Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2009, 5:58 pm

got points

statement closed
04/13/09
purchased
04/03/09 & 04/08/09

got all points

[QUOTE=aaron1262;11626486]
Originally Posted by thehawk75
however, we need to hear from someone who had the purchase post after April 2nd, and who's statement has closed. So, when your statement closes, please do report back if no one has done so already.
[\QUOTE]

my statement closed on the 16th. actually it was my very first statement since i got the spg card.
my all orders got credited normally not as Cash Advances.
Checked my account just now..another 250 charged normally.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by yyyccclll
statement closed
04/13/09
purchased
04/03/09 & 04/08/09

got all points

Well... mystery solved, results as expected.

Thanks for confirmation.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 7:22 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HH Gold, AA,DL,CO,NW,UA
Smile NA $1 coins

Ordered 4 boxes of NA on 02/10/2009. It was shipped on 03/06/2009 arriving on 03/09/2009. About 1 month from order to completion. AMEX Points posted.

I've been using them at the barber shop & parking lots that don't take credit cards. I don't know why but my barber loves them! haha!

mahalo & aloha, john
Old Apr 22, 2009, 9:35 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
has anyone noticed that for the NA coins they changed the "rules" to 5000 per coin issue. I swear before it said per order.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by aaron1262
has anyone noticed that for the NA coins they changed the "rules" to 5000 per coin issue. I swear before it said per order.
I have to disagree with you.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I just deposited 3,750 worth of coins at my local Citibank and they finally snapped (almost). the manager was not in and so they told me that I would soon get a letter stating that there would be a limit of how many coins I could bring in. they feel they are spending money shipping it back to the Feds.
Please give us an update on what's happening. Have you received a letter from the bank? Have you become more discreet, such as depositing less coins at a time?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I just deposited 3,750 worth of coins at my local Citibank and they finally snapped (almost). the manager was not in and so they told me that I would soon get a letter stating that there would be a limit of how many coins I could bring in. they feel they are spending money shipping it back to the Feds.
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
Please give us an update on what's happening. Have you received a letter from the bank? Have you become more discreet, such as depositing less coins at a time?
Remind them of US Code TITLE 31-SUBTITLE IV-CHAPTER 51- SUBCHAPTER II- § 5112 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...2----000-.html) section titled - Removal of Barriers to Circulation of $1 Coin - at least as long as they are accepting taxpayer $$ - they may be obliged to accept $1 coins

OT - I went to the USPS yesterday to buy a couple of money orders I needed - and the csr refused to accept coins when USPS site specifically states "Money orders must be paid for in one of these ways:a. In U.S. currency and coins (in any amount). "

I filed a complaint with USPS and they are now looking into the refusal....I am waiting to see what comes out of this....
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by compuser1973
Remind them of US Code TITLE 31-SUBTITLE IV-CHAPTER 51- SUBCHAPTER II- § 5112 (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/ht...2----000-.html) section titled - Removal of Barriers to Circulation of $1 Coin - at least as long as they are accepting taxpayer $$ - they may be obliged to accept $1 coins
Banks still aren't government entities, nor are they transit systems, so I don't think that law applies.
There are probably other laws that apply regarding accepting deposits. I believe the bank could charge a fee for coin deposits, but I don't know that they could refuse them.

OT - I went to the USPS yesterday to buy a couple of money orders I needed - and the csr refused to accept coins when USPS site specifically states "Money orders must be paid for in one of these ways:a. In U.S. currency and coins (in any amount). "
Now that's almost definitely a violation of the law you cite above.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by soitgoes
Banks still aren't government entities, nor are they transit systems, so I don't think that law applies.
There are probably other laws that apply regarding accepting deposits. I believe the bank could charge a fee for coin deposits, but I don't know that they could refuse them.
You are right...let's just wait till Feds take over controlling stake in Citi
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:16 am
ecq

I filed a complaint with USPS and they are now looking into the refusal....I am waiting to see what comes out of this....
imagine if you gave pennies........
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ecq
imagine if you gave pennies........
I would want to try to get a money order for just a couple of dollars in pennies just for fun
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:08 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
TITLE 31 > SUBTITLE IV > CHAPTER 51 > SUBCHAPTER I > § 5103Prev | Next § 5103. Legal tender

United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues. Foreign gold or silver coins are not legal tender for debts.

The banks have to take the coins for deposit. They may be free to set a service fee for coin deposits, most of them seem to have a laundry list of fees and I don't know if that is regulated.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:07 pm
ecq

I would want to try to get a money order for just a couple of dollars in pennies just for fun
tell us how it goes if you decide to. usps makes up their own rules.

sorry for OT!
Old Apr 23, 2009, 9:41 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
i asked my teller whether there's a limit on the amuont coins in one month/day etc. and she said there wasnt so let the churning begin! though i think the lady is already getting annoyed. twice in one week but everytime she's the only teller available. I do however take out 1 or 2 rolls out of each box to spend..so im actually circulating them and depositing. good for both worlds
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Just received 4 rolls of Presidents that were ordered on 4/1, via UPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.