Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London EDITION Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
No more free breakfast for Plats as per email from hotel: "To celebrate The London EDITION opening we previously included “Breakfast-on- us” as an additional benefit to your Marriott Platinum Rewards status to thank you for your support and custom. After 2 successful years and more exciting hotel development and openings to come, Marriott International is re-aligning the current and future properties with your existing Marriott Platinum Rewards program to provide a consistent experience for our guests across the EDITION Brand. Therefore the complimentary breakfast option is no longer available at EDITION Hotels"
Print Wikipost

London EDITION Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:06 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

@ProfessionallyHomeless Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:27 pm

The fact that this hotel can make lazy lurkers like myself make the effort to post a review attest to the level of service this hotel offers.

If anyone is in doubt, feel free to reach out and I can provide the relevant evidence for your reference. Also my reviews are for the more recent months i.e. beginning of 2022.

It could be that you are a frequent customer and that you get preferential treatment on the property OR as mentioned in my posts, it could be localised to a few terrible staff working on the property and making it their goal to ensure you have the worst hotel experience in your life. If it is the latter, it ultimately boils down to the luck of the draw to who is working at the receptionist counter when you check in i.e. (start praying that it's not someone named Nicole).

Ultimately, when one is spending these much money/points on such a high end property, I would assume that the person won't want to leave things to the luck of the draw. At least I won't. Separately, they have arbitrary policies such as no upgrades on holidays, tea service is chargeable and etc. This clearly lacks transparency. Yes, yes, yes I get it. When you stay at the London Edition, you are supposed to be rich enough to not care about prices (and hence the lack of a price list in my room) but mere mortals like me really need to know what I am paying for.

In terms of availability, the hotel is available on most if not all dates from now till the end of 2022. Price doesn't really equate to the level of standards i.e. as mentioned in my post above, whereby my Moxy stay was much better as compared to London Edition.

In all fairness, the restaurant/bar and the punch room boasts of awesome architecture and ID design. The restaurant in particular is set in an amazing backdrop (kudos to the interior designer and architect). The hardware of the hotel is impressive. However, having a successful bar and Punch Room (a pseudo drinking pub) brings about itself a set of problems. The noise level on weekend nights is incredible and lower level rooms are affected badly. You are left to the mercy of the front desk to rotate your rooms if you deem the noise level as way too high (again you might face the wrath of Nicole in such situation).

I would assume that the rooms do fill up on the weekends when people get too drunk and need a place to stay? I met a couple of drunk people in the lift on both Friday/Saturday nights. Maybe it could have been existing hotel guests having a good time. Nonetheless, I wished I was in their shoes as being drunk on this property is perhaps the only way to enjoy the stay here.

All in all, I would highly recommend you stay away from this property. Unless there is a price revision to reflect the standard of service being provided i.e. the price of the hotel is much lower or you really have to stay in this location (the location of hotel is pretty convenient), I would advise you to look elsewhere.

A couple of my friends subsequently booked a stay at the Bankside after my reviews. They were very pleased with their stay at Bankside... which made me even regret more as to why I did not stay there subsequently (I cancelled the Bankside reservation for London Edition for my second stay).

All in all, beautiful hotel but terrible staff.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I am genuinely surprised to hear about issues with this hotel. I’m hard to impress, but I’ve had four or five excellent stays here over the last few years. I have only once not been upgraded to at least a Loft. I’ve stayed as Platinum, Titanium and Ambassador.
Were your stays pre 2022? It seems most of our reviews are for the more recent stays.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ronliu1980
Were your stays pre 2022? It seems most of our reviews are for the more recent stays.
My two most recent stays were December 2021 and June 2022.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Whoa .... got a trip to London planned for November and initially thinking of staying here.

Reading the reviews, I guess I better find different hotel.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, American Airlines Executive Platinum, Delta Platinum
I will be the first to say that one stay is a fairly small sample size, so I'm open to believing that I just got unlucky. All of my edition stays have been as Ambassador. I will likely stay there again at some point to see if I have an improved experience, and I'm hopeful because it probably is my favorite Marriott brand. I think one of the challenges the Edition brand has is that it attracts a fairly "cool", non-Marriott crowd, and as a result loyalty members are often frustrated with an experience that isn't aligned with other more loyalty focused properties.

I wouldn't write off the Edition altogether but I probably wouldn't pay a big premium at this point.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 10:10 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Whoa .... got a trip to London planned for November and initially thinking of staying here.

I certainly have no reason to doubt the recent negative experiences. But I will say I’ve had very positive experiences consistently here, with decent to fantastic upgrades, and superb customer service. It’s possible there are new staff who have not been trained to the same standards as the longer term staff that I’ve gotten to know. This is certainly a problem that I have noticed at other hotels in 2022, as we emerge from the covid pandemic.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by ProfessionallyHomeless
I will go ahead and back up ronliu1980 s' experience. I'm a frequent lurker, but have never posted before, and had a stay at the London Edition in February of 2022 that was fairly poor (not my worst ever stay, but quite bad for the property tier). It was the first time I ever wrote to my Ambassador to complain. I've stayed at most of the other Edition properties, and rank them amongst my favorite hotels (Barcelona and New York on Madison especially), so I have no overall opposition to the opposition to the brand. I think the hardware is about as good as you can get without going into some of the ultra-luxury properties.

I booked a 4 night stay in February of 2022 (so not exactly peak demand). I had several key issues:
  • Similar to other users, I inquired about space-available upgrades (the trip was for a special occaision). I do believe I technically got upgraded to a room with a king bed, but as others have noted, it was staring at a wall (about 2-5 feet from the windows. My preferences explicitly state I prefer a room with a view, but when I inquired if a downgrade to such a room was available I was told no.
  • I also inquired about paid upgrades, as I have had very positive experiences at other Edition hotels, and could see that some of the nicer rooms were available. I was quoted an upgrade price which was significantly more than the cost of booking the room outright (when considering the cost I had already paid for my room). I don't understand how that practice can be acceptable and it frankly seemed insulting.
  • I had worked with the concierge to have some flowers and drinks brought to the room (Pre-paid), this experience was excellent BUT the hotel ended up charging me twice for those items under the guise they were part of the room mini-bar. They were fairly responsive in refunding that charge.
  • Perhaps most concerningly, after receiving my bill via email, I learned that they had charged me for an entire second room (of a higher tier than my own room), upon inquiry, they insisted that I had somehow paid for another guests room. It took 1 month from my initial email to get that charge refunded (Several thousand dollars)
I'm not sure what is driving some of the challenges with billing and customer experience that this property seems to have. Again, the location is excellent, the property is beautiful (although I suspect a sizeable percentage of their rooms face brick walls), and individual staff experiences were generally positive (the doormen in particular were excellent), but there is possibly a disconnect with some of the core room-management activities. I would love to see some of these issues fixed, because I would like for this property to be back on my list of options.
Nailed it. Shockingly, my experience is pretty much similar to yours. Sadly... I had no response to the incorrect bar item which was charged. A reply email regardless of the investigation outcome would have been nice.

Till to date, total silence from the incompetent management.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7

Haha. Please don't let our reviews scare you off.

You might get lucky on your stay + if it turns out otherwise, it will be interesting to have a "once in a lifetime" experience at the London Edition.

The horrendous experience actually do make for a good story whenever I relate it to my friends and family and provides much laughter on hindsight.

A win-win in my opinion.
Old Sep 2, 2022, 12:19 pm

I certainly have no reason to doubt the recent negative experiences. But I will say I’ve had very positive experiences consistently here, with decent to fantastic upgrades, and superb customer service. It’s possible there are new staff who have not been trained to the same standards as the longer term staff that I’ve gotten to know. This is certainly a problem that I have noticed at other hotels in 2022, as we emerge from the covid pandemic.
Having new staff is not an excuse for a 5 star hotel to have terrible service. For the price they are charging, they have to make sure that their monkeys are trained before letting them out of the zoo. I suppose when people pay top dollar/points for a stay, they expect a stay at a 5 star hotel and not the Marriott training academy. If your staff is not trained, clearly he/she should not be on the job.

Also, Boris at the Moxy Frankfurt Hotel is barely 2 months in the hospitality industry and is one of the best receptionist on the job. Either he has some secret talent for being a hotel receptionist or the management had some decency to ensure he is adequately trained for the job before letting him man the counter.
TGLoyalty likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by ronliu1980
Haha. Please don't let our reviews scare you off.

You might get lucky on your stay + if it turns out otherwise, it will be interesting to have a "once in a lifetime" experience at the London Edition.

The horrendous experience actually do make for a good story whenever I relate it to my friends and family and provides much laughter on hindsight.

A win-win in my opinion.
Not a bad idea
I will see how it goes. If I feel adventurous I might try The EDITION London.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:56 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
I tried it last week and i am very unimpressed. No clue why people would pay 800+ for a basic room here. One of the smallest hotel rooms. Decent bed. Friendly staff. Creepy painting with woman staring at you all night. Upgraded from Queen to king bed room (titanium). No amenities in room tho (no bottle of water or anything).

What i'm suprised of the most tho: they use shampoo/conditioner/soap from bottles that you can literally open and put in whatever you want. Thought that was a HUGE safety issue? If this was the U.S. lets say vegas and someone peed in it or threw something else in it and next guest used it they would prob sue the hotel for not taking safety measures. There's so many fixes for this yet they leave it like that? For a hotel at that price range that seems very odd. Great you wanna be green and not use all the little bottles and all (which i still would expect at a place like this tho) but this doesnt seem right. I'm sure 99% people are good people but just need 1 drunk or crazy person to put other things in it ....
The warnings on the hand soap bottle i would also rather expect at a hostel and not at this kind of hotel. If you are so afraid guests will take it then lock it or use another solution...
I guess the price is worth it for people who like the location or who like to support 6 doorman standing around opening the door for you (they are great and friendly tho).

Also: if travelling with someone else. If you take a shower you WILL wake up the other person. It's the loudest noise. They use different method of plumbing (vacuum-based) so there will be a mega loud noise coming from the shower (and the toilet flush) all the time while you are using it.
hp12c likes this.

Last edited by itisme; Sep 27, 2022 at 4:54 am
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:01 am

The hotel used to provide the small bottles of Le Labo toiletries, which I also enjoyed taking home. They changed this year to the large bottles, which they charge you for taking home with you. I agree it’s a downgrade, and the notes make them look like penny pinchers.
itisme likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Same bottles here at the Barcelona edition. I believe the white tape / strips are intended to signify they haven’t been tampered with by other guests. At the end the day large bottles are increasingly industry standard

Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:28 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
The hotel used to provide the small bottles of Le Labo toiletries, which I also enjoyed taking home. They changed this year to the large bottles, which they charge you for taking home with you. I agree it’s a downgrade, and the notes make them look like penny pinchers.
Lol, "penny pinchers?" At £50 it's more like an income stream... robbery minus the gun, perhaps. Those little signs look ever so tacky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.