Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
What is the typical turn around time from order to arrival?
7-10 days, but it could be more if they're backordered.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 9:44 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
What is the typical turn around time from order to arrival?
In the past 3 weeks worth of deliveries, the order-ship time is anywhere from 2-10 days, typically 5, though. Add 1 day for shipping, unless it's over a weekend, obviously.

Also, the backorder date cannot be fully trusted. On 9/7, the backorder date was 9/22, but my order is "In Process." On 9/9, the backorder date was 9/15 and my two orders from that date are "In Process" and "On Hold." My previous backorder dates are also off, so we can only hope that the current 9/27 backorder date is an over-estimate.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

Originally Posted by icurhere2
Originally Posted by pkerr
Just wondering... why are you taking coins on a plane?
I've done so to fund tips while in LAS. And I have fewer dollar coins in my living room now than I've had in probably half a year.
I take them with me to use at all the small shops that don't take CC's... (ie- Hawaiian Plate Lunch stands) and its great for tolls (Used a ton in FL)

As to turn around... my most recent order was placed on 9/10/09 (Very early AM) and supposed to be on hold until 9/15/09.

Yesterday 9/11/09 the order went to "In Stock and Reserved" and my CC was charged with a temporary authorization... so it can be quite fast - I expect the coins to ship Monday for a Tuesday arrival... less then a week to AK
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by slomrtwo
I do the same. Works great. Seems like it would be a little harder for a branch to refuse the coin when you are trying to "pay a debt" vs. just deposit
My understanding from this thread, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the banks have to take them if you are repaying a debt, including credit card debt.

Mike
Old Sep 13, 2009, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by mikeef
My understanding from this thread, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that the banks have to take them if you are repaying a debt, including credit card debt.

Mike
Correct. They don't have to take anything for a deposit, but for debts, they are required to take all legal tender, which coins are.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 3:41 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
My US Bank branch takes the coins in the back, the teller unrolls them and sends them through the counting machine. I have offered to unroll and they refuse. Of course, I am doing small deposits ($500-1000 at a time to cover new card spend requirements rather than to get the points per dollar) rather than car loads at a time.
That was then. This (unrolling) is now . Luckily I have other options.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by LLM
That was then. This (unrolling) is now . Luckily I have other options.
I must be just me - but, I don't understand the complaints about actually having to do some work in order to accumulate the number of miles that people are racking up with this endeavor. The miles are not costing us ANYTHING except a little time, and yet people are upset because they can't have coins dropped shipped directly to the bank or have to unroll their coins. Everyone lauds Pudding Guy, but go back and read what he actually did in order to accumulate his miles. Not only did he do some work, but also had other people help him. Pretty soon people will want to get miles just for thinking about them.

Last edited by balima; Sep 13, 2009 at 5:22 pm Reason: misspelling
Old Sep 13, 2009, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by balima
Pretty soon people will want to get miles just for thinking about them.
LOL^ One of my co-workers once mentioned that as I am probably earning miles as I walk.

Last edited by UA Fan; Sep 13, 2009 at 7:15 pm
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by balima
I must be just me - but, I don't understand the complaints about actually having to do some work in order to accumulate the number of miles that people are racking up with this endeavor.
I don't mind doing work, but forcing customers to open each of the rolls is just stupid. The coins were rolled by the US Mint. They're almost certainly going to be rerolled after being sent off somewhere. What a waste of effort. I remember when banks wouldn't take coins without their being rolled. Thankfully, none of my banks have made me open any of the rolls I have deposited.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:03 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I don't mind doing work, but forcing customers to open each of the rolls is just stupid. The coins were rolled by the US Mint. They're almost certainly going to be rerolled after being sent off somewhere. What a waste of effort. I remember when banks wouldn't take coins without their being rolled. Thankfully, none of my banks have made me open any of the rolls I have deposited.
Touche! US Bank personnel themselves apologized for making me rock and roll. They know perfectly well their depositary will count them and put them back in rolls. They said they just can't keep them around because there is no customer demand for rolled $1 coins. And good on that or this miles scheme would not exist.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't mind doing work, but forcing customers to open each of the rolls is just stupid..
I agree, but it may stem from the fact that they have to bag them to deposit them with the Fed ("the FRB does not accept wrapped coin")
http://www.frbservices.org/operation...epositing.html
Old Sep 13, 2009, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by soitgoes
I agree, but it may stem from the fact that they have to bag them to deposit them with the Fed ("the FRB does not accept wrapped coin")
My bank manages to deposit the rolls just fine. I've not seen them do it, but they tell me they just drop the rolls into the bags and send them off.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:06 pm

My bank manages to deposit the rolls just fine. I've not seen them do it, but they tell me they just drop the rolls into the bags and send them off.
+1. By now, I'm using 3 banks and several branches at each. None of them unroll them anymore; they bag them in the rolls of $25 and ship them off.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
Effective Nov. 1, 2009!!!!

Within this document are the NEW guidelines for how the banks are to prepare coin deposits for the Fed. It very plainly says, "The FRB does not accept wrapped coins." Therefore, if your bank doesn't keep the rolls on hand to circulate, someone will have to unroll the coins prior to them being shipped. The FRB coin deposit rules also state $1 coins are to be shipped to the Fed. with no more than $2,000 per bag. Hopefully the banks will accept the Mint rolled coin count as accurate; unroll them and place them in the bag without using the infamous mis-counting coin machines. Since these instructions are new, there may be a little delay until the banks get the word, but knowing the Fed. when they say Nov. 1 they mean Nov. 1.

This may not kill the deal, but it will definitely have an impact on some of the FTer's operations.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I have no problem unrolling them as long as I know the bank will give me an accurate count.

I followed one FT strategy of asking the bank for the best days to bring in the coins. They're happier.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.