Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

London EDITION Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
No more free breakfast for Plats as per email from hotel: "To celebrate The London EDITION opening we previously included “Breakfast-on- us” as an additional benefit to your Marriott Platinum Rewards status to thank you for your support and custom. After 2 successful years and more exciting hotel development and openings to come, Marriott International is re-aligning the current and future properties with your existing Marriott Platinum Rewards program to provide a consistent experience for our guests across the EDITION Brand. Therefore the complimentary breakfast option is no longer available at EDITION Hotels"
Print Wikipost

London EDITION Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:48 pm

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Really? A change that affects their smallest brand is their greatest ripoff?
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rip-off

That's actually a fairly accurate term.

In MR history, what is worse? I understand there are more substantially bad deals to be given and higher impact changes Marriott could make, but It's pretty hard to justify putting my points there after this devaluation and other changes I've seen that they made do not seem as out of place as this. It's basically Ritz reward level with Marriott cat 9 cash value, and none of the Ritz card holder benefits can be used. A cat 5 to 6 devaluation, which many people are complaining about the mass amount of this year, makes it impossible to use free certs, but the change in value isn't that difficult to adjust to with points, and for the amount of points you put in there not much more you can get still, unlike moving an Edition up into Ritz tiers and not adding anything to justify the change in value.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What Ritz card holder benefits can be used at Ritz's on award stays?

Worse devaluations- lots! The hopper loss was the worst for us.

On a random upcoming night in London I see:

Edition- 50K/365
GH- 45K/288
PL- 45K/359
MA- 45K/220
StE 40K/239
StP 45K/269

I don't see the Edition as a big ripoff in this list?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
What Ritz card holder benefits can be used at Ritz's on award stays?

Worse devaluations- lots! The hopper loss was the worst for us.

On a random upcoming night in London I see:

Edition- 50K/365
GH- 45K/288
PL- 45K/359
MA- 45K/220
StE 40K/239
StP 45K/269

I don't see the Edition as a big ripoff in this list?
Well, yes, you can't use the club level upgrade on free nights, but if you went cash and pts for a longer stay you could. So I guess it's just unappealing to me that none of that is an option in any case compared many other options in that reward category and it seems the change wasn't warranted by anything specific to make it comparable to the significant number of tier 3 hotels out there already.

Yes, I said there are more generally worse changes they could make, and I assume by the hopper you mean european or island hopper redemptions, which really sucks.

As for the Edition's cash value at 365; that is on the high side for prices I've seen over a few months of loooking and more often than not the price seems to be hovering around 300 gbp / 450 usd which I will grant for 50,000 pts is not the worst ripoff on its own, but I meant the change as a rip-off rather than the standing rate.

Yeah, there are certainly far worse values out there for Marriott, I think the Dalmahoy in Edinburgh seems even worse than whats on your list since you would have to put up 35,000 points for a room that can easily go for 115gbp/172.5 usd which is .49 cpp compared to MA at .73 cpp or Edition, StE, StP at .9 cpp.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:55 pm
KRS

Had a 2-night weekend stay here in May; booked Superior room (GBP200/night with LNF).

Checked in around 15:30, but no rooms were available as the hotel was at 100% capacity. However, we were offered complimentary drinks while we waited, so we had a glass of Champagne in the lobby. The room only took 15/20 minutes to be ready, though disappointingly the Champagne was not served chilled enough.

The high occupancy also meant no upgrades. No platinum gift was offered (which is correct), though I did get credited an additional 500 points for the stay. The Superior room (we got one on the 2nd floor) is listed on the website as 28 sqm, which sounds about right, and was quite sufficient for us. No coffeemaker in the room as noted upthread, but I didn't read that until after our stay (or had forgotten) - not that I would have requested a Nespresso anyway. One positive was the selection of glasses available, though none that were appropriate for the Krug in the minibar. Bathroom had a large shower, but no bathtub. I also liked how dark the room became at night; no light from multiple gadgets that you now sometimes get at various hotels.

Breakfast was complimentary for Platinum members. It is all a la carte, no buffet. We were told we could also order room service, though we decided to eat in the restaurant both days as we rather liked it. On the first day was the only time I have been asked if I had a reservation for breakfast
I think the menu is on the Berners Tavern website, but our breakfast (for 2) was around GBP60 each day. The food was good and I would love to go back, but I would have expected some of it to be better. The coffee I found to be so-so (though rightfully I am a coffee snob - Kaffeine around the corner from the hotel is recommended, as is The Attendant a couple more blocks to the north), and the croissant was nothing special. IIRC breakfast closes at 10:30, though we observed a few people arriving around that time and later that were seated and served.

The location worked well for us on this trip, though with Tottenham Court Road closed, Oxford Circus is the nearest tube. The walk is only 5 minutes, though depending on the crowds it can be more - I suggest NOT walking Oxford Street for instance Uber to Heathrow T5 was GBP37 (fixed), and I think a car arranged by the hotel was quoted around GBP90.

As mentioned by others the hotel is quite lively on the weekends, though we were out elsewhere and only noticed walking when through the lobby coming and going (and when sharing an elevator with two girls so drunk they could barely stand, though still holding on to their white wine glasses).

The gym is in the basement, hence no view. Though is had one of the better selections of equipment I have seen at hotel gyms.

This was my first stay in an Edition, and I quite enjoyed it. We were given a late check-out until 3PM, and on returning from my run in Regent's Park our last day I was greeted by the doorman with a bottle of water and a towel ^
I will definitely consider returning, if the location suits that trip and I can get a decent rate.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Sorry for the tardiness of this post. Stayed at the London Edition 5-12 August on a MR award stay + Ł30 per day upcharge for a Superior room. The upcharge was definitely money well spent, and we were further upgraded to a roomy Deluxe room (the Superior/Deluxe designations were reversed from what they are at the Grosvenor House). I think a Superior room would have been fine, but would not have been happy with one of their smaller rooms (which can sometimes be discounted on award stays).

Though there is no lounge, the Edition did a lot to make up for it. There were freshly made "punches" waiting for us in our room. They also brought a few snacks (fruit, pastries) to the room during the course of the stay. This was, however, a bit random and not a daily occurrence. If you must have a mint left on your pillow, you will not get it here. What was as regular as clockwork was free the bottled water that was brought to the room every day.

The free breakfast for Platinums in Berners Tavern crushed any concierge lounge breakfast you could imagine. Great room, lots of choice, excellent food. If you are paying, the food is priced fairly for the location, but drinks are quite high. Though they only comp breakfast for two, we were three on a few mornings and one on others. I was unsure about how they would charge us for the third (1/3 of the bill? The lowest priced item ordered?). At check out, however, they did not charge us for the third. I expect that this was because when we were three we never ordered more than many of the parties of two who have posted. As a result, our total bill was well in line with what two would have spent. Given that I dined solo several mornings, we averaged two at breakfast, so I think this was fair.

The room itself was furnished with style in mind. The faux fur throws strike me as silly. The tufted armchairs are not especially comfortable. The Scandinavian modern desk chair is, however, very comfortable. The odd light switches that some complain about are really no big deal. A bit confusing for a day, but not a problem on a longer stay. Our shower, as many have commented, leaked mildly from the door, but it was not a major issue. And it was a lovely, large, and super comfortable rainfall shower with an additional wand. The lighting in the bathroom is not great, but the supplied magnifying mirror was very high quality (and it could be moved into the bedroom for access to natural light).

The beds are everything they are made out to be. Extremely comfortable with very nice linens. And the blackout curtains did the job. We slept extremely well. This was probably aided by the fact that for the duration of our 7 night stay we did not hear a soul in any of the adjoining rooms. I don't think I can say that about any other hotel at which I have stayed, anywhere.

Service was excellent. Not perfect, but head and shoulders ahead of the other London properties at which we have stayed. It started well before the stay, when a reservation agent was very quick replying to all of my email queries. I never waited longer than 24 hours for a reply, regardless of when I sent my message. Check in continued the excellence. Unlike at other London properties, check in at the Edition was quick and painless. No long wait to be served, and no futzing around once check in began. We were also given a card to fill out to make special requests (Did we want a coffee or tea maker -- yes, tea, Did we want the minibar emptied -- yes, thank you!, Did we want an ironing board -- yes, please). Impressively, our requests were fulfilled within a few minutes of arriving in our room. Everyone was friendly and I never felt like I was not cool enough for the location (which had been one of my concerns).

The only areas in which the hotel was less than perfect was on follow through on things like the tea set up. I had to request additional tea sachets, as refilling was not part of housekeeping. We also had one or two minor glitches in the restaurant at breakfast (wanted a bacon and avocado sandwich, not just avocado), but they were remedied immediately.

For us, the best thing about The Edition is its location. There are so many great restaurants close by in Fitzrovia (try Portland or Salt Yard) and Soho (Duck & Rice was fun). A 30 minute walk east takes you to Quality Chop House, my current favorite for the hipster butcher take on traditional British fare. Liberty is just down Oxford Street, and Covent Garden and Mayfair are within walking distance as well. Over our 7 night stay we took the bus once and the tube four or five times. There's a lot of unanticipated credit left on our Oyster cards.

And I've already booked it for another 7 night stay next August!

Last edited by lexdevil; Sep 10, 2015 at 3:15 pm
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the updated trip report! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 3:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, Flying Blue Gold, MH Enrich Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
This was my 97th night in a Marriott/Ritz property this year and I was looking forward to experiencing EDITION London.... But it turned out to be a disappointing stay:

- Platinum members get only one category upgrade. The hotel was fully available in all categories, but they still would not give more than 1 category upgrade. After mentioning my disappointment, they gave us a 2 categories upgrade.... Still poor in my opinion, compared to every other hotel I have experienced. If higher category rooms are available, most hotels would try to please their platinum guests. The deluxe room we got still felt small and had no view at all.
- Free breakfast for Platinum members is discontinued. This is a a huge devaluation as the breakfast is all "a la carte". It is very good quality but it will cost you between 30 and 60 pounds per person. As breakfast was still included for Plats at time of my booking, they did finally give breakfast as a "Gesture of goodwil"...
- "priority late check out" mentioned as a Platinum benefit... When I asked for 3pm, they wanted to charge me.... The best the receptionist could do was 1pm... After asking her to check with a manager, they finally agreed to 3pm.
- On arrival, no one to help us with luggage. When the taxi driver asked the guy in uniform in front of the hotel, the answer was "I am security. I can't help with luggage".
- On the positive points: the bed is great... The toileteries are very good, from "Le Labo".

Given all this, I would not return and would select another Marriott family property in London, where Platinum members are actually valued.

Last edited by FlyingYan; Dec 22, 2015 at 3:51 am
Old Dec 22, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated. I'll edit the exec lounge sticky to reflect no more free brekkie for Plats.

Cheers.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:42 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by FlyingYan
- Free breakfast for Platinum members is discontinued. This is a a huge devaluation as the breakfast is all "a la carte". It is very good quality but it will cost you between 30 and 60 pounds per person. As breakfast was still included for Plats at time of my booking, they did finally give breakfast as a "Gesture of goodwil"...
How can they do that? Surely that's a Platinum benefit.

I assume there is no lounge for breakfast?
Old Dec 27, 2015, 3:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingYan
This was my 97th night in a Marriott/Ritz property this year and I was looking forward to experiencing EDITION London.... But it turned out to be a disappointing stay:
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
How can they do that? Surely that's a Platinum benefit.
Enjoy refreshments and complimentary breakfast for you and one guest in the lounge. In the U.S. and Canada, at hotels without a lounge or if the lounge is closed, you’ll have a choice of continental breakfast in the restaurant or 750 points. In Europe, hotels without a lounge offer a choice of breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points. See terms and conditions for full details and any exclusions.

At JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance Hotels® and Marriott Hotels® (Resorts, Courtyard Hotels, EDITION® Hotels and AC Hotels are excluded).
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Have updated the wiki to reflect no more free brekkie for Plats & will update the exec lounge sticky as well.

Cheers.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 6:08 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by leeky
Enjoy refreshments and complimentary breakfast for you and one guest in the lounge. In the U.S. and Canada, at hotels without a lounge or if the lounge is closed, you’ll have a choice of continental breakfast in the restaurant or 750 points. In Europe, hotels without a lounge offer a choice of breakfast for two in the restaurant or 750 points. See terms and conditions for full details and any exclusions.

At JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance Hotels® and Marriott Hotels® (Resorts, Courtyard Hotels, EDITION® Hotels and AC Hotels are excluded).
Ah, yes... Apologies, brain fade.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:54 am

I have booked a points and cash stay at this property for October 2017, As this thread hasn't been updated in nearly a year, I was wondering if anyone had a recent stay here and cared to update and give their impressions or is this property. Or is the London Editon off the radar due to the canceling of the Platinum Breakfast benefit?
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
I have booked a points and cash stay at this property for October 2017, As this thread hasn't been updated in nearly a year, I was wondering if anyone had a recent stay here and cared to update and give their impressions or is this property. Or is the London Editon off the radar due to the canceling of the Platinum Breakfast benefit?
Stayed again this past August. Still love it, though I miss the breakfast. Not much special treatment based on status, but the service is really good regardless and the location can't be beat for our needs. I do find it worthwhile to pay the Ł30 per night supplement for a larger room, and we have always been very happy with our rooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.