Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:46 pm

I think our conclusion is service is sporadic.

Which is something we should (from the jaded individual I guess) expect from a government institution. Speed isn't exactly equated with government.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by silam
I think our conclusion is service is sporadic.

Which is something we should (from the jaded individual I guess) expect from a government institution. Speed isn't exactly equated with government.

It appears that the shipping problem was with the Mint's fullfillment house, which was a private company. True the Mint choose the company and they got overwhelmed, but they fixed it. In the last couple of weeks it appears they got the problem solved as I and several others have been getting deliveries in 7-10 days. For free miles we all can afford to wait a little.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you still get free shipping?

(I'm sure it's discussed somewhere, but then again this thread is 157 pages long. )
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: ex-DL FO, what a pedigree
free shipping is still available, and they upgrade to 2nd day for decent sized orders.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PrineSwine
free shipping is still available, and they upgrade to 2nd day for decent sized orders.
Thanks.

How big is decent-sized?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 8:51 am
ecq

i've ordered $1k and it is shipped next day air.

turn around seems to be 2 weeks now.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by nerd

(I'm sure it's discussed somewhere, but then again this thread is 157 pages long. )
You can order 2 boxes of each President, currently there are 5 Presidents available, so maximum for free shipping would be $2,500. You can order 20 boxes of Native American's for $5,000 and those would be shipped free. All of the shipping is Next Day Air with signature required.

It appears if you order 1 box it may come by USPS, no signature required. Some have received 2 boxes via USPS or UPS, no signature required.

I wouldn't pay for shipping, free is much better.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:59 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by nerd

Shipping now costs $40 per box of $250, and, you also have to provide your SSN on orders $250 and up so that the Department of Homeland Security can properly track the money, and be sure that you are not money laundering or trying to start a terror cell. They are also tracking each coin by use of radioactive isotope Zn 72, used in the minting of the coins ...
Old Jun 9, 2009, 1:07 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by thehawk75
Shipping now costs $40 per box of $250, and, you also have to provide your SSN on orders $250 and up so that the Department of Homeland Security can properly track the money, and be sure that you are not money laundering or trying to start a terror cell. They are also tracking each coin by use of radioactive isotope Zn 72, used in the minting of the coins ...
i thought you were for real..haha. besides the part of the radio isotope. hard to tell in writing whether you were joking
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat
I thought I would report some severe adverse action from a credit card company related to the coins. I had been helping my family get some extra points from coin purchases, recently did an order for my mother in law, $2500 worth on her amex starwood card. Got the order fine and pretty quick as well (bout a week) but today she got an email stating that her credit limit had been reduced from 19,000 to 2,600 ! coincidence??? There was no other activity on the card in the last month besides a $39 purchase from newegg. And nothing else of interest happened with their credit to warrant the decrease (no run up in balances, inquiries, etc).

So I dunno, I was planning some large orders with my amex hilton but am pretty scared as I have a very large limit and don't want to get that cut.

Any other experiences?

I thought I recall some posts about people not receiving points for coin purchases or it being treated as a cash advance. I can say she did get the 2500 starwood points and it was treated as a purchase. The only negative was the huge credit decrease.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:36 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, this still works? Amazing. This is like the Second Coming of the savings bonds. I haven't done it yet but will definitely start so I can stay gold with HH. Sorry for being rude and not reading the whole thread but how much total dollar value can you buy per person/address?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by darkhunter
Got the order fine and pretty quick as well (bout a week) but today she got an email stating that her credit limit had been reduced from 19,000 to 2,600 ! coincidence??? There was no other activity on the card in the last month besides a $39 purchase from newegg. And nothing else of interest happened with their credit to warrant the decrease (no run up in balances, inquiries, etc).

Any other experiences?
Not personally but it was my understanding that AMEX was arbitrarily reducing credit limits (sometimes below the amount owed and thereby generating over-limit fee's).
Old Jun 9, 2009, 3:42 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry for another dumb question. I'm going away tomorrow and not back till Tuesday. How fast do these things ship? Is it safe to put in an order now and not worry about not being home for mail carrier?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:15 pm

Programs: WN A-List, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by darkhunter
no other activity on the card in the last month besides a $39 purchase from newegg.
Credit lines are reduced for a number of reasons, including odd activity. One $39 charge and then $2500 at the Mint smacks of fraud or recklessness. It was apparently neither in this case, but Amex seems to have made a sound decision given what it knows. A co-worker was just complaining about a similar situation. When you look at it from the credit card issuer's perspective it makes a lot of sense.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by LLM
Wow, this still works? Amazing. This is like the Second Coming of the savings bonds. I haven't done it yet but will definitely start so I can stay gold with HH. Sorry for being rude and not reading the whole thread but how much total dollar value can you buy per person/address?
The best thing would be to back up about 10 pages and read forward, you'll find a lot of current information about the coin program. I don't blame you for not wanting to read the entire thread. Things have changed from the start.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.