Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Originally Posted by Dole
I already received $2,000 at my home and my credit card was billed. Everything fine.

Then, I changed my credit card billing address to my office and ordered another $2,000, on the same card, with a delivery address of my office......and they canceled my order! Frustrating!
bummer...buts thanks for posting your experience ^

i had considered doing this once my initial order is delivered.

so far I ordered twice, $2000 the first day and $1,000 the first day the new prezzies came out.

to date, only $500 in Monroes have shown up

Last edited by bk3day; Aug 27, 2008 at 4:55 pm Reason: correct amount
Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:13 pm
GSR

Programs: AA 2MM
Originally Posted by mrx900
my order status says ON HOLD...

what does this mean? Do I have to call them to confirm shipping address (billing and shipping address do NOT match).
They always say "on hold" until they ship. Don't worry.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
Marathon Man, are you redepositing the coins from each of your orders? Are you getting strange looks from bank tellers?
I get strange looks from tellers anyway--I mean if you run in to a bank in sweaty gym clothes carrying these things...

no they dont mind.
i even explained the gig to one who kinda figured it out
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
i even explained the gig to one who kinda figured it out

Isn't the official term Kiting? (Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking it - in fact I'm all for any activity that wreaks havoc with the establishment ^)
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Like a couple of other posters in the thread, my best use of the coins is my biweekly purchase of lotto tickets. In addition, I am using them to purchase lunch at my university cafeteria. I enjoy seeing the responses from cashiers.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by GSR
They always say "on hold" until they ship. Don't worry.
I had to call them to get them to change the HOLD order to IN PROGRESS. Stupid govt workers...
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Isn't the official term Kiting? (Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking it - in fact I'm all for any activity that wreaks havoc with the establishment ^)
I was under the impression that kiting involved using the "float" to your advantage. In this case, the float isn't what we're after. It's the miles! (and a way to get miles for the times we pay cash)
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:48 am
Suspended

1- the last of my order coins # 6 & 7 have shipped, now to find another address to use

2- I suggest placing your orders for 2 boxes per coin per order. The JQAdams came in 2 small boxes, Im out of the Country and was told that they shipped #s2&3 in 1 box and was very hard for the person to handle who yook them in for me. So for now on I will make it a 1 coin per order. Cant help to see what would have been had I made coinds #2-5 in 1 order and not the 2 that I did.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond, IC Ambassador, SPG Gold
My order (which was placed on 8/12) was waiting on my doorstep yesterday (8/26). A bank visit is in order soon for most of the coins, although I'll keep a few rolls and plan to pay for my morning coffee with them for the next month or so.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 4:52 am
Suspended

No one on FT can control what is said on Fat Wallet or Slick Deals

What I dont understand is why must everyone post that they got their coins and are heading straight over to their bank!???

I highly doubt that that is what the Mint wanted. If you want to do that Just do it without telling the World. If this thread is read by someone at The Mint you can rest assured that it no longer will be left as is.

the choice is yours, but if anyone still wants to Brag about heading over and dumping them right into their bank acct, you just might be making the last such deposit under said deal.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 5:15 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by craz
the choice is yours, but if anyone still wants to Brag about heading over and dumping them right into their bank acct, you just might be making the last such deposit under said deal.
I'm not participating in this scheme, but one might assume that the banks would actually distribute the coins to other bank patrons, rather than simply sending the boxes of coins straight back to the federal reserve. It's not necessarily an outrageous thought that depositing the coins in the bank would still be "putting them in circulation," and potentially in a more wide-reaching fashion since the bank can distribute those coins faster than someone might (reasonably) spend them.

Whether or not that's true is a different story, but it's not an unreasonable thought.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by craz
No one on FT can control what is said on Fat Wallet or Slick Deals

What I dont understand is why must everyone post that they got their coins and are heading straight over to their bank!???

I highly doubt that that is what the Mint wanted. If you want to do that Just do it without telling the World. If this thread is read by someone at The Mint you can rest assured that it no longer will be left as is.

Well said! I like the offer, because I enjoy putting dollar coins into circulation. I also enjoy getting points/miles from the purchase, but the mint is making these coins available without a shipping fee to encourage those who get them to put them into circulation. They can't control what anyone does once they get them, but they can control whether or not this offer will continue to be available.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
While the majority of my coinage activity is merely for churning for miles, I will argue that these coins ARE getting into circulation just the same. They are not dying once they do for me what I wanted them for. And they ARE getting used--a bank is just as valid a place to put them as any other place that takes cash, which is just as good as money

Plus, I used $100 to pay a non CC payment of something the other day, paid the neighborhood kids cash to paint my yard fence, and I am going to use $250 of them in Martha's Vinyard for a week at the beach starting now!

BYE til Sept 4!
MM
Old Aug 27, 2008, 6:46 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA 2P, Hertz Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by mrx900
I had to call them to get them to change the HOLD order to IN PROGRESS. Stupid govt workers...

UNBELIEVABLE! I have to admit, I was a little skeptical after reading your post, but my order has been on hold for 13 days now so I called in to see what's up with my order. They verified the last 4 of my CC and expiry, and lifted the hold, shipping out in the next 24-48 hours.

Just an FYI for anyone else in the same situation.

Now we'll see how well they actually execute the order........
Old Aug 27, 2008, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cepheid
I'm not participating in this scheme, but one might assume that the banks would actually distribute the coins to other bank patrons, rather than simply sending the boxes of coins straight back to the federal reserve. It's not necessarily an outrageous thought that depositing the coins in the bank would still be "putting them in circulation," and potentially in a more wide-reaching fashion since the bank can distribute those coins faster than someone might (reasonably) spend them.

Whether or not that's true is a different story, but it's not an unreasonable thought.
I wasnt trying to make or tell people Not to deposit them into their bank acct.

Only if that is what a person wants to do, Fine, just they shouldnt Shout it out by posting that is what they are doing.

the mint on their own can DUMP them by all the banks, that doesnt mean they will be changing hands. the Mint was hoping that the public would use them in everyday transactions so as to get us use to them , thusly it will take the Dollar bill out of the system

To me it makes no difference if someone takes $3000 and deposits it immediately into their acct. Only PLEASE dont post thats what you are doing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.