Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:46 am

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by gejone
So why post a benefit on FT and then keep it to yourself? Bragging?

By the way an SPG rep. advised me she had never heard of lifetime SPG Gold.
UI - not lifetime, but for the year. They need to hear that you have platinum AMEX
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
This morning my bank specifically asked me to not even unseal any of the boxes!
One suggestion to ALL people bringing the coins to the bank with sealed boxes, DON'T DO IT!

I was about to start doing that for my BofA branch and opened a box of 250 expecting to find 10 rolls.... there were 9.

Since I opened the box myself, I could take the pictures proving that there was not a roll in there (no red marking from the roll at the top & bottom of that part of the container.

Had the bank done that themselves, I'd have been out $25.

This has happened twice....
Old Aug 16, 2009, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, HH Dia, yadda, yadda....
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Since I opened the box myself, I could take the pictures proving that there was not a roll in there (no red marking from the roll at the top & bottom of that part of the container.
Wow, two things come to mind with this:
1) I think the mint is pretty trusting if they accept your(our) word that there was 1 roll short in a box - even with a picture. A picture doesn't really prove that there was not 10 in the box, even the lack of marks is pretty iffy.
2) How did something like this get by the mint quality control? It seems pretty straight forward for them to weigh each box in the packaging process. We're not talking about a small weight difference - a full roll of $1 coins is pretty heavy - not too difficult to catch with weight measurement.

I have not had this probelm yet but I think I might weigh my future orders BEFORE I open them. That way if one is suspect I can either contact the mint first and/or get a witness to verify the contents when the seal is broken.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WBurcham
One suggestion to ALL people bringing the coins to the bank with sealed boxes, DON'T DO IT!

I was about to start doing that for my BofA branch and opened a box of 250 expecting to find 10 rolls.... there were 9.

Had the bank done that themselves, I'd have been out $25.

This has happened twice....
I always open the boxes at home to make sure each box does contain 2 trays each has 5 rolls. There were reports in the past that people found rolls are missing.

I am confused about the Red markings - those rolls are in a tray, how can there be any markings on the box?
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Happy

I am confused about the Red markings - those rolls are in a tray, how can there be any markings on the box?
Not on the box but on the white plastic tray

So far so good,TG, no missing rolls , but Ive had many a white tray that didnt have red markings on it, so thats not a proff of anything
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by craz
but Ive had many a white tray that didnt have red markings on it, so thats not a proff of anything
Same here, expecially with the new trays. I don't think the new trays have any markings from color-bleed in my experience.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 6:57 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Off topic, but I will do my best to bring it back on topic

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Blah Blah Blah, you are speculating as much as I am about what "works" and what doesn't for this deal. You obviously want bragging rights or you wouldn't be posting pictures of your abuse of this deal. Well, congrats you got them.

ps. SPG gold is useless anyhow so keep your two letter code. Post pics of your "yacht" if you want any more credible bragging rights.
This is not the first time I have delt with the US Mint to buy coins for miles. Back when I was a FT virgin I had to buy a gold coin to be placed below the mast on my sailboat. Legend has it that it brings good luck to the captain to place a gold piece under the mast. This was my first boat so I wanted to follow the yachting tradition. So my first coin order was a $20 Liberty gold piece and it was placed under the mast by the shipyard. Here is a picture just after it was placed in the water for the first time:

I was flying to the Netherlands about every 4-6 weeks for to meet with the naval architect and resident surveyor, construction/sea trials and then she was kept at the city marina in Rotterdam which is actually across the street from my attorneys office:

We crossed the Atlantic and made land fall in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and cleared US Customs, the ship was reflagged as a US Coast Guard registered vessel. Here we are refueling at the 17th Street bridge in Ft. Lauderdale:

Home is now in San Diego on Shelter Island, where that US Mint Gold proof coin in sitting under the mast, and yes I got AAdvantage Mile for the coin purchase online:

Have some faith and believe without asking for proof.

Last edited by mrpickles; Aug 16, 2009 at 8:53 pm Reason: deleated pics because they were huge see below
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by gejone
So why post a benefit on FT and then keep it to yourself? Bragging?

By the way an SPG rep. advised me she had never heard of lifetime SPG Gold.
Just beause the rep you spoke to has not heard of it, does not mean that it does not exist.

The offer code was made available to a select group of people who purchased a European vehicle which costs over $100K. I don't think it is given out any more however when I gave the code to LLM, I swore here to secrecy, she called *wood and gave them the offer code "__ __" and it worked. They never turned it off. Maybe it is a software glitch, but i don't think it would be cool for 800 FT's to call them on Monday morning and try to get Gold. It would be obvious that y'all did not buy this vehicle over the weekend and I don't think that there are even 800 new ones available in the USA.

Now if someone could upgrade me to Global Services, that would be like waterboarding me, I would blab.

If I ever meet any of you at a DO, or if you are in San Diego on a MR, I would be willing to share it in person, but I am not gonna throw it out on the internet. If you look at the other pictures I posted you can probably figure out the type of vehicle. I hope that you can appreciate that eve though SPG Gold is not anything special I still like to give it out to "my" friends and family and don't want to wipe out the code.

Last edited by mrpickles; Aug 16, 2009 at 7:17 pm Reason: typos
Old Aug 16, 2009, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by mrpickles
This is not the first time I have delt with the US Mint to buy coins for miles. Back when I was a FT virgin I had to buy a gold coin to be placed below the mast on my sailboat. Legend has it that it brings good luck to the captain to place a gold piece under the mast. This was my first boat so I wanted to follow the yachting tradition. So my first coin order was a $20 Liberty gold piece and it was placed under the mast by the shipyard. Here is a picture just after it was placed in the water for the first time:
I was flying to the Netherlands about every 4-6 weeks for to meet with the naval architect and resident surveyor, construction/sea trials and then she was kept at the city marina in Rotterdam which is actually across the street from my attorneys office:
We crossed the Atlantic and made land fall in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and cleared US Customs, the ship was reflagged as a US Coast Guard registered vessel. Here we are refueling at the 17th Street bridge in Ft. Lauderdale:
Home is now in San Diego on Shelter Island, where that US Mint Gold proof coin in sitting under the mast, and yes I got AAdvantage Mile for the coin purchase online:

Have some faith and believe without asking for proof.
LOL! You are so rich and I envy you sooo much. Of course it begs the question, why does a rich jetset like yourself bother to order $40,000 of coins just to earn some airline miles? You must have such a disposable income that you could earn those airline miles just by filling up your massive yacht! Things that make you go hmmm...
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:02 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

An earlier post speculated that the coins are used to offset the rapid depreciation of the pictured Range Rover.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
No.. No... No.... You guys don't understand the rich. It's not obtaining the miles, it's the thrill of the chase. Doing this coin thing makes you feel like you are getting away with something. You have knowledge that others don't have.

Remember.. Knowledge is power!! Buwhaahhaa!!!
Old Aug 16, 2009, 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
LOL! You are so rich and I envy you sooo much. Of course it begs the question, why does a rich jetset like yourself bother to order $40,000 of coins just to earn some airline miles? You must have such a disposable income that you could earn those airline miles just by filling up your massive yacht! Things that make you go hmmm...
Need to spend $2M to get lifetime platinum on AAdvantage.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Need to spend $2 to get two crunchy doublecheeses at BK.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:09 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Nevermind
Old Aug 16, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Mr. Pickles: Need to spend $2M to get lifetime platinum on AAdvantage.

Pierre: Need to spend $2 to get two crunchy doublecheeses at BK.

This is hilarious!!

Looking at the FT names, I would guess that Mr. Pickles goes for the BK $2 crunchy ones and a Pierre would go on his yaaaacht and never fly coach/cattle class

Only on FT^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.