Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2008, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by fone
Why do many people want to buy the coins to spend? Is there a difference swiping your card for the points, then spending the coins as compared to swiping your card for the actual transactions? Granted that not all places accept card, but if you were to replace part of what is supposed to be a card transaction with the coins, you will still get the same amount of points.
You've got it -- places that don't accept cash or for smaller transactions where I don't want to soak the merchant with transaction fees. I find them most useful for tips & road tolls. Easy access, can count them without looking at them and no need to drag my wallet out for it.

Originally Posted by GuyverII
My $750 arrived last week. Really disappointed in the number of places that won't take the coins! These people in the midwest are so adverse to change it is ridiculous.
I've not encountered people who flat-out refused to take them but I have come across a few places which were unfamiliar with them. On the flip side of this, I lugged quite a few of them over to a Wachovia branch and the tellers were amazed to see US Mint-wrapped coins and were very grateful for them -- apparently one of their customers comes in regularly asking for the coins. I'll be more than happy to keep them well-stocked.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cepheid
If the debt is cotemporaneous with payment (i.e. you get your product at the same time as you pay), merchants are entirely within their rights to restrict the forms of payment they accept.
It sounds like some customers need assertiveness training.

Leaving merchandise at the counter works well to train recalcitrant merchants.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 8:15 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KRSW
Y On the flip side of this, I lugged quite a few of them over to a Wachovia branch and the tellers were amazed to see US Mint-wrapped coins and were very grateful for them -- apparently one of their customers comes in regularly asking for the coins. I'll be more than happy to keep them well-stocked.
I've been depositing mine at the Wachovia branch nearby too (minus a few I keep, in case my son decides to start collecting coins in the future). The tellers there just love have me bring the coins in. They especially like the trays the rolls come on...
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:46 am

Purchase them on a Chase card and then take them into our local Chase to pay the bill. Just like a finely tuned system. No problems.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Leaving merchandise at the counter works well to train recalcitrant merchants.
Sure, the merchant may very well decide to "break policy" to complete the sale. My point was that they are not legally obligated to do so in such circumstances. This is in contrast to someplace like a sit-down restaurant, where you pay only after you eat; there, the merchant is legally obligated to accept all forms of legal tender.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:16 pm
Original Member

I purchased $500 of the coins on my American Airlines credit card.
  • The charge posted as a purchase.
  • I had them shipped to my U.S. Post Office post box.
  • They arrived at the post office registered mail, even though I did not request this. I had to sign for the package,
  • Two boxes of coins are not very heavy. I transported them from the post office to my Washington Mutual branch office, where I was going anyway.
  • WaMu accepted the coins as a deposit without complaint or charge. (Bank of America said they would, too.)
  • The deposit is earning interest before I have to pay the credit card bill.

OK. I am hooked. Thanks, guys.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:00 pm

Programs: Delta GM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Priority Plat, Avis Prez
So how many times can this be done? I know it's limited per ORDER but is there a limit to the number of orders that can be placed by an individual?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
Thumbs up Delivery

Originally Posted by pgary
Also just purchased $500 of George Washingtons (order made 6 days ago) on US Dividend Airways card. Arrived at my door via UPS about one hour ago, and driver left without waiting for a signature.

Now off to the bank (Citibank) to see if they'll accept the coins as rolled.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by KRSW
I've not encountered people who flat-out refused to take them but I have come across a few places which were unfamiliar with them. On the flip side of this, I lugged quite a few of them over to a Wachovia branch and the tellers were amazed to see US Mint-wrapped coins and were very grateful for them -- apparently one of their customers comes in regularly asking for the coins. I'll be more than happy to keep them well-stocked.
I asked at my credit union, and they have to pay to get the coins--and they do get a fair number of customers asking for them specifically.

I told them they can save some money and I'll provide them with them.

Steve
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by feelthecool
So how many times can this be done? I know it's limited per ORDER but is there a limit to the number of orders that can be placed by an individual?
YMMV but I had an order canceled while trying to use another CC but same address - I'm not going to add an "apartment" to my home address.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:40 pm

Programs: Formerly: UA 1K, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, FT Addicts Anonymous; Currently: Grounded
Just ordered $2.5k worth on Starwood AMEX. Any cards with double point offers coming up?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
  • The charge posted as a purchase.
  • They arrived at the post office registered mail, even though I did not request this. I had to sign for the package,
  • Two boxes of coins are not very heavy. I transported them from the post office to my Washington Mutual branch office, where I was going anyway.
  • WaMu accepted the coins as a deposit without complaint or charge. (Bank of America said they would, too.)
  • The deposit is earning interest before I have to pay the credit card bill.

OK. I am hooked. Thanks, guys.
do that times 10 and you have a pretty penny worth of interest in the citibank ultimate savings accounts that earn 3.55 to date. (or ING at 3%)

And, as said earlier, if you get a new AA MC and need to spend the $750 to get the 25,000 mile bonus for first purchases, just buy a load of coinage and you are done!

Cost for 25,750 miles? $0.
Free ticket to Fiji with family after doing that a bunch of times?
Priceless.

MM

as also said before, citi mastercards are among the only I know of that will allow the customer to call into CS and ask them to set the cash advance amount limit to $0 to never even have to worry about it NOT being a purchase!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
do that times 10 and you have a pretty penny worth of interest in the citibank ultimate savings accounts that earn 3.55 to date. (or ING at 3%)
FWIW, DollarSavingsDirect.com (a division of Emigrant Bank, who also own EmigrantDirect.com) now pays 4%.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Exec., Delta Silver
Originally Posted by icurhere2
YMMV but I had an order canceled while trying to use another CC but same address - I'm not going to add an "apartment" to my home address.

Are you married? Have children?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man

do that times 10
I thought the maximum per address was $3500 (and that only with different presidents in each order), and by my math $3500 is "that times 7", not "that times 10".

Meanwhile, you can't stick a fake apartment number on a PO Box number, or a non-USPS POish box (say, UPS Store) Suite number, or (if you actually live in an apartment) your own address which already includes an apartment number. And the person you were replying to is using one of those (a PO Box).

(And not all people's workplaces allow delivery of personal packages. So for some people "ship another package to work" isn't an option either.)

So can you please explain how someone who can't use (or fake) multiple addresses can do it 10 times at $500 each?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.