Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:13 am

Ok, I decided to try this out. Dipped my toe in with a $500 order to see how this works. Why do I have a feeling I'll be buying max amount for both me and the wife in a few weeks?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by atwnsw2
The teller called me back to ask me for my driver's license number as well as occupation. She said that she needed it for the "higher ups" and that I shouldn't worry since I told her that I was upset. So, I am convinced that a SAR or SARS was filed. In addition, I am involved in extensive family legal matters that do involve an estate tax return....I think that I should either stop completely or follow your advice with smaller deposits and never to a different branch on the same day.
Andy2 is right, you're fine. All they're interested in is money laundering. You're likely never going to hear about it again. Even if you did (again, unlikely), you'd just show your credit card receipt, explain what you did and move on, after everyone had a good laugh.

Mike
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:34 am

Note that splitting deposits between different branches may also trigger a SAR, as multiple deposits that appear to be evading the $10K reporting limit.

However, simply having a SAR report filed doesn't mean anything will result from it.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Andy2
I think you are over-analyzing, but personally I try to stay below $10,000.
If you purposely try to stay below $10,000 to avoid the reporting requirement, then you are structuring, which is a federal crime. I'm not accusing you of doing that, but the way you worded your sentence sounded like that.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by thelark
Ok, I decided to try this out. Dipped my toe in with a $500 order to see how this works. Why do I have a feeling I'll be buying max amount for both me and the wife in a few weeks?
If you buy too little they ship via USPS and then there is a risk of it going missing without a means to track the shipment online. I would buy at least $1500.00 worth.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:09 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by chimmy826
If you purposely try to stay below $10,000 to avoid the reporting requirement, then you are structuring, which is a federal crime. I'm not accusing you of doing that, but the way you worded your sentence sounded like that.
I hear you, and it is a worry. I only buy $5,000 at a time, deposit it, and then buy another $5,000. Or at least that is what I try to do. Sometimes the delays in shipping can play havoc and I will have one order in process while another is on hold, but I never have more than $5,000 in my possession at one time.

How does everyone else deal with structuring worries, or do they? There is a legitimate business reason to buy less than $10,000 at a time and break up the deposits among various banks. More than 2 fifty pound boxes are too difficult to transport when they arrive, and the banks are less likely to terminate your account if the deposits are $1,000 or less. I have had two banks specifically ask me to limit my deposits to $1,000 or less per week (Chase and PNC).

I also happen to use a different credit card for each $5,000 purchase, because I am trying to accumulate miles/points in different programs and minimize the risk of a devastating loss if an airline or hotel program files Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

Last edited by Andy2; Aug 26, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by mrpickles
If you buy too little they ship via USPS and then there is a risk of it going missing without a means to track the shipment online. I would buy at least $1500.00 worth.
They've never not shipped UPS Next Day Air to me despite quantity. As little as $500. Yesterday's $750 shipment came UPS as well.

Exclamation Structuring

Originally Posted by chimmy826
Good point. Here is a refresher course in structuring for the newbies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structuring
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Andy2
I hear you, and it is a worry. I only buy $5,000 at a time, deposit it, and then buy another $5,000. Or at least that is what I try to do. Sometimes the delays in shipping can play havoc and I will have one order in process while another is on hold, but I never have more than $5,000 in my possession at one time.

How does everyone else deal with structuring worries, or do they? There is a legitimate business reason to buy less than $10,000 at a time and break up the deposits among various banks. More than 2 fifty pound boxes are too difficult to transport when they arrive, and the banks are less likely to terminate your account if the deposits are $1,000 or less. I have had two banks specifically ask me to limit my deposits to $1,000 or less per week (Chase and PNC).
They only mean $1k or less of coin, they want all of your other money!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
They've never not shipped UPS Next Day Air to me despite quantity. As little as $500. Yesterday's $750 shipment came UPS as well.
Ah well, I had canceled and placed a new order for $1500 after mrpickles post - I'd rather be safe. Thanks for the tip ^
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:26 pm

Last edited by atwnsw2; Aug 26, 2009 at 4:42 pm
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:27 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by mrpickles
They only mean $1k or less of coin, they want all of your other money!
Yes, good distinction.

We really need a designated decoy in this program. The lady at Chase actually likes me because a parking lot owner always wants $1,000 of dollar coins per week for his operations. Some of us should go to various banks at which we don't deposit and request dollar coins.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by mikeef
i couldn't stop laughing for at least a half hour after i saw this photo!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:47 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
I asked her later if it was a CTR and she said "yes". Am I okay?

If you think I am okay to continue this game, please confirm that my strategy is right:
$7,500 to different bank each day. Is there anything wrong with this approach?

Until now, I was doing this quantity at multiple branches of the same bank...My mistake.

If you have over $10,000 in your possession at one time and purposely deposit less than $10,000 at different banks over a short period of time, I don't think anyone can assure you that no structuring worries occur. Also, a single $7,500 deposit is awfully close to $10,000 and if multiple $7,500 deposits go into your account, the likelihood of a SAR increases.

Why do you need to have more than $10,000 in your possession at once?

In my opinion, the risks, however small, are minimized by never possessing more than $10,000 at once and never having the certainty that all open and approved orders exceed $10,000.

Personally, I try to receive $5,000 at a time, deposit $1,000 into five different banks, then order another batch. There is no certainty that each order will be approved or that this program will continue to be in existence at the time I place each order.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thelark
Ah well, I had canceled and placed a new order for $1500 after mrpickles post - I'd rather be safe. Thanks for the tip ^
I had a $500 order shipped UPS. I only wanted $500 to go to a particular Chase card so I could redeem the next level of cash rebate. After that is done, that Chase card goes to sock drawer.

Starting a few months ago, any orders above $300 are shipped UPS signature required unless you are in a very rural area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.