Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2009, 6:59 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
Based on our recent experiences if you had ordered last night you probably would've gotten it before your vacation.

In your case though, if you order today, Murphy's Law means they will arrive on 9/4
My experience is the same. The first day I leave for a trip, I ALWAYS get coins. It's been especially "bad" this week.

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Are your front wheels on the ground?
I'm about to test this out on Monday when I get home and have about 500 lbs to deposit (depending how much they decide to ship tonight & this weekend)

Originally Posted by Clincher
I just got my dad involved today - I sent him a box of coins unexplained (told my mom a UPS was going to make a delivery) He called me after they were delivered this morning and it was great trying to get him to guess what the heck this was all about.

He is all on board. I am thinking of setting him up with a cc that will give him the best gain - any suggestions? Or, he even said he would make the deposit at his bank and send me a check - this could be too easy and I don't want to take advantage of my retired father!
I'd say the Schwab 2% cashback unless he wants points for a specific program.

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
$373k = 7,460 lb in 1 month

If I were the UPS driver, I would shoot your ...!
My UPS driver actually said that he doesn't mind... we always have a hand cart ready for the orders and he said he's sure that I'm keeping people employed somewhere in the organization from my heavy overnight shipments.

Originally Posted by LLM
so I had to hit eight others that day
I like how we all say "hit" when referring to stopping at a bank! My wife HATES when I use this term.

Originally Posted by lili
I was at the supermarket pushing my cart past the Wells Fargo "bank" counter and thinking how handy grocery carts are.

So, has anybody deposited coins in one of these mini-banks?
I opened up an account in a branch for the sole reason of using shopping carts (Wallys, Sams & grocery stores) to transport my coins into the "bank."
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:26 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, DL Silver, US Silver, CO Silver, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Pardon me for not reading all 263 pages of this thread; however, can you make multiple orders of 2 boxes of each coin type?

Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHLDave
Pardon me for not reading all 263 pages of this thread; however, can you make multiple orders of 2 boxes of each coin type?

Thanks
No.

There is a STICKY on the top of this forum devoted to US Mint. Should help you understand most of the mechanism.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta, Wyndham Rewards, Continental, Starwood.
Got my 12K yesterday

Citibank here I come....
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by buschoi
This is a prime example of the golden goose being slowly slaughtered!
Get in while the getting is good!

And there is the unwritten/informal consent in the FT community that we don't brag about how much in total we have churned.
I wasn't bragging, I was sharing how good this deal cam be. LLM and mrpickles have done the same.
A lot of people come here to see if this is legit and how well it can work. We're just sharing that it can work very well if you're willing to work at it.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by atwnsw2
$373k = 7,460 lb in 1 month

If I were the UPS driver, I would shoot your ...!
I bought him a gift card for his troubles.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Well, if chtrich deposited 17K today and it will take 6 days at this rate to clear his current stack, 17 x 6 = 102K for 7 days - he has not made a typo on the 373K...

Though I honestly dont know how people can manage to get their banks take in so many coins, not to mention the weight of these "cargo"...
Good math. I'm trying to get them deposited as fast as I can!

My CU was really freindly at first, then started charging some fees, then said no more.
I was taking 10 boxes a day for a week. I bought a small foldable dolley that could hold 3 boxes per trip so it wasn't that bad.

I was really starting to think this would be the end of it though as I read more people having troubles at banks. But my journey to Key Bank today has boosted my spirits again.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by aaron1262
Also that's a lot of CTR reports too.
Yep, it was a daily occurance. They actually gave me a CTR to copy so I could bring it in pre-filled to save time.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by LLM
You have to ask? US Bank is the bomb! They even gave me $75 to open an account with coins.
I was thinking about trying my US Bank in the grocery store as I already have an account with them (got $75 as well), but was wondering if the small type location would have a problem with the coins. Are you really taking large deposits to a US Bank in a grocery store?

BTW, open a Key Bank account and they give you a free Garmin GPS unit.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:13 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chtrich
I was thinking about trying my US Bank in the grocery store as I already have an account with them (got $75 as well), but was wondering if the small type location would have a problem with the coins. Are you really taking large deposits to a US Bank in a grocery store?
Not l-a-r-g-e. They took $5K that I charged on the FlexPerks card for the bonuses. Another $5K here and there in my checking account. Tuesday they said my coins were all still in their vault because no one had sent them out and they'd phone when they got rid of them. There's another one close by where I can unload $2-3K from time to time.

BTW, open a Key Bank account and they give you a free Garmin GPS unit.
Fortunately I already have one because we don't have Key Banks here. I need to find a new "partner" though, or cut back substantially. If all else fails, Pacific Trust Bank lets anyone use their coin machine and hands over cash.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:42 am

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Yep, it was a daily occurance. They actually gave me a CTR to copy so I could bring it in pre-filled to save time.
Chase/WaMu files them electronically when posting the deposits.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by LLM
You have to ask? US Bank is the bomb! They even gave me $75 to open an account with coins.
PNC gave me $75 as well to open a new account which I funded with coins =)
Old Aug 28, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Wow, and I felt bad depositing 3K.

Mike
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: AA/Delta/Hilton
If you order the max, 99 boxes, are they all delivered at the same time? Or should one expect several shipments? Yes, I think about the poor UPS delivery guy.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by gejone
Although every one of the criminals involved was convicted of money laundering, the main issue was the source of the money they laundered: Drugs, theft, prostitution, immigration fraud, mortgage fraud, insurance fraud, violation of exports to Iran, etc. I don't think anyone is going to have an issue with CTR's until the government decides to declare buying coins from the Mint is a crime and that's not going to happen.
I never said they would. That wasn't the basis for me posting the articles. Money laundering is the "cleansing" of "dirty" illegally obtained money. This game is not money laundering. Though others were trying to argue that SARs or CTRs don't lead to any real money laundering investigations/convictions. And I very much disagreed. As I have been one to assist in such investigations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.