Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus (Premier Exec)
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Now, my wife has a $2,500 test being processed on our address with "Apt 1" and a new $500 test on an Amex with our address + "#1" and we hope to get em all plus my pending orders too!
Marathon, please post after you find out if the "Apt 1" thing worked. If it does, I'm sure the tenants in your Apt 2 and Apt 3 will suddenly have an interest in these coins!

After over a week my coins have finally shipped! An order for my home and an order for my office.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:43 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
I did a little research on PO Boxes today. You need to apply for them, which you can do online at usps.com. There were many places that had them in my area, the cheapest being $19.00 for six months. However, if you cancel the box before the three month mark, you get a half refund. There are many sizes, and if they don't have the size you want, you have to get on a waiting list. However, the smallest and cheapest size was available at all the POs in my area without exception (many of the larger and more expensive sizes were not).

I couldn't find anything saying that you couldn't open more than one PO Box, or that you couldn't close one and open a new one later. You do need to show 2 forms of ID to get the keys in the first place, even if you apply online, and you have to sign a form, etc. There's a $1.00 refundable deposit for each key.

If you receive a package too big for your box, they're supposed to hold it for you, but I wouldn't wait too long to pick it up because I'm guessing they'll probably send it back after a few days (just like with regular mail).

This lesson on PO Boxes has been brought to you by kirax2.

-kirax2
P.S. Gosh, I can't wait for my new SPG Amex to get here so I can start trying to reach $15,000 on it. Just got my confirmation call today, so it shouldn't be long now! Hope the mint isn't sold out by the time I receive it, though...
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I got my confirmation of shipping today too. Anyone know how long it takes these babies to come through based on previous experience?
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Fraser
I got my confirmation of shipping today too. Anyone know how long it takes these babies to come through based on previous experience?
in my first order, the day it showed up on my CC was when it came. This time it seems as though it may be the next day, meaning it could come today, but I dunno yet.

As for PO boxes in the post above, I have had one in life. They are relatively easy to deal with and sizable for receiving things such as these coins. Onoce you get to know your PO and its staff regulars, things could get even easier, as they are more aware of who you are and what you receive.

Good luck on all those who try it!
I am still waiting to see if my other methods work as well
Old Aug 20, 2008, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dole
Marathon, please post after you find out if the "Apt 1" thing worked. If it does, I'm sure the tenants in your Apt 2 and Apt 3 will suddenly have an interest in these coins!

After over a week my coins have finally shipped! An order for my home and an order for my office.
I should get into real estate JUST to see if this works! hahaha
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
finally I get my credit!

In true US mint fashion, the "Certificate of Non-Receipt" form they had me fax on August 7 for my original order placed June 13 (yes, June 13!!!) finally was processed and got my credit on my credit card. They realized that someone screwed up with my order and I still have not seen a single dollar coin! This was one of the most unpleasant experiences ever for me and I would NEVER ever order from US Mint again....Instead, I will go out of my way to use dollar bills

It appears I may be the lone exception in this so you guys enjoy the ride and wish you not have the same luck as I did!

Order #: XXXXXXXX - 1 Order Date: 6/13/08

Sold To: xxxxx

Ship To: xxxxxx

Date Returned: 8/19/08

Amount Credited : 500.00-

Tracking ID

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Items included in this return:

1. CIRC.$1 COIN DIRECT SHIP ROLLS-J Q ADAMS (Y01) Qty : 2
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:18 am
Suspended

Me thinks its very Dumb of The Mint not to ship them with Signature Receipt being needed or Registered

after all if the postman simply leaves them by 1s door, (not knowing whats inside) whats to stop a person from Claiming they never got them, either to The Mint or their CC and get a refund. Some have 8 boxes coming at 1 time or more thats $2000-3000

gpapadop, Im not saying you did the above only when I read your post, my mind thought of what someone might do. Im not into that Game just Pts & Miles for me. Playing with The Mint probably means the Feds in 1 way or another and NOT worth it for $2000. if Im gonna rob a Bank I want it to be worthwhile and for $2000 or so its not worthwhile
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
craz:

Your concerns are very valid imho. Dropping off boxes without Signatures is ridiculous and invites abuse. And yes you do not want to mess with the Feds! I just never got the darn things and the whole delays from the original order placement date and the late emails and the shipping tracking numbers that would not work on any company's website...I have no idea what happened! But US Mint informed that they do an investigation and issue the credit when they complete it to its satisfaction. So, I guess I will know when the FBI invades my neighborhood and arrest my neighbor or I see the pic of my US Mail carrier on the local newspaper's first page with lots of US Mint boxes:-)
Old Aug 20, 2008, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by Fraser
It took about four work days after shipping for me to get my order that shipped last month (John Quincy Adams was the only one available then). Once I got the shipping/tracking codes in the E-mail, they arrived the day after DHL got them to the post office.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In reference to the credit card I mentioned above where we used "Apt 1" and my wife's hyphenated last name to place a test order of $2,500, she got an email this AM stating the following. I do not think it means the order is dead (for address likeness reasons) but I am curious if anyone else has run into this or any other 'seemingly-now-out-of-stock'-related issues:

Line Item Cancelled
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:49 AM
To: me wife

Greetings from the United States Mint.
The following item(s) have been cancelled per reason(s)
listed below.

Order # : 2XXXXXXX - 1 Order Date: 8/19/08

Sold To . : [hyphenated last name, wife's first name]

Shipped To: [hyphenated last name, wife's first name]

Qty
Line # Item Cancelled Cancel Reason

4 Y06 2 55 ORDER LIMIT
GEORGE WASHINGTON $250 BOX $1

This is a system generated e-mail. Please do not reply.
If you have questions, please visit the Help page at
http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Qty

4 Y06 2 55 ORDER LIMIT
GEORGE WASHINGTON $250 BOX $1
I would take this to mean that two boxes of G.W. had already been ordered.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by icurhere2
I would take this to mean that two boxes of G.W. had already been ordered.
I thought she'd done that too but I looked again at her order printout and it's also pasted into an earlier post of mine, and the item was only ordered once--2 boxes for $500 as part of the total $2,500 MC order.

I think they ended that coin, meaning there may be others here who have or soon will experience this.

I hope not.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...then again, it COULD be that they are savvy to the "apt 1" thing after all and they just don't have an easier way of saying it. Here's ANOTHER cancelation in her multi-order that speaks to that theory, and if so, we'll expect 3 more of these soon, as this one JUST came in now! :

Line Item Cancelled
Wednesday, August 20, 2008 10:26 AM
To: wife

Greetings from the United States Mint.
The following item(s) have been cancelled per reason(s)
listed below.

Order # : 2XXXXXXX - 1 Order Date: 8/19/08

Sold To . : wife

Shipped To: wife

Qty

1 Y04 2 55 ORDER LIMIT
JAMES MADISON $250 BOX $1 COIN

5 Y05 2 55 ORDER LIMIT
JAMES MONROE $250 BOX $1 COINS

This is a system generated e-mail. Please do not reply.
If you have questions, please visit the Help page at
http://catalog.usmint.gov or call us at 1-800-USA-MINT.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by icurhere2
It took about four work days after shipping for me to get my order that shipped last month (John Quincy Adams was the only one available then). Once I got the shipping/tracking codes in the E-mail, they arrived the day after DHL got them to the post office.
Thanks for the info ^
Old Aug 20, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
All but JQA appear to be in stock. Also, has anyone purchased silver or gold coins from the mint? Does the price reflect a decent value?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.