the world would publish how to get UA Gold status for $800:
Marriott would get flooded with new Platinums who got Platinum this way only for the purpose of getting UA Gold cheaply.

UA would realize this and totally end the Marriott tie-in.

Ie, it can't be just about what's fair, it also has to be about what makes each company earn money vs what makes each company lose money. If they give away too much, they lose money.

Keep in mind, for reference, that Detla's tie-in with SPG is even weaker in this direction, as it doesn't even give first status level up at Delta to SPG Platinums. So there's no precedent for second-level up at an airline being given on an ongoing basis to anyone with status at any non-airline program.
Fine, then have a published benefit for Plat Premiers.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
It just feels that loyal Marriott members get the short end of the deal.
I love it when people complain about stuff they get for free.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I wish Marriott would renegotiate with United to offer its Platinum Elite members to get complimentary access to United Premier Gold status instead of the crappy Premier Silver status which doesn't do much good. Since loyal United members who have United Premier Gold status gain complimentary Marriott Gold status, it should only be fair. It just feels that loyal Marriott members get the short end of the deal.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I love it when people complain about stuff they get for free.
Seriously - it's a heck of a lot better than nothing. And at least for me it has had the desired effect of making UA my preference for Y travel again.

I've been an airline free agent for a while but the UA Silver that I got this year after getting Marriott Plat last year combined with the departure of Smisek made me give UA a second chance.

Certainly it has been mixed (seats are still as poor as ever) but I do have a 100% success rate of getting E+ at check-in (window or aisle) and I'll take UA E+ for free all day over flying AA/DL in E- at a cost.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by Duke787
Seriously - it's a heck of a lot better than nothing. And at least for me it has had the desired effect of making UA my preference for Y travel again.

I've been an airline free agent for a while but the UA Silver that I got this year after getting Marriott Plat last year combined with the departure of Smisek made me give UA a second chance.

Certainly it has been mixed (seats are still as poor as ever) but I do have a 100% success rate of getting E+ at check-in (window or aisle) and I'll take UA E+ for free all day over flying AA/DL in E- at a cost.
My experience is similar - not a regular UA flyer, but the silver status through MR Plat has given me E+ on every flight in the past year (three round trips) and I was upgraded to F twice on unpopular routes mid-week. For as little effort as I put into being a loyal UA flyer, they have done okay by me.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Anyone know how long Marriott to United transfer takes? I am trying to book a UA award, but it will need booked by Sunday to the close-in booking fee. Wondering if I transfer points today whether they'll land in my UA account. If not, anyone know if UA will let me book the flight without sufficient miles in my account if they're "coming?" That may be a question for the UA forum.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA PM (by 2MM), DL GM (by 3.5MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat
Generally, it takes about two days for the points to post (Marriott to United). So, you are close for Saturday. You can talk to MR and ask them, but that's my experience.

And no, United won't let you book without enough miles.

Billy
Old Apr 23, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Traferred them Tuesday night, they landed in my account Thurday morning. Sad part is, UA flight jumped from 10K saver to 25K standard award on one of the legs...so then I didn't have enough! Oh well. Will modify my plans accordingly.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott , United, Delta, Priority Club
Originally Posted by am13
Anyone know how long Marriott to United transfer takes? I am trying to book a UA award, but it will need booked by Sunday to the close-in booking fee. Wondering if I transfer points today whether they'll land in my UA account. If not, anyone know if UA will let me book the flight without sufficient miles in my account if they're "coming?" That may be a question for the UA forum.

I am a Marriott Plat so it could be different for others, but I have done this twice and both times it took about 36-48 hours. Very easy process.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:20 am

United MileagePlus Silver for MR Platinum

Hi all. I realize I may be late to the party here, but I'm a long-time MR Platinum and just got an email from MR regarding the "RewardsPlus" program where you allegedly get MileagePlus Silver. I tend to avoid United at all costs but having status may make it tolerable. Have any of you participated in this? Is it true MileagePlus Silver or is there some sort of asterisk? Do you keep MileagePlus Silver every year or does it have to be "earned" in the traditional way (which I'll never do, I'm an AA guy) every year? Any information you all have would certainly be appreciated.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
I've received Silver status each of the past few years as a lifetime Marriot platinum member. It's full Silver status, just as if you earned it by flying on United. I was 1K on United for several years but due to lack of business flying the past several years I had no status on United. I did make a couple of international trips last year and having Group 2 boarding and ability to upgrade to Economy Plus on the day of travel due to Silver status did make it much more bearable.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by BruceWG
I've received Silver status each of the past few years as a lifetime Marriot platinum member. It's full Silver status, just as if you earned it by flying on United. I was 1K on United for several years but due to lack of business flying the past several years I had no status on United. I did make a couple of international trips last year and having Group 2 boarding and ability to upgrade to Economy Plus on the day of travel due to Silver status did make it much more bearable.
Thanks, Bruce. Just so I'm understanding you correctly, you haven't "earned" MP Silver the last couple of years, correct? It's just carried over with your MR status? Kinda like SPG Gold? I feel foolish this has been around for a while and I had no idea. I don't think it would've made United my preferred carrier but they're very reasonable about of SYR and I likely would've booked them a few times with status benefits. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by PeakTek78
Thanks, Bruce. Just so I'm understanding you correctly, you haven't "earned" MP Silver the last couple of years, correct? It's just carried over with your MR status? Kinda like SPG Gold? I feel foolish this has been around for a while and I had no idea. I don't think it would've made United my preferred carrier but they're very reasonable about of SYR and I likely would've booked them a few times with status benefits. Thanks for your help.
I have not flown more than 5k UA miles per year but have maintained UA silver via this program for the last two years. Yes, it's carried over with the MR status, as long as the program continues.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
FWIW - if someone doesn't have status w/ UA, there's no downside IMO to signing up/linking the MR/UA accounts to obtain Silver.

Cheers.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
FWIW - if someone doesn't have status w/ UA, there's no downside IMO to signing up/linking the MR/UA accounts to obtain Silver.

Cheers.
Many thanks. The website to do the linkage is down, so I called MR and they said they'd do it for me by contacting United and letting them know I'm Platinum. I have very little faith this will actually happen. She said it "could take a few weeks." HA!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
And if you make Plat Premier they give you UA Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.