Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Old Sep 30, 08, 11:18 pm
  #841  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Boston, MA (BOS)
Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
Posts: 5,559
Originally Posted by twoner32 View Post
I've done a lot of reading on this post - However, not all 57 pages. A couple of quick questions:

A. How many can a person order or each President?

B. How long does it really take? I just ordered my first one about a week ago

C. Do they all require someone to sign for them / can I have them sent to my work?

D. What's the most anyone has ordered?

Thanks
A. Only two boex ($500 worth) can be ordered per president/per address

B. My first order took about three weeks, however I did request registered mail service which does take longer

C. I've been following this thread and have read some posts indicating Fedex DID have then sign and other when Fedex didn't. I would recommend requesting registered mail (no additional charge) Simply place your order on the website then call in with your order number and request it. Please do keep in mind that if you select this option you can't track it as the tracking number provided only works when the item makes it to your local post office. This is by far the safest way and carrys no risk as it is fully insured.

D. I have ordered 2 of each: Jackson, Madison, Monroe, JQA, and Adams. I also have an order in progress now with Jefferson and Washington.

The coins are great for traveling and spending at places that dont accept CCs. I took $65 worth into the DMV last week to renew my plates. The best part was the conversation I had with the manager and arguing about CC fees. Anyway, they're very useful and I plan to order the Van Buren in November
AAerSTL is offline  
Old Oct 1, 08, 12:05 am
  #842  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Posts: 1,379
Originally Posted by AAerSTL View Post
A. Only two boex ($500 worth) can be ordered per president/per address

B. My first order took about three weeks, however I did request registered mail service which does take longer

C. I've been following this thread and have read some posts indicating Fedex DID have then sign and other when Fedex didn't. I would recommend requesting registered mail (no additional charge) Simply place your order on the website then call in with your order number and request it. Please do keep in mind that if you select this option you can't track it as the tracking number provided only works when the item makes it to your local post office. This is by far the safest way and carrys no risk as it is fully insured.

D. I have ordered 2 of each: Jackson, Madison, Monroe, JQA, and Adams. I also have an order in progress now with Jefferson and Washington.

The coins are great for traveling and spending at places that dont accept CCs. I took $65 worth into the DMV last week to renew my plates. The best part was the conversation I had with the manager and arguing about CC fees. Anyway, they're very useful and I plan to order the Van Buren in November


thanks for your help and thoughts. I ordered one the other day-9/24-Jefferson and so that order looks like it's in process and heading to my house maybe sometime...

On the next order, I will do what you suggest and ask for reg. mail. Thanks again.

I am excited to use them for tips, etc
twoner32 is offline  
Old Oct 1, 08, 12:15 am
  #843  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: USA
Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Posts: 9,539
A rogue Chase Bank teller charged me a $25 fee for depositing my seventh set of $500 coins in the past three weeks. The fee was reversed but totally unwarranted and out of order - it's not like they have to do count the darn things.
PhlyingRPh is offline  
Old Oct 1, 08, 12:55 am
  #844  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Posts: 436
Just placed my 3rd order -- this time multiple sets.

These are really great.

Ideal for getting the intro bonus on credit cards I churn without spending any money!

I also feel very patriotic helping the Mint put these back into circulation.

And yes, they are great for tips too!
And brushing up on my prez's.

Can't wait for MVB.
super-mileage-fan is offline  
Old Oct 1, 08, 3:17 am
  #845  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 215
Originally Posted by super-mileage-fan View Post
I also feel very patriotic helping the Mint put these back into circulation.
I hope that is sarcasm considering how much this is costing them. Simply the mint paying for your points with a good chunk of the $$$ being snagged by card processors and couriers.
*wood is offline  
Old Oct 1, 08, 6:06 am
  #846  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 187
The mint is most likely making money on these. It only costs the mint a few cents to make each coin (approx $0.18 I've seen estimated) and they sell them at face value ($1). The dollar coins in circulation means that the mint can take paper dollars out of circulation. The coins can last up to 30 years in circulation while paper dollars have to be replaced on average every 6 months. This means the mint has fewer printing costs for paper dollars. The mint itself estimates that it will save $500 million by taking paper dollars out of circulation and replacing them with coins.
jlgrandam is offline  
Old Oct 1, 08, 7:18 am
  #847  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, United Silver
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by jlgrandam View Post
The mint is most likely making money on these. It only costs the mint a few cents to make each coin (approx $0.18 I've seen estimated) and they sell them at face value ($1). The dollar coins in circulation means that the mint can take paper dollars out of circulation. The coins can last up to 30 years in circulation while paper dollars have to be replaced on average every 6 months. This means the mint has fewer printing costs for paper dollars. The mint itself estimates that it will save $500 million by taking paper dollars out of circulation and replacing them with coins.
I agree with your sentiment, but if these are so good, then the Department of the Treasury should drastically cut the number of paper dollars that are issued. It can't eliminate the dollar bill, but it must be able to make them so rare that people have to use the dollar coins!
DivMiler is offline  
Old Oct 1, 08, 9:47 am
  #848  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the road
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 1,051
The mint makes money on every $1 coin it sells. It doesn't have to offset any coins with dollar bills. Don't cry for them, they are doing just fine with their 80% profit.

Agree with above about replacing paper dollars, the Treasury needs to focus on coins for $1 and $2 denominations, like the EE has done. Their currency is worth 1.4x as much as ours and the smallest bill they have is a fin. People may whine and complain, but it will save the country in the long run.

Plus, chasing points, everyone here is using CCs for almost everything, right?
Cheapskate Travels is offline  
Old Oct 1, 08, 7:14 pm
  #849  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 85
Well James Monroe is out of stock again and before I could order any. Dang that was fast.
Caged is offline  
Old Oct 1, 08, 9:51 pm
  #850  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by *wood View Post
I hope that is sarcasm considering how much this is costing them. Simply the mint paying for your points with a good chunk of the $$$ being snagged by card processors and couriers.
My post had a smiley, and I was being semi-sarcastic.

It seems inefficient. On the other hand, I don't have enough information to second guess the decision of the US Mint here. This might be a reasonable method of distributing the coins in terms of government cost and societal cost/benefit.
super-mileage-fan is offline  
Old Oct 2, 08, 2:51 am
  #851  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: LAS; 1991 - 2010: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: Marriott Titanium. Life: UA 540K mi., United & Admirals Clubs, Marr. Gold
Posts: 10,464
Originally Posted by jn024 (Post #837) View Post
I cannot get their web site to work. Does anyone else experience this?
Every time you place an order, it can decrease your available credit limit for up to 14 days, even if the transaction is cancelled by the Mint due to their whacky inventory issues. Have you checked that?

Last edited by SPN Lifer; Oct 2, 08 at 3:03 am Reason: add “available.”
SPN Lifer is online now  
Old Oct 2, 08, 6:43 am
  #852  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Posts: 2,949
Multiple Order Clarification...pleeeease

I'm a bit confused as to my best shot for ordering another full set:

So, far I've already ordered the initial limit $3K on AMEX w/my Billing addy =Home and my Shipping Addy=Work

I then placed same order w/Same AMEX but changed Shipping addy to Home.

That order was Canceled

Now I'd like to try again w/my Mastercard that has the same name as the AMEX and also the same Billing addy =Home

Should that work?

Do I need to first change the Billing addy?

Does it matter where the Shipping addy is?

thanks and apologies if i was too thick to and missed the answes to these ?s
bk3day is offline  
Old Oct 2, 08, 11:57 pm
  #853  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Posts: 2,018
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer View Post
Every time you place an order, it can decrease your available credit limit for up to 14 days, even if the transaction is cancelled by the Mint due to their whacky inventory issues. Have you checked that?
Lol!!

Don't I know that?

I made the terrible mistake of ordering on my favorite card (granted I was already trying to order a duplicate set)...they canceled...and I tried again...

Long story short, my credit card has lost $5000 of it's Credit Limit. I essentially can't get it back until 14 days have passed...

A real annoyance when Microsoft Live has given us the 30% eBay coupon again...
thehawk75 is offline  
Old Oct 3, 08, 12:03 am
  #854  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SFO/SEA
Programs: Amex Biz Cent, JPMC Palladium, SPG/Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Chairmans Circle
Posts: 3,285
Just had three orders ship within 24 hours of each other...my UPS driver is going to hate me! One is going to my parents house in WA, and two orders are coming to me in CA (28lbs and 18lbs!). I can't wait to see the looks I get when I walk into the bank with $4K in coins....
brosnan6 is offline  
Old Oct 3, 08, 8:56 am
  #855  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: TX, FL
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 186
Red face

Hi,
I took $500 of my order to my Credit Union to deposit. The teller was very happy to get them. While I was still there, I heard another teller tell a customer they were all out of the Presidential Dollars. My teller let them know he had them!
Lisa
alexcturner is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: