Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2009, 8:53 am

My credit union has a free counting machine, though only $100 at a time before a 5% fee kicks in. So, it's lots of $100 visits to the credit union to get the coins deposited.

From what I've read, it looks like the shipping & delivery process seems to work, and depositing the coins at the bank is possible if you follow the rules to avoid fees.

Anybody have any problems with getting the miles credited correctly? My last credit card bill had a warning statement about various cash-equivalent transactions that will count as cash advances, such as buying travelers checks and gambling chips, and I'm still waiting to see that my coins purchase will go through as planned.
Old May 15, 2009, 9:45 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Consumer panels by the US Mint?

Has anyone else been called on to participate in "consumer panels" yet? Someone left a voice msg for my wife last week and sounded legit, mentioned $75 compensation. Last night they called for me for this offer: participate in an up to 2 hour panel with other US Mint customers (light dinner included) for $75. Unfortunately, the location is 30 miles away and the starting time was 6 pm on a Tuesday night. The person sounded legit but not as legit as the first one on the voice mail. I am beginning to think that this may be a scam now...They somehow got lists of us buying $1 coins and they invite us to a meeting where they plan to do the hard sell on their GOLD dollar coins They probably think that we are the kind of people who prefer to have guns in our closets, cash under our mattresses and preparing for Armageddon...therefore, we should be perfect customers for buying gold If they only knew that we equate miles with gold

Anyone with experiences about this please let us know. If it was in my city I would probably go for the heck of it.
Old May 15, 2009, 11:30 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I recently took $4500 to my bank, and before I brought them in I asked if they would be able to accept a large deposit in coins, as I understood it could present problems for them. They said, "No problem at all, bring them in." I had a few boxes open, but most of the coins were still in the unopened boxes. They just counted the rolls and boxes and accepted the deposit. The teller (and her neighbor, who was watching with interest, asked what was up, and I told them, "The U.S. Mint sells them at face value with free shipping, so I just got several thousand frequent flyer miles on my credit card." (I didn't bother explaining the part about meeting the Amex spending threshold for status miles - I figured that would be too complex).

Their response? "That's brilliant!"
Old May 15, 2009, 1:17 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat Ambassador
Bank Sign: "$1 Native American Coins Available"

Looks like my recent trips to my bank are leading them to do some serious advertising. I've deposited several thousand dollars in NA coins in the past week. Today I stopped by to make another deposit and as I entered I saw signs plastered everywhere: "$1 Native American Coins Now Available!!" I asked the teller if they had a huge demand for the coins and she looked at me and said "were you the one that brought in all those coins?"

I guess not...oh well...maybe folks will want the coins?
Old May 15, 2009, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mr. Bean

it felt like something the real Mr. Bean would have done
Old May 16, 2009, 12:34 am

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
saw this article about sale of rolls of penny's. - hundredth anniversary of the Lincoln cent -- the longest-standing coin ever made by the U.S. government. people actually waited in line for this. !!!

For Anniversary Collectors, Penny Fandom Is in Mint Condition

Quote i found interesting
"After collecting some 120 rolls in his sagging backpack, he dashed to the post office to have each roll time-stamped for proof of purchase."

reminded of my own sagging backpack full of $1 coins but taking it to the bank.
wonder if you were able to purchase a roll (50cents) with a credit card and take it to the bank rack up 1/2 a frequent flier mile.
Old May 16, 2009, 8:22 am

Fastest yet ?

Ordered Native Americans Thursday 14th May, got shipping notice Saturday 16th - 2 days !. I've got used to it being up to 2 months.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:02 am
ecq

Originally Posted by blankeeta
Looks like my recent trips to my bank are leading them to do some serious advertising. I've deposited several thousand dollars in NA coins in the past week. Today I stopped by to make another deposit and as I entered I saw signs plastered everywhere: "$1 Native American Coins Now Available!!" I asked the teller if they had a huge demand for the coins and she looked at me and said "were you the one that brought in all those coins?"

I guess not...oh well...maybe folks will want the coins?
I find it odd that they'd advertise for $1 coins. Would think Brinks would pick it up? Wamu has taken my coins and hasn't complained. I explained to the teller, I seem to get the same one every time, what I was doing and she thought it was cool. But she also said that it's money and we can't deny it. So that's why I feel comfortable bringing in $500 each time. She even told me to bring $1,000 and I did, though super heavy. She told me that customers ask for them.
Originally Posted by gpapadop
Has anyone else been called on to participate in "consumer panels" yet? Someone left a voice msg for my wife last week and sounded legit, mentioned $75 compensation. Last night they called for me for this offer: participate in an up to 2 hour panel with other US Mint customers (light dinner included) for $75. Unfortunately, the location is 30 miles away and the starting time was 6 pm on a Tuesday night. The person sounded legit but not as legit as the first one on the voice mail. I am beginning to think that this may be a scam now...They somehow got lists of us buying $1 coins and they invite us to a meeting where they plan to do the hard sell on their GOLD dollar coins They probably think that we are the kind of people who prefer to have guns in our closets, cash under our mattresses and preparing for Armageddon...therefore, we should be perfect customers for buying gold If they only knew that we equate miles with gold

Anyone with experiences about this please let us know. If it was in my city I would probably go for the heck of it.
I have never received a phone call. Not sure if this is real. A little odd for the Mint to call for a survey. I agree with the bolded statement
Originally Posted by Euroflyer
My credit union has a free counting machine, though only $100 at a time before a 5% fee kicks in. So, it's lots of $100 visits to the credit union to get the coins deposited.

Anybody have any problems with getting the miles credited correctly? My last credit card bill had a warning statement about various cash-equivalent transactions that will count as cash advances, such as buying travelers checks and gambling chips, and I'm still waiting to see that my coins purchase will go through as planned.
have the credit union recognized you yet?

i have the chase continental mc and miles are posting. made the milestone too but it seems amex cardholders are having problems.
Originally Posted by asandrs
Ordered Native Americans Thursday 14th May, got shipping notice Saturday 16th - 2 days !. I've got used to it being up to 2 months.
mine has taken a month each time. my first order only took a week for 10 NA's. that was surprising.
Old May 16, 2009, 11:09 am
ecq

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket

"What kind of coins are they?" he asks her.
"They're $1 coins."
"Well how much is it?" he says.
"$5-thousand dollars worth. But we dont have room."
"What do you mean you don't have room? What about store 1?"
"That's nearly full." The cashier replies.
"What about stores 2 and 3? There must be some room. FIND room!"

Marvellous to hear this.

So... 4.55pm I walk over to the counter... i had not finished writing the account number on nearly half of the rolls at this point.

"Right," she says, "put rubber bands round every 4 rolls and we'll see how far we get."

In the end the entire $5k was deposited.

The cashier was smiling by the end of it saying that she thought I was bringing in nickels, quarters and pennies and that was why she was so "difficult".
i like this part of the conversation. I would email cs and write how difficult the teller was and how good the manager was.

good thing about the labels ^ bad about forgetting at home
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Can a bank legally refuse coins? I last deposited 5K and the cashier said the manager would soon send me a letter stating the max I can deposit in the future which I have not received.
i don't think they can. the wamu i've been to has told me that they can't. the teller said it's money and they can't deny. she's senior teller, so i figure she knows what's she's talking about. don't ask what senior teller consists of but senior is good enough for me. ^
Originally Posted by Schutzee
I deposited $1,000 at my local TD Bank today. The manager approached me and asked where I was getting all the coins ( I have deposited $10,000 over the past six months). I told him "from a client" . He explained that they have to break open all the rolls and ship the coins back to the Fed. If I want to depost any more, I must put them is a locked bag that they will provide that will be sent to the fed and counted. I guess I be hitting multiple banks and branches in the future. With all the various prmotions, I have accounts at Citi and Chase also.
the td bank near the subway station gave me problems. I emailed td bank and told them and the manager called to explain to me why they were the way they were. i would've closed my account but the td near my house have always been nice to me. from which i've emailed td to tell them of the great service they've given me. i don't only complain
Old May 18, 2009, 4:16 pm

Programs: hyatt gold, SPG gold, onepass fanatic
This is the greatest thing since sliced bread!
Old May 18, 2009, 8:34 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I think my run has come to an end! Every order is now canceled, no matter what credit card I use. I have a trick or two up my sleeve, so I think I might be able to get a few more for myself and my wife, though
Old May 19, 2009, 9:11 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I placed an order for 20 boxes (my first order) a week ago last Saturday and have received no updates or charges to my CC.
Old May 19, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Call UPS?

I ordered 5K on May 1. I see that my coins are "in stock and reserved." But we're going away for a few days. I'm afraid the coins will be delivered while I'm gone. Anybody had any success calling UPS and asking them to 'hold' a delivery?
I don't want to cancel the order and lose my place in line.
Old May 19, 2009, 3:56 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by thebat
I ordered 5K on May 1. I see that my coins are "in stock and reserved." But we're going away for a few days. I'm afraid the coins will be delivered while I'm gone. Anybody had any success calling UPS and asking them to 'hold' a delivery?
I don't want to cancel the order and lose my place in line.
you can't do it till after the first delivery attempt. since they require signatures they will leave you a slip saying that they'll come back tomorrow... but you can then call and they will hold it at the nearest service center from your location for 5 business days. this only works if your delivery guy attempts to get a signature....which they should
Old May 19, 2009, 4:46 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by aaron1262
you can't do it till after the first delivery attempt. since they require signatures they will leave you a slip saying that they'll come back tomorrow... but you can then call and they will hold it at the nearest service center from your location for 5 business days. this only works if your delivery guy attempts to get a signature....which they should

Thanks, that should work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.