Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2008, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by primusux
Hey, did you have to write your account number on every roll? We called our BofA to ensure they would take them all at once and they said yes but you have to write the acct number on every single roll. I've never seen this at my other banks so wanted to see if it was the guy messing with me....thanks
surely they could ask you but I think yeah, he's messing with you. You could make a sticker with it printed on it from your computer and adhere the stickers to every roll, but hey, it is your bank with your account being deposited into. Once they accept it, it's kind of up to them to credit your account or not. If there's a problem, they will let you know.

Recently, as a complete mistake, I realized 15 dollars Canadian were stuffed into a deposit envelope in an ATM cash deposit I had made. Well, a week later there was a deposit for some strange amount and on my online acct it said "international wire" so they did credit me. Banks will be honest so if your coins were wrong either over or under, generally speaking you should be all set.

Try another bank if the one you visit gives you trouble. Mine only looks at the rolls and keeps the plastic trays because it is easier for other coins they carry.

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Marathon Man:

I'm sure you have mentioned it previously, but do all of your and your wife's credit cards use the same billing address?

I'm thinking a second order using an unique credit card that just happens to be an authorized user on my account, sent to my office rather than my home, should work UNLESS they compare credit card billing addresses. What would you expect in this hypothetical scenario ?
Hmmm, well, sorry for any confusion...

My wife and I have the same billing address on each of our cards but her Mastercard now says "Apt 1" on it and so did any subsequent orders of coinage here. Her AMEX says "#1" on it so that's what her coin orders using that card had as well. She changed the address online in her profile in one card. Turned out the other card already had #1 in it anyway, which I think she did so she could try to track if and when any spam snail mail would ever arrive at her house. If the address looked the same, you'd know that the mailing list was somehow borrowed or bought from that credit card co!

So her billing addresses essentially match mine but they do not too, because they have that extra line item in the address!

I think in ANY card you try, the most important thing is that the billing matches the shipping for this mint thing. Exactly. (of course, Mr, Mrs and Ms may not matter (as I have learned, in fact)and in some cases, the middle initial could be left out but try to at least get the address lines exact!

The second thing I would do is to have different names on different cards. So you could be Joe Shmoe at 1 Paradise lane, and your wife could be Jane Shmoe at 1 Paradise lane, Apt 1, and this should work. If you tried to do two joe shmoes on two dif cards--whereas one was Apt 1 and one was not, it may still work but I have yet to try it and I bet if someone at the mint IS watching, they'd surely catch that pretty quickly. I dunno. That's why wives are good
Old Sep 5, 2008, 5:46 am

I take the whole rolls to my local BofA. Apparently, they have customers who want them. I give them my deposit slip and in they go.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flyer Jon
I take the whole rolls to my local BofA. Apparently, they have customers who want them. I give them my deposit slip and in they go.
yup, we do a service to those banks!

And as mentioned earlier, according to the teller that I go to at my BofA, that is true and it therefore instantly validates all of our ways of cashing these in. Since banks AND customers of those banks want them, we are essentially doing THEM a favor by being the ones to put out the effort of ordering, waiting, wondering, worrying, and bringing the coins to the bank on the backs of our own personal bank accounts. Surely the bank or its officials can also order but maybe there's some other process involved for the banks to buy from the mint and it's much slower or more cumbersome, and so therefore, our efforts to bring them right into the lion's den as it were, makes them feel like the winners! Why, their other customers are getting their collectable, novelty, new coins and all we get is stress and a few airline miles. Not even enough to get a free ticket to anything!

Most people out there think miles are a gag that no long work anyway. You can never earn enough, when you do they have restrictions, they never have seats, you can only get like one ticket with your miles because $25,000 is a lot to spend to get them and they gave up on the game long ago. You have heard of these people... they are your neighbors, your co-workers, your friends. All the ones who think what we do is crazy.

But it's not. Its innovative, crafty, loophole-ridden and beautiful. We know how to run the game. To us, this is one of the greatest things in miledum since the Charter One gift card or the Pudding Guy!

Why do some here think it's somehow wrong? Because they feel GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!

Guilt is rarely ever any good.

Sure, people should act and participate in things in life with some dignity and grace, attempting all along to be somewhat decent or civil to their fellow human being or higher ups, etc, and I'm no saint (but I'm also no devil) but remember the old adage: One man's trash is another man's treasure:

We bring these gold coins that we snagged for free miles as if we were crafty pirates of a bygone age who found a way to smuggle rum, and to the rest of the banking customers, we are suckers who blissfully deliver the things THEY need in their worlds! Neither can understand the others' needs, but those needs exist!

This is why I feel this scheme is a perfect one. Except for the wait and the strange delivery tactics that could get you stuck with big money on the line, this is one of those near-perfect mileage schemes. All come with risks though, and obviously, the fun ones are the most risk.

Right?

...thought so

MM

PS: I may or may not have mentioned that the teller I go to happened to see me shopping later in the day in the same plaza where the bank is and he told me after his shift he was planning to use $50 in cash in his wallet to exchange for $50 in coins that I just brought in because he likes to give them as gifts, use them to pay for tolls (he has no EZ pass in his car) and collect a few too. He wants more.

I later made the neighborhood kids go bonkers when I used one to pay for lemonade at the stand set up by some little ones down the street. The little girl who took the coin ran around showing it to everyone. I was glad to know her happiness plays some small roll in my next vacation
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: AA 1MM Plat, PC Plat RA, HHonors Gold, National EE
I agree that even if we just deposit the coins into our local bank branches, we are "circulating" them. I just ordered 2 boxes of Jacksons, and I plan to head right to the credit union to deposit most, if not all, of them the day they arrive.

Don't merchants deposit their excess daily cash in their bank accounts anyway?

And every dollar I would spend in cash would be one mile less I could earn using a miles credit card. There seem to be so few places that accept only cash -- I really don't frequent tollbooths and strippers. Well, maybe a tollbooth or two a few times a year

I'll have to keep an eye on this thread to see if any of the earlier presidential dollar coins become available again, as I'd like to make more than 500 miles off this deal without having to do too much "innovative accounting."
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:07 am
Suspended

IMO dropping off all the rolls and then the bank selling them as rolls to be kept as such, is not what the Mint had in mind when they want circualtion.

paying for gas, lemonade, tolls etc etc is what the Mint had in mind.

Im not saying people shouldnt make a deposit to their bank acct/s. All im saying is lets not say that we are circulating the coins by depositing them into a bank acct. Now if the bank cracks the rolls open and issues the coins as they do $1 bills, then yes wed be helping getting them into circulation.

I dont know of even 1 bank that planned to issue the coins as they do $1 bills. I dont think they even have a slot in their registers/draws to put them into. And 1 teller was very annoyed that I was depositing some unrolled
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:19 am

You might have a tough time finding sympathy for banks these days.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: Continental OnePass Elite Platinum, American Executive Platinum, Ex-US Airways Chairman's Preferred
For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3mzTpFCrU
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:20 am

At the banks, sometimes if the teller does not accept them, merchant services will.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 2:50 pm

5 $500 boxes arrived today. The poor kid bringing them to my desk looked strained.

I have now gotten $500 worth of all 7 presidents... Bring on #8 and beyond!
Old Sep 5, 2008, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
My final $1000 arrived today, and finally they had a sensible delivery method: UPS and a signature! Contrasted to how all my other deliveries were just left on my door step -- and one time $2000 worth!

I've also noticed something very interesting....

My CC was only charged $500, a week ago, when the $1000 was shipped out...

Am I the 'lucky winner' this month? Or are they just pitifully slow at running all the charges.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
My final $1000 arrived today, and finally they had a sensible delivery method: UPS and a signature! Contrasted to how all my other deliveries were just left on my door step -- and one time $2000 worth!

I've also noticed something very interesting....

My CC was only charged $500, a week ago, when the $1000 was shipped out...

Am I the 'lucky winner' this month? Or are they just pitifully slow at running all the charges.
Card rules state you charge the card at time of shipment... Looks like you might have gotten lucky.
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
IMO dropping off all the rolls and then the bank selling them as rolls to be kept as such, is not what the Mint had in mind when they want circualtion.

paying for gas, lemonade, tolls etc etc is what the Mint had in mind.

Im not saying people shouldnt make a deposit to their bank acct/s. All im saying is lets not say that we are circulating the coins by depositing them into a bank acct. Now if the bank cracks the rolls open and issues the coins as they do $1 bills, then yes wed be helping getting them into circulation.

I dont know of even 1 bank that planned to issue the coins as they do $1 bills. I dont think they even have a slot in their registers/draws to put them into. And 1 teller was very annoyed that I was depositing some unrolled
By doing the job at hand, you had an annoyed teller? Hmmm, I think he/she should look for a more appealing job then.

They ARE stacking them in a circular slot behind the counter in the BofA I go to and they give them out at times too--I asked my teller friend there.

Originally Posted by BobbieD
For my money, I don't know if it gets any better than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF3mzTpFCrU

Wow, how sad that entire concept is! And to think people buy them. My question is: Can We buy with a CC and then cash out at banks (or sell later on Ebay for a profit? )
Old Sep 5, 2008, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I received a shipping confirmation E-mail last night (12 hours after the order was delivered by UPS) . . .
Old Sep 5, 2008, 9:13 pm

$500 Andrew Jacksons shipped by FedEx (signature required).
Cheerfully accepted by a supermarket branch of Charter/Citizens, "customers have been asking for these; give us all you have!"
Heaven, I'm in Heaven...
Old Sep 6, 2008, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by MyDearMiles (Post #640)
I am a little upset at the US Mint because I buy directly from them and even have several subscription orders with them and each shipment cost me $4.95 extra. For the presidential dollar coins, I've been paying $35.95 plus $4.95 (S&H) for a total of $40.95 for each one ($25 roll) released so far i.e. 7 to date.

Q: Are the coins you received mixed P and D mint marks? I order single mint mark.
One isn't given the option to choose mint mark under the “circulating dollars program,” which may be one reason the shipping costs are waived under that program. Mine have all been from Philadelphia -- or maybe my eyes are going bad.

I just deposted $4,000 Adams & Jefferson yesterday. They arrived a day before our credit card bills were due. Had they shipped out a day later, I'd have had a whole extra month to take a more active role in their circulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.