Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:38 am

Programs: DL GM
Two orders worked, one order completely messed up

So, let me tell a story about one of my orders that got completely messed up. I ordered JQ Adams back on June 22. It was in backorder, and finally shipped on July 18. I had these sent to my work address, as I didn't want $500 sitting on my porch. They went through some address verification, and added a non-existent suite number to my delivery address, causing my shipment to get returned for no such number. (Initially, when I ordered them, it did this address verification, and so I manually changed the address to not include this non-existant suite number.) Anyway, they were shipped back on July 25 by the USPS, and I called weekly to find out if they were received so they could ship them out.

In the mean time, I bought James Monroe and James Madison. Had those shipped to my house, since I had already dealt with this debacle. They left those on my porch, not a big deal, safe neighborhood, etc.

I finally hit the 30 day point when they would take my call for non-receipt of goods, and spoke with a supervisor who said he was going to send out a form for me to fill out. He also said the form was available online, and I could fax it. I did this option. But he still sent the form.

My rant comes from the form delivery to my home...

They ship this Non-Receipt of Goods form via FedEx, and they require an adult signature. (Meaning they won't leave it behind, they won't give it to a neighbor, and they come on 3 consecutive business days, then keep it at the shipping center for 2 days.)

Well, I have a job, so I'm not home during the day. I live in a suburb about 15 miles north of Downtown Detroit. FedEx's "Shipping Center" is in Southwest Detroit. So, it's quite a distance away, as well as through some scenic parts of the city...

So, what's my point? Well, how come the US Mint is ok with leaving $500 on my front porch, but needs an adult signature for a form that is available on their website.

I think I'll take the advice from others, and throw it over to US Bank to dispute it...
Old Aug 29, 2008, 9:45 am

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Since I had to go into Wachovia today for something else..I decided to start with taking in 4 rolls of the coins just to see what the reaction would be. The clerk was overjoyed..she said they get requests from the customers a lot for the coins and Wachovia is not allowed to order them from the mint. I said, well ok...I have more I will (do you the favor of) bringing in for you...I didnt get in on the initial coins and ordered only 250 of Thomas Jefferson coins...now I happily ordered 500 of the last coins available....

Originally Posted by GSR
I deposited 2000 dollar coins at Wachovia this morning. They didn't say much, but it sure took a lot to unbox all of them. What a pain...but worth it for miles!
Old Aug 29, 2008, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Was about to call the Mint, but my order went from "On Hold" to "Your order request is in process."
Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone had his/her order sent to a PO Box? Of course, my address of record for my CC is my home address, so will this cause a problem?

Id there an option for insurance or signature guarantee or Delivery Confirmation or Certified or Registered or anything like that?

Chicago is not known for having the most reliable postal service.

Another way I thought of to get rid of these things: turn them in quarterly toward your tax liability. Can you go to your local IRS office and pay for that in cash?
Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Has anyone had his/her order sent to a PO Box? Of course, my address of record for my CC is my home address, so will this cause a problem?
Most credit card companies allow you to add alternate shipping addresses which will then allow address verification to work with those addresses.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1P DL GM HH PP
Received both orders this week and deposited them to the bank today. The teller had a bit of a problem on the methodology for accepting the coins, eventually counting the number of rolls (100) by the amount in each roll (25). The process helps make up for UA's change in M+ to actual miles instead of a 500 min.
Old Aug 30, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
My two orders were on hold since the get 1st day of each offering. They split that order and out of that first $2000 , so far only 2 boxes were delivered.

I meant to call the Mint but never got around to it.

Today I checked the status of my 2nd order and it looks like the Mint decided to send them "expedited" via FedEx ^
Old Aug 30, 2008, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I live in a place that has no home mail delivery, so snail mail goes to a box at the post office. I ordered my Jeffersons sent to my front door, knowing that a delivery service would be used. Instead, to my surprise, they delivered to my post office. There was no p.o. box number given whatsoever, but luckily my post office knows me so knew where to put 'em. So I'd have to say yes, they can deliver to a post office box, no matter what your address of record is.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 9:48 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
I rec'd $1000 of my coins Friday and yesterday took them to a new Chase bank branch that opened up near me. I walked in w/a huge ziploc bag of the coins and the guy near the front directed me to Business Services since "that's where they deal with coins." I get back there and the girl seems very exasperated because she has to count them all (I left them in the individual rolls). She explained that the newly built Chase branches do not have coin counters - they are apparently too expensive to buy. So she didn't know how she would count them other than manually.

Eventually she just grouped the rolls in bunches of four and rubberbanded them. Easy $800 deposit - I kept $200
for tip money in Vegas!!

She made a comment that it was funny I brought those in because she had just placed an order w/the Mint for these coins, as people have been asking for them!!!

Got $2000 more on the way...
Old Aug 31, 2008, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blase
Eventually she just grouped the rolls in bunches of four and rubberbanded them. Easy $800 deposit - I kept $200
for tip money in Vegas!!
That's a lot of tips in Vegas. I've been using mine in Vegas, local stores, and gas stations that have a "cash discount" (nee "credit card surcharge"). And I don't give the gas stations rolls of coins - they are always loose coins.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Those of you who are using different addresses, are you using different names too? If so, are you able to use the same credit card?

(If you are not comfortable answering this question here, please PM me, as I would like to increase my purchases. I already have a PO Box.)
Old Aug 31, 2008, 12:06 pm

Programs: HH (Dia), Bonvoy (Plat), IHG (Plat)
I used to run credit cards for a shipping company and there is one thing I can tell you: when I was there, we had NO WAY of verifying the name on a credit card. We could verify the zip code of the billing address of the credit card and the three digit security code, but there was no way for us to tell if the name of the person on the credit card matched the name that was given to us. I don't know if this was only true at my company, or if things have changed since I worked there, but I have found that when I purchase things online it doesn't seem to matter if I input my name exactly as it appears on my card or not (i.e. sometimes I just use my initials, or leave out the middle initial, etc.) and I believe it doesn't matter.

I always write "please check I.D." on the back of my card as well as signing it, partly because of my experience at that company.

Hope this helps,
-kirax2
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I placed three orders of 2 boxes each with the same CC. Today I got two emails saying that the order were cancelled, no explanation. I thought that the rule was 2 boxes per order? Or is it two boxes per president per billing address?
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
My Washington and Jackson's are apparently on their way, and one difference I've noticed this time around is that they are now sending this with UPS.
Old Sep 2, 2008, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I placed three orders of 2 boxes each with the same CC. Today I got two emails saying that the order were cancelled, no explanation. I thought that the rule was 2 boxes per order? Or is it two boxes per president per billing address?
The rules say two boxes per President - I think they translate that to mean two boxes per President total.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.