Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2009, 11:12 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat Ambassador
I have been placing orders only with one or two boxes for several reasons:
1. fear that lack of one kind of coin in stock would hold back my entire order
2. Risk of loss of hundreds of dollars if one order goes "missing"
3. Ability to track individual boxes

I just hate the idea that hundreds of dollars will be dropped off at my doorstep, so I am trying to manage that as tightly as possible without incurring any special shipping charges.
Old May 9, 2009, 12:14 pm

oops nevermind
Old May 9, 2009, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
I don't know at what level this policy kicks in, but on the larger orders they require a signature and won't just drop off. I did leave my UPS man a note one time and he left them, but it was only going to be for a short time. All of my recent orders have come Next Day Air, delivery by 10:30 am.
Old May 9, 2009, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's amazing how, with all of the Next Day Air shipping going on, UPS is the big winner here - bigger than any of us.

46 pounds per box, Next Day Air, with insurance (I hope) should cost them something like $100 per box. UPS's site shows the rack rate at $216.15 to my zip with signature/insurance/Next Day Air. So $100/box is my guess with the discounts.
Old May 9, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
It's amazing how, with all of the Next Day Air shipping going on, UPS is the big winner here - bigger than any of us.

46 pounds per box, Next Day Air, with insurance (I hope) should cost them something like $100 per box. UPS's site shows the rack rate at $216.15 to my zip with signature/insurance/Next Day Air. So $100/box is my guess with the discounts.

More than likely this is contract based shipping program, it's a rate you would never see and probably doesn't exceed $5-10 per box. Most of their sales are a lot smaller so the 46 lb. ones are minimal in their program.
Old May 9, 2009, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deant
...order.[/B]

I think this states very clearly that Citi does not accept cash - or at least is not responsible if it is not posted correctly.

Well... maybe Citi will mistaken it as bailout money and take it.
Old May 10, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: AA, USAir
Gimme a break - Chuck E Cheese's ??

Yesterday, I went to my local branch (small local bank) to make a small deposit, 200 coins, which I busted open the wrappers and put into a zip lock bag (nice shiny baggy). My plan was to run it through the coin machine.

Low and behold, they told me that the machine quit taking $1 coins due to abuse - that people were dropping in Chuck E Cheese coins and they were counting them as dollars !!! And on top of that, they just started charging a 10% fee (even if you banked with them. If not it was 20% now)

Hence, the teller and I counted all of the coins from my baggie and stuck them in paper tubes to make them $25 rolls - in this case, I should never have busted the rolls open Next time I will just take the rolls as is (I don't plan on taking box loads like some have mentioned).

But after coming out of the bank, it just made me wonder about those Chuck E Cheese coins - how similar are they to the $ coins? Not that I would want to scam the bank, or any other coin counters for that matter, but anyone know How much can you buy those coins for
Old May 10, 2009, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by jimbaum
. . . Not that I would want to scam the bank, or any other coin counters for that matter, but anyone know How much can you buy those coins for
Don't even think about it. Sliping them in a roll would be chargeable as passing counterfeits. Leavenworth isn't that nice this time of year.
Old May 10, 2009, 9:20 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
It does not say on Chuck's website, but if you get the Family Saver, you get a big pizza, 4 drinks and 100 tokens. There is a profit in there somewhere. I wonder if Coinstar takes them?!!
JudyJFLA
Old May 10, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat Ambassador
I am guessing that the way this discussion is going isn't really appropriate for this thread. Maybe it should be moved to the "how to go to jail" thread?
Old May 10, 2009, 3:34 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
anyone getting automated calls from UPS reminding you that your packages are on the way? I started getting them on all my coin packages as of last week. ^ for ups customer service. wish i could say the same with the US treasury/mint
Old May 10, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Yes I received one last week and the UPS guy was at my door a few hours later...Very nice indeed.
Old May 10, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by josephstern
So any chance this would work?

I order another $7K in coins, free shipping.

For the shipping address, I put the address where I send my check to my credit card company, with another line in there with my account number.
you might have better luck just shipping your coins straight to your local bank. Address it to your favorite teller or the teller who knows you well because of your recent runs because of the coins.
Old May 11, 2009, 8:26 pm

Missing coins, will they refund?

I received my $5,000 Native American coins order. After opening up all 20 individual boxes, i found out that one box was damaged and was missing 2 rolls! That is $50 in coins. I called to U.S. Mint immediately. They told me to ship back the single box with remaining $200 in it and that they will refund the full $250 worth back.

Questions:

1) Has this happened to anyone?
2) Did they get a refund?
3) Did it go back to the CC or it was sent as a check?
4) How long did it take?
5) Should I start an "investigation" with AMEX, so that $250 is not required to be paid?

I was shocked, the customer service lady did not seemed fazed on the phone, sounded like she heard that before. I just want to make sure I get my refund prior to when my CC is due. I am debating if I should start an investigation with AMEX so I don't have to worry about paying that $250, as my bill is due in about 2 weeks.

I never had problems before, I ordered a few times before, this is a first one for me.

Any suggestions?

Than you.
Old May 12, 2009, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I ordered 20 boxes over the weekend and hope it goes better than my first smaller purchase. For that one, I had to wait about six weeks and I really got nervous that the boxes had just been dropped at my place of business over the weekend (when we're closed) and had been boosted.

My bank has one of those automated coin counting machines available to the customers for free and I'm of the belief that they take dollar coins...we'll see.

If it all works out I just need to figure out how to keep repeating this with different addresses or cards.

Do they deliver to a P.O. box? I have one but wasn't sure so I didn't use it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.