Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London EDITION Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
No more free breakfast for Plats as per email from hotel: "To celebrate The London EDITION opening we previously included “Breakfast-on- us” as an additional benefit to your Marriott Platinum Rewards status to thank you for your support and custom. After 2 successful years and more exciting hotel development and openings to come, Marriott International is re-aligning the current and future properties with your existing Marriott Platinum Rewards program to provide a consistent experience for our guests across the EDITION Brand. Therefore the complimentary breakfast option is no longer available at EDITION Hotels"
Print Wikipost

London EDITION Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:35 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by JayeJ
Lol, "penny pinchers?" At £50 it's more like an income stream... robbery minus the gun, perhaps. Those little signs look ever so tacky.
Those signs are in so many luxury hotels - Park Hyatts, RCs, etc. - the EDITION isn't doing something unique. If people weren't crazy enough to steal large bottles, they would have no reason to put a sign out, but alas, people are crummy and greedy.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Guests can just pump the content of the bottles into their travel bottles though.

These so called "Eco Friendly" solution looks more like cost cutting for me.

If they genuinely want to reduce plastic waste, then they can use those ceramic/glass reusable jar then clean and refill the jar everytime a guest check in for hygienic reason.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Yeah, especially when the property still gives out plastic bottles of water.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:42 pm

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Guests can just pump the content of the bottles into their travel bottles though.

If they genuinely want to reduce plastic waste, then they can use those ceramic/glass reusable jar then clean and refill the jar everytime a guest check in for hygienic reason.

Indeed. Was wondering if housekeeping measures the amount in it daily and they charge you if suddenly only little bit is left
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
That would be interesting if they did
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:04 am

Not sure how eco friendly it is... the white seal on those bottles looks pretty flimsy to me.

So if the seal is broken by the guest by accident... Do they throw out the entire bottle or paste a new white seal on it and pretend everything is okay?

Lol
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by itisme
I tried it last week and i am very unimpressed. No clue why people would pay 800+ for a basic room here. One of the smallest hotel rooms. Decent bed. Friendly staff. Creepy painting with woman staring at you all night. Upgraded from Queen to king bed room (titanium). No amenities in room tho (no bottle of water or anything).

What i'm suprised of the most tho: they use shampoo/conditioner/soap from bottles that you can literally open and put in whatever you want. Thought that was a HUGE safety issue? If this was the U.S. lets say vegas and someone peed in it or threw something else in it and next guest used it they would prob sue the hotel for not taking safety measures. There's so many fixes for this yet they leave it like that? For a hotel at that price range that seems very odd. Great you wanna be green and not use all the little bottles and all (which i still would expect at a place like this tho) but this doesnt seem right. I'm sure 99% people are good people but just need 1 drunk or crazy person to put other things in it ....
The warnings on the hand soap bottle i would also rather expect at a hostel and not at this kind of hotel. If you are so afraid guests will take it then lock it or use another solution...
I guess the price is worth it for people who like the location or who like to support 6 doorman standing around opening the door for you (they are great and friendly tho).

Also: if travelling with someone else. If you take a shower you WILL wake up the other person. It's the loudest noise. They use different method of plumbing (vacuum-based) so there will be a mega loud noise coming from the shower (and the toilet flush) all the time while you are using it.
Just when I thought this property cannot get any worse....
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There may be valid grounds for criticizing this property, but their use of bulk toiletry dispensaries is hardly unique or noteworthy. If you are any kind of frequent traveler, you should know that it is becoming more and more common at properties around the world, including many true 5* properties. Indeed, on our recent SE Asia trip, the best properties (Capella Ubud, FS Jimbaran, Andaz Singapore) used bulk dispensers, while the two worst (Sindhorn Kempinski, GH Erawan) had single use bottles.

I care a whole lot more about overall product and experience than the container they put the shampoo in.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 1:53 pm

Had a stay here and thoroughly disappointed.

Room was way overpriced and the soundproofing was very weak as I can hear the sounds from every directions available.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 3:42 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Apologies for the delay in posting this, but here is my trip report from the EDITION! In summary, I think this is a fine hotel, but I struggle to find a reason to stay here over the W (similar price and location) as the W offers a more comprehensive set of Elite benefits as a consequence of the EDITION's exclusion from the breakfast benefit. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Upgraded to a Loft King (think the bed was actually a queen), which is the largest room category - not sure if suites are actually available for upgrades here and I didn't ask
  • The room has an interesting design with a ton of wood paneling - at least, it feels unique
  • The bed was quite comfortable - just-right mattress, plush covers when the faux fur is added on top, and decent pillows - the linens are also really smooth and nice
  • Shower pressure was strong, even from the rainfall head
  • Nice view towards BT Tower from the 5th floor
  • Delivered a nice welcome gift of some tasty shortbread-type things
  • No issue with 4 PM late checkout
  • Service was friendly
Cons:
  • No breakfast - brand issue
  • Noise isolation from the hallway is quite poor, as noticed by the full-on conversation between my next door neighbor and Room Service at 10 PM
  • No Internet TV OS
  • Room is quite dark, which was exasperated by one of the lamps not having working bulbs
  • No outlet in the bathroom - a sign says this is British law, but they should have added a shaver outlet like every other hotel in London
For those who stay here, I would highly recommend going to Dishoom Carnaby on Kingly Street for breakfast - delicious and bottomless house chai and the bacon and egg naan roll - yum!

Photos:

Old Dec 30, 2022, 9:20 am

You got way nicer room than mine.

No upgrade on my stay even though the apps show whole range of room/suite available for cash booking.

I was assigned base room on 2nd floor room.
It have nice view towards other apartment building window, and the plumbing is making loud noises everytime me or next door neighbours use their toilet/shower/sink.
Apparently the FD know about this.

The room sound proofing was very weak as you mention.
Can hear every gossips from my neighbours including the one on the street
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2023, 12:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Hugely disappointed by my stay here.

Key points:-

Terrible soundproofing. Woken all night by doors banging and people talking in the corridor. In the morning (about 6 am) I had the pleasure of hearing one set of neighbours making love and the other set watching TV.

The room was tiny. Totally covered in wood with a really creepy picture on the wall staring at me. I was told at check in that I had been upgraded to a deluxe room. Maybe I had but God help those in the category below. There were plenty of suites available but this property just “doesn’t upgrade” either on space availability or SNU basis, even for Ambassadors. It felt like a prison cell decked in wood. Only redeeming feature was a good blackout blind. There is no airflow and the AC makes a huge noise.

The bathroom is very badly designed. There is a huge sink which slopes down. It is barely usable and there is nowhere to put your toiletries. The shower door opens outwards almost to the point where you have to stand on the toilet to open it fully. There is a note lying that British law prevents them from installing a shaver outlet. It does not. Towels and products are very mediocre. If you’re sharing the room prepare to hear and smell everything from your partner’s visit to the bathroom.

The vibe of the hotel is very much “this is where all the cool people stay”. The staff exude a supercilious, almost arrogant air. They are polite but you get the feeling that they’ve already marked you out of ten for what you’re wearing, before they have said “good morning”.

There was zero recognition of my Ambassador status at check in and nothing by way of welcome in the room.

The bar is OK but very overpriced. The food is ludicrously overpriced and you’d be far better eating out whenever you can. Room service is available but the rooms are too small to eat in.

I booked a five night stay but left after the first night.

My strong advice is to stay well away from this tourist trap.

Last edited by HFHFFlyer; Aug 12, 2023 at 8:00 am
Old Aug 13, 2023, 8:47 pm

Programs: AS100k, DL Diamond, MarriottAmb, FlyingBlueSilver
The rooms are tiny yes,.. Lack of good views for many of them not facing the street.,However, I do really like the quality of staff throughout, but especially at both bars and the quality of drinks/wine list is top notch..
In my experience the Editions in general, are hit or miss in the true luxury + trendy and simply just trendy with speckles of luxury sprinkled in..

Yeah, there are better places to stay that are same price or even little less but I would (and will) stay there again in the future, because, well it’s kind of trendy and cool.
Old Aug 14, 2023, 4:25 am

It seems like London EDITION is consistent
Old Aug 14, 2023, 6:49 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I think people know what they are going to get at this property. It is always full and gets great reviews consistently. It also gets legitimately bad reviews, as from HFHFFLyer. It will always be at the top of my list when visiting London, and hope little changes about the property.
Radiation Station and JCT001 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.