Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by rc408
I did hear this bailout would cost us each about $2500 so that my explain it.
Not to get too far off topic, but, the cost per taxpayer will be much higher than that, as we know not everyone pays tax; Old folks, disabled, welfare recipients, children, etc. Well, actually since none of the taxpayers are 'really' paying it anyway (as it's just simply going to be added to debt), maybe the children I mentioned earlier will in fact be paying for it. At any rate, I digress, way off topic...

To those of you not getting charged (yet), no, you are not that lucky . In one of my $1000 orders, my CC was only charged $500 the day the $1000 of coins shipped. It took a week for the coins to get to my house, still no extra $500 charge. It was not until 2 weeks AFTER my $1000 of coins were delivered that I got the second $500 charge -- yes, a full 3 weeks after the first $500 was charged on a $1000 order that shipped together, go figure
Old Sep 27, 2008, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Darn my car wash coin machine does not accept these coins.
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:25 am

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
I wanted to mention my experiences having these sent to PO Boxes.

I decided to open 4 PO boxes in August. It was just really easy online...I opened 1 and it said, "Want to open another one?" so I got a bit carried away. However, I got some Very funny looks from the people at the Post Office when I went to actually open the accounts. It really would have been much better to open one account at a time.

The accounts are $20.00/6 months, but you get a half refund if you cancel before the end of three months. I think I will have to cancel them before Van Buren comes out in order to qualify for the refund, but 3500 miles for $10.00 comes out to .0029 cents per mile, so it's still a great deal. Plus I got to hit the minimum spend on several churn cards very easily!

One issue I had was that, several times, the Mint shipped orders via UPS. Since UPS doesn't deliver to PO Boxes, this created a problem. Fortunately I stayed on top of the orders by following the tracking numbers. If this happens to you, here's what to do: keep checking UPS every day until your order says that they attempted delivery and an exception was thrown. At that point you can call them and arrange to pick up the coins at their office, or have them re-routed to your house. I've done both. When I picked them up from the service center, I had to give them my driver's license. When the Mint tried to ship another order to the same PO Box via UPS, they apparently had my address on file, because they automatically re-routed that one to my house. When they delivered to my house, they left the box on the doorstep and did not require a signature. I didn't mind because I was home and it saved me a trip to the Post Office.

So far I've had 5 orders delivered by registered mail to the Post Office, 3 orders delivered by UPS (ALL of them Jackson - I haven't had this problem with any other president). I have one more Jackson UPS order in limbo, it shows up in the UPS system but doesn't show as shipped yet. I talked to the Mint about it and they said that it may not have actually arrived at the UPS shipping facility yet and I have to wait several more weeks before contacting them again. The rest of my orders are either on hold, in process, or haven't been placed yet.

I hope this isn't too confusing. If you have any questions, please let me know. I hope this info helps someone.

Thanks!
-kirax2
Old Sep 29, 2008, 12:55 pm

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
So these packages are always signature required for delivery right? I am out of town and UPS claims they just delivered and that the package did not require a signature. Could this be true or are they just being annoying? I already contacted and they said they would pick it up and hold it until I get back but still quite annoying.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Only one of my four - including the order I received today - required a signature. The order today did not require a signature but the previous most recent order (the smallest of the four) was shipped priority overnight and did require a signature.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 1:15 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
Originally Posted by pattermj
So these packages are always signature required for delivery right? I am out of town and UPS claims they just delivered and that the package did not require a signature. Could this be true or are they just being annoying? I already contacted and they said they would pick it up and hold it until I get back but still quite annoying.
UPS is not lying. If you look back through the thread you will see that there have been many cases of people getting packages from UPS left on their doorstep with no signature required.

Next time you might want to call the Mint directly to order. I understand that they have sent some packages by registered mail at no extra cost when people requested it - but make sure that you won't be charged before requesting it. Most of the orders shipped to my PO Boxes were shipped registered.

-kirax2
Old Sep 29, 2008, 2:02 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
What's really pissing me off is how slow these guys are at processing the damn orders...my first order was almost a 3 week delay between order and shipment (with all items in stock) and my 2nd order is on its 2nd week right now. Typical government pace....
Old Sep 29, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
The order I received today was the first that arrived in fewer than two weeks from ordering . . .
Old Sep 29, 2008, 5:39 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
>>>>>>>>>>>>>my first order was almost a 3 week delay between order and shipment

Just wait to see how long they take to issue you refunds....correctly
Old Sep 30, 2008, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by pattermj
Every single one of my orders arrived UPS, $500 at a time, just a quick knock on the door and the driver was on his merry way. They always arrive on separate days even if it's all part of an order.

brosnan6: tell me about it. It feels a bit risky ordering these things not knowing when they'll show up. Especially when I'm out of town. Now I've just learned to order the coins while I'm out of town and hoping I'll be home when they get delivered.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 5:08 am

I don't know why YOUR order arrived

Originally Posted by KRSW
Every single one of my orders arrived UPS, $500 at a time, just a quick knock on the door and the driver was on his merry way. They always arrive on separate days even if it's all part of an order.

brosnan6: tell me about it. It feels a bit risky ordering these things not knowing when they'll show up. Especially when I'm out of town. Now I've just learned to order the coins while I'm out of town and hoping I'll be home when they get delivered.
"$500 at a time". But that is not true for everyone.

I received an order of $2,5000 the other day; two medium size boxes containing a total of 10 of the small boxes]. And, it was all "just a quick knock on the door and the driver was on his merry way."

I am fortunate that my address does NOT have problems with UPS deliveries getting ripped off, so I am not really upset about "no signature".

But, there may be a simple solution for a lot of people on this board. As long as you are not an independent contractor/consultant, and you have a business office, have the order shipped to your business address. If you are out of town, and the UPS agent needs a signature, someone there can sign. When you return, your desk will be groaning under the weight of your order.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:16 am

I cannot get their web site to work. Does anyone else experience this?

Greetings from the United States Mint.
The following order has been cancelled either at your
request or because we were unable to process it. We invite
you to resubmit the order via our website at
http://www.usmint.gov and click on Product Catalog.

Order # : XXXXXXXXXXXX- 1 Order Date: 9/29/08
Sold To . : XXXXXXXXXX

Shipped To:XXXXXXXXXX

Item Qty

Y06 2
GEORGE WASHINGTON $250 BOX $1

This is a system generated e-mail. Please do not reply.
If you have questions, please visit the Help page at
http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by jn024
I cannot get their web site to work. Does anyone else experience this?
I wonder if they're out of stock of those. From what I've seen, their inventory control system and website are NOT connected to each other. It seems almost as if the web sales are treated as a side job and they'll get to it whenever they feel they have the time to deal with them.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by KRSW

I'm not too worried about getting ripped off as all the delivery services deliver packages to my apartment manager's office if nobody answers the door and residents pick up when they get home (or if you ask, the office staff will drop it off inside the apartment)...it's more of just an annoyance of not knowing when to expect it and what credit card statement cycle the charge will fall in
Old Sep 30, 2008, 10:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Originally Posted by PHX_SOUS
As of today there are 6 coins available...ordered $3000 worth of coins just now...I am officially an addict

Thanks to everyone for posting

I've done a lot of reading on this post - However, not all 57 pages. A couple of quick questions:

A. How many can a person order or each President?

B. How long does it really take? I just ordered my first one about a week ago

C. Do they all require someone to sign for them / can I have them sent to my work?

D. What's the most anyone has ordered?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.