Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2009, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA PLAT, SPG PLAT. Collector of Chase UR points
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Care to explain? I opened up a Chase acct in TX recently & they've been nothing but good to me (including cake yesterday!).
I did. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12209686-post3378.html
Old Aug 11, 2009, 5:40 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
LOL, they are always going to remember you now.
I think they remembered me (whether they acted like it or not) from my first visit...
They definitely remember me... I went in today with my convertible. The manager asks, "Mr. IAHTraveler, did you get a new car?" I said, "No, the purple one I had this weekend was my wife's." She looked confused and said, "What about the Camry you've had a few times?" So not only do they remember me, they must have a watch out for my vehicles, too.

Originally Posted by jrzyshawn
Oops, sorry.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Bank of America told me (at 2 seperate branches) that I'll very likely be charged a $4 counting fee for each bag that they send out when they are counted at the depository to verify the amount.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Bank of America told me (at 2 seperate branches) that I'll very likely be charged a $4 counting fee for each bag that they send out when they are counted at the depository to verify the amount.
The first time they try to charge you, ask for a copy of their policy in writing... as required by law. It was posted a few days ago on the spcifics of the rewuirement if you want to search for it.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
BTW.....Why can't the Mint just send their coins directly to the Fed?
Or better yet why can we just have UPS deliver it to the Chase cc payment center.....
Old Aug 11, 2009, 8:54 pm

Problem Resolved

The second bank manager was way nicer than the one that dinged my account. The second restored the amount that the machine reported short! She even mentioned that they could/would do the coin machine...that they would take rolls of coins will rolled ends (versus the fold ends you do at home). I have her hours and may take her up on that.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA 3MM
Originally Posted by tattikat2
The $4 fee is for loose coins. It's only $3 for rolls and you can put up to 50lbs per bag. It is published but it is published for commercial accounts only.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 12:24 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by pawtim
One can fit 3 rows of 6 each, then jam 2 more rolls in for $500. Makes it easy and quick for me and the teller.
I've found it best to do a row of 6, row of 5 (offset), row of 6, row of 3. If you start with the first row of 6 away from the endge of the box with flaps, you don't have to cram anything and the lid still closes for easier stacking. You could remove the flaps from the box, but that would add more time to the consolidation process.

Originally Posted by Lefty
I don't know if it varies branch by branch, but several of my local Chase branches have told me that they can only take large quantities of coins if they are rolled. No need to put my name or acct # on each roll either. ^
I took in a bunch to Chase for my "Opening Deposit" Saturday & they took them in rolls without accoutn #'s. I'm going to another across town today; I hope they take them the same.

Originally Posted by icurhere2
Of course, my deposits are all less than a week's paycheck ...
You either make a lot of money or don't order enough coins
Thanks. I'll try this, and the 4 rows of 5 (offset) suggested by the next poster. My method seemed to make the most sense to me, but oftentimes when I get to the bank they've gotten all jumbled anyway, so my method is not great.

Anyway, now I may be getting burnt out on this; maybe time for a break for me. (It is kind of addicting though.)
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:12 am

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
Something freaky is happening - I had 3-4 orders - each for 1000 / 1 of 1500 $ range. Most 1000$ ones are in 19-20 lb range in wt. on UPS tracking. The only 1500 order I had is split in two - one for 1000 and other 500. One of those is showing weight of 133+ pounds I am hoping it is just a glitch in the system and that I am not getting one someone else's order worth 1000s of $
Old Aug 12, 2009, 8:47 am

This has been going on since the beginning. I've had many 500 coin orders show up as 133 lbs in UPS tracking system. In the end, I've only ever gotten the exact amount I ordered.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Cool, my order has gone from backordered to "in stock and reserved," although it's still showing up as "on hold" under the order status, with no shipping info listed. From reading the FAQ and the past 85 pages, it seems to me that:

A) "on hold" is a rather nebulous term, and

B) the shipment should leave sometime soon, since they are no longer backordered

Mike
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
After being "on hold" for a few days, your order will show up as "processing." it will likely show as being shipped the next day. The time from date of order to date of receipt is generally 8 to 10 days.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pawtim
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Anyway, now I may be getting burnt out on this; maybe time for a break for me. (It is kind of addicting though.)
Yeah, I capped out the rewards on my wife's Citi Amex Platinum, plus achieved Hilton Gold status, and slowed way down. Now, though, I find that we can stay at the Conrad in Hong Kong at the VIP points levels, so that 7 days would be 205,000 points. I have enough for 6 days, I need to order enough to get up to 7. My wife also has a lot of points but is Silver, so maybe get her up to Gold so that we can use her points with Gold Status. Then a voice keeps whispering to me, why 7 days, why not 8? why not 10?

Also, 120,000 Alaska Airlines miles can allegedly be used for free first class on Cathay Pacific. So my voice says, that's only 240,000 coins! Less than two metric tons if you don't count the weight of the boxes! You can do that!
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by xyzzy
After being "on hold" for a few days, your order will show up as "processing." it will likely show as being shipped the next day. The time from date of order to date of receipt is generally 8 to 10 days.
Very cool. I ordered $5k worth, so I'm hoping for the expedited shipping.

Mike
Old Aug 12, 2009, 11:27 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
To infinity... and beyond!

You know what we need to do now?

We need to start calling and writing congressmen/women with Crane Paper (the company that makes currency paper) and Bureau of Engraving and Printing facilities in their jurisdictions. And maybe also those who represent manufacturers of bill-changing machines or even vending machines if we can determine that vending machine vendors don't want to rework their machines to accept dollar coins. Or the representatives of anyone else we can find who has a stake in opposing the elimination of the paper $1 note.

We need to lobby Congress to enact a "circulating $1 note" program to counteract the unfair assault on the greenback being perpetrated by the US Mint. The bill will encourage the use of paper $1 notes by offering them for sale at face value with free shipping, and no upper limit on the order quantity. Since it would be meaningless to accept paper money payments, the only accepted payment options would be credit cards and $1 coins.

When bank tellers complain about our coin deposits, we can encourage them to support our legislation.

We'd eliminate the coin deposit hassle, and the competetive nature of the two programs would ensure their continued survival well past the time the coin program would otherwise die a natural death.

Then all we'd have to worry about is SARs and suspicious Amex spending analysts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.