Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London EDITION Hotel [Master Thread]

Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
No more free breakfast for Plats as per email from hotel: "To celebrate The London EDITION opening we previously included “Breakfast-on- us” as an additional benefit to your Marriott Platinum Rewards status to thank you for your support and custom. After 2 successful years and more exciting hotel development and openings to come, Marriott International is re-aligning the current and future properties with your existing Marriott Platinum Rewards program to provide a consistent experience for our guests across the EDITION Brand. Therefore the complimentary breakfast option is no longer available at EDITION Hotels"
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Was on the Marriott website looking up a London property for someone, and noticed that they're opening an Edition property this October.

The property website is a bit generic at the moment, but location is on Berners Street, which is in the Fitzrovia/Soho area. That's where I'm at oftentimes when in London, but not sure I can give up my beloved Grosvenor House.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ondon-edition/

"Opening in October 2013

The London EDITION has all the hallmarks of the EDITION brand: lasting comfort, extraordinary style and an exceptional level of service in a uniquely individual environment. Located in central London’s Fitzrovia, The London EDITION brings together, in a delicate balancing act, the integrity and character of a historic building with a simple, sophisticated design sensibility, creating a seamless blend of charisma and ease. With 173 rooms, a restaurant, two bars, a dance club, meeting rooms and a buzzing lobby, the hotel offers a dynamic social hub where guests and visitors can work, relax, socialize and dine all under one roof."

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
I had noticed the same thing when I was researching London hotels last week. It had popped overnight. Not there one night, then all of the sudden, it was there the next day. Marriott sure has a nice collection of properties in London.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Taking over the Sanderson, perhaps?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:46 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

The historic Berners Hotel dates back to 1835. The property originally was comprised of five residential houses and was ultimately converted into a hotel. The layout includes a basement, ground and seven upper floors, and incorporates original architectural features, such as ornate ceilings and a marble-clad reception area.

The new London EDITION Hotel will be located on Berners Street, in the city’s Fitzrovia neighborhood. This historically bohemian area was once home to writers, including Virginia Woolf, George Bernard Shaw and Arthur Rimbaud. Today, it is London’s media and advertising hub. The heart of Fitzrovia is Charlotte Street with its numerous excellent restaurants, boutiques and galleries that will be just minutes from the hotel. Also within walking distance will be the British Museum, Theatreland and Soho.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:50 am
Original Poster

I didn't realize it was the old Berners hotel. I stayed there many years ago!

Website also says this: "Flexible sub-level event space, ideal for fashion shows, product launches, playbacks and private social occasions", which of course ties into media & advertising. I can also see them using it during London Fashion Week.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 9:59 am

I checked two places and neither indicated that EDITION offers the Platinum free breakfast amenity. Is there a site that offers a better answer?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:22 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by dayone
I checked two places and neither indicated that EDITION offers the Platinum free breakfast amenity. Is there a site that offers a better answer?
Yup, no free breakfast at Edition and (curiously) no points for incidental spend either.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 10:31 am
iwc

Originally Posted by dw
Yup, no free breakfast at Edition and (curiously) no points for incidental spend either.
When the Waikiki Edition was around they offered a $25 credit in lieu for either room service or spa.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Off-topic:

Originally Posted by dw
(curiously) no points for incidental spend either.
To me this is the next thing elites (well, actually any MR member, as it affects us all) should really try to get changed w/ Marriott. It's one thing for no incidental spend at places like RI, FFI, & TPS, but other brands where you can spend $$ at the property it makes zero sense to not receive points for that incidental spend.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I noticed this on the marriott.com website too.

I was booking a hotel in July and and the hotel actually showed up as available. When I tried to book it, I received the notification that it will not be open until July.

Marriott is making moves in London - two new Autograph props, a Bulgari, and an Edition in one year.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by iwc
When the Waikiki Edition was around they offered a $25 credit in lieu for either room service or spa.
That "experiment" didn't turn out so well.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I noticed this on the marriott.com website too.

I was booking a hotel in July and and the hotel actually showed up as available. When I tried to book it, I received the notification that it will not be open until July.
Website says not opening until October. Just tried a dummy booking. October 16th is the first date it's available & it's coming in at 295GBP, whether weekday or weekend. It will be interesting to see if the rate stays the same daily. The other Cat 9s rates drop on the weekends. Website isn't showing whether this will be a Cat 8 or 9.

BTW - when I stayed at it when it was Berners, my room was quite small.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:35 pm

Not yet bookable with points. I bet it will be a Cat 9. The room descriptions suggest that it does (still) have some small rooms.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Website says not opening until October. Just tried a dummy booking. October 16th is the first date it's available & it's coming in at 295GBP, whether weekday or weekend. It will be interesting to see if the rate stays the same daily. The other Cat 9s rates drop on the weekends. Website isn't showing whether this will be a Cat 8 or 9.

BTW - when I stayed at it when it was Berners, my room was quite small.

Cheers.
Correct - I meant October. Typo on my end
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Seem to remember that the Berners Hotel appears in a Sherlock Holmes story.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.