Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I highly recommend asking the bank before unrolling coins! My bank told me that they have to hand-count any unrolled coins, so they prefer to leave them in the rolls. They cut 'em & put them in bags and take the mint's word that there's 25 in each roll.
This morning my bank specifically asked me to not even unseal any of the boxes!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by buschoi
At least your cards are not frozen, yet, and you can still charge more coins to them. My account is frozen, and I am still waiting for them to respond after faxing the 4506T 3 days ago.

I wonder how they are dealing with it seeing so many people purchasing from the US Mint and making payments before the payment due date. Very obvious that the US Mint must be legitimate - they can easily ask the Mint about it. I wonder what question they may even have.

In the meantime, I just continue with other cards, providing an opportunity for Visa/Master to get some merchant fees and for me to earn some travel money.
UPDATE: After 5 days of returning the 4506T request form, the financial review team called me this morning (yes, a Saturday morning), and left me a message. ^ I called back and was told I passed the financial review, and my account is unfrozen. I asked, and she answered AMEX has a contract with the IRS to get the 4506T information within 72 hours. I guess that's why it is so quick.

Apparently they are okay with my Mint transactions, although they asked about them in the first phone call, and they are fine with me paying the cards before the billing cycle closes. When one doesn't lie about any information on the application, I think they are alright. I really thought they were going to close the card because of all these somewhat "suspicious" activities (depending on how you view it) and upset about losing the opportunity to earn more SPG points.

Time to place another order with the AMEX again. It is backordered until the end of the month though.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:08 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I had 2 great experiences this morning: My "new" bank asked me for MORE! I took in X,500 and they asked for another 500, and only 1,000 increments in the future since they can only bag them in those quantities. I told them on Monday I'd bring in an X,500 deposit to top them off. My other/old bank didn't even bother looking inside my usual boxes of 500; I guess they're used to me by now. They'll get some chocolates, again, next week
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:21 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
What is the weight of 1000 coins?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
What is the weight of 1000 coins?
My boxes of 2500 list around 47 lbs, including the boxes, packaging, etc. So 1000 would be around 19 lbs. If it's just coins though (no packaging, rolls, etc), it might be closer to 18-18.5.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
I had 2 great experiences this morning: My "new" bank asked me for MORE! I took in X,500 and they asked for another 500, and only 1,000 increments in the future since they can only bag them in those quantities. I told them on Monday I'd bring in an X,500 deposit to top them off. My other/old bank didn't even bother looking inside my usual boxes of 500; I guess they're used to me by now. They'll get some chocolates, again, next week
Sounds like you've enjoyed the same luck I've recently had. Two of my banks have vending machine company account holders and my coins save them from having to order them from the Fed. At one of the banks I never make a coin deposit, I just cash some in and take the cash to another bank and add that to my coin deposit. Works great for all concerned.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by xyzzy
^

Sounds like I need to open up an account.

Last edited by jrzyshawn; Aug 15, 2009 at 3:08 pm
Old Aug 15, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrpickles
I laugh when I see all the FT's working their a$$'s off to get SPG Gold status, when all u really have to do is call Starwood with a simple two letter offer code and you get Lifetime Gold status complimentary.
If you would, please PM me with the 2 letter code.

Thanks in advance!!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 4:13 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Everyone who went to the San Diego Zoo Do last month got the code and it has worked for them. I first used it in 1997. I have never heard of it not working, maybe you were not given the right code?
To keep on topic this is where LLM and I first discussed getting coins for miles.
Oh well I guess I am confused, I have no idea about anything in san diego, lol.
What I'm taking about is something different. But it was a 2 letter code.

If someone want to share this new code with me I sure would appreciate it.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by MartinElk
If you would, please PM me with the 2 letter code.

Thanks in advance!!

The code is:

not gonna be given out, except in person to people I meet, or know.

So everyone please stop PM'ing me!
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:01 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
The code is:

And gold being so important.......
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
OK, so this thread is really long! I've read the first post and the FAQ, even done some purchasing and depositing of coins myself. I'm confused as to how people have reported getting $40k worth in the last couple of pages.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Seated in First
OK, so this thread is really long! I've read the first post and the FAQ, even done some purchasing and depositing of coins myself. I'm confused as to how people have reported getting $40k worth in the last couple of pages.
The presidents are limited to 2 boxes @ 250 each per address. The Native Americans are limited to 99 boxes/order (at least online), unlimited orders. As long as your credit card(s) will support it, you can get a boat load of 'em.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum
The Native Americans are limited to 99 boxes/order (at least online), unlimited orders. As long as your credit card(s) will support it, you can get a boat load of 'em.
Thanks and er, Wow! Is that a recent development? I did the $5000 a bit earlier in the year and thought that was my lot.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:17 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
The code is:

So why post a benefit on FT and then keep it to yourself? Bragging?

By the way an SPG rep. advised me she had never heard of lifetime SPG Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.