Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2009, 3:56 pm

When you guys are bringing in more than $2,500, are you leaving them in the small boxes?
Old Aug 8, 2009, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL KM
No. My bank wants the rolls, not the boxes. I went to Staples and got bank coin deposit bags. Each bag holds up to $2000 in dollar coins. I mark the bags with my account number and the contents.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
That's totally unacceptable! You need to contact the headquarters and/or the Better Business Bureau!
I won't do the toothless BBB, I have downloaded the complaint form for the State Attorney General. Think of all the Coinstar machines, probably totally unregulated and not certified. I smell class action.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 5:41 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
When you guys are bringing in more than $2,500, are you leaving them in the small boxes?
Wachovia has to open every roll & put them into bags, so I put 20 rolls in each small box (eliminating the plastic trays) for deposit. I did the same at Woodforest today and they were thrilled to get the coins and didn't care about the packaging. I'll find out really quickly if Woodforest and Chase want rolls or what.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 4:58 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
No. I take 2 boxes (with the plastic trays) and combine them into one box (without the plastic trays). One can fit 3 rows of 6 each, then jam 2 more rolls in for $500. Makes it easy and quick for me and the teller. I do it while I'm watching TV (although I would like to pick up on the clever/funny idea someone mentioned earlier for having their kids shuck coins -- I don't endorse shucking, but the idea of working together to consolidate boxes to make things easier, well...I might try that!)
Old Aug 10, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Every time I've made deposits, I take the package right to the bank and open it there (easier to carry the box while it's still taped up). Then, in front of the teller, I peel open each $250 box and give it to the cashier. They seem to be OK with this approach.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:49 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Choice Priveleges Gold, Club Carlson Silver, Wyndham Rewards, UMP, DL, ANA
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
I'll find out really quickly if Woodforest and Chase want rolls or what.

I don't know if it varies branch by branch, but several of my local Chase branches have told me that they can only take large quantities of coins if they are rolled. No need to put my name or acct # on each roll either. ^
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Exp Plat, UA 1K MM, DL Plat Hyatt Globalist, MGM Noir
Originally Posted by Lefty
I don't know if it varies branch by branch, but several of my local Chase branches have told me that they can only take large quantities of coins if they are rolled. No need to put my name or acct # on each roll either. ^
Which is the exact opposite of what Chase branches in Chicago require. Here we must bring in coins un-rolled so that they can be run through the counting machine.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:53 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Thank the Lord for credit unions! Just spoke with vault manager. "Bring em on in, I've got plenty of room! If I get too many, I'll just send them back to the Fed."

(then maybe the Mint will ship them back to me )
Old Aug 10, 2009, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
I don't think anyone else in my town orders dollar coins - the bank branches love the white plastic trays, keep the coins wrapped, and I often get the "now we don't have to order these coins" statement. Of course, my deposits are all less than a week's paycheck ...
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pierre mclopez
(then maybe the Mint will ship them back to me )
Nope. The Mint doesn't order coins from the Fed. The Fed has to keep them, which is why the Mint likes this and part of the reason the Fed is looking at storage options for excess dollar coins (this problem is exacerbated by these orders, not created by it).
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:59 am
Suspended

take note that as of today all the former WAMUs are now Chase's. And they werent too happy when I walked in with $1500. gave me some song and dance, I simply reminder them that as of today its Chase and dont give me any lip of what WAMU use to do

was told their vault is too small to handle it, Right. So I asked if I came in with $100k in $1 bills youd turn me away. No I was told we have room for that, I said if you have room for that then you should have room for my coins.

Then some song & dance about people buying them via the CC (thanks to those who love to Brag)

for some 1-2% back or Miles . I simply told them someone owed me some money and all I want to do is pay down my CC. If I give these back to him and take a check and his check bounces are you going to not charge me any fees etc, they took the Coins

So Id stay clear of any former WAMU branch till they get use to being Chase for the time being

Last edited by craz; Aug 10, 2009 at 12:42 pm
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
That's right -- today is "Chase day" at a local former WaMu branch. I think I'll have to drop in and give them a present
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by craz
Then some song & dance about people buying them via the CC (thanks to those who love to Brag)
But honesty is the best policy!!!!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:37 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by pawtim
One can fit 3 rows of 6 each, then jam 2 more rolls in for $500. Makes it easy and quick for me and the teller.
I've found it best to do a row of 6, row of 5 (offset), row of 6, row of 3. If you start with the first row of 6 away from the endge of the box with flaps, you don't have to cram anything and the lid still closes for easier stacking. You could remove the flaps from the box, but that would add more time to the consolidation process.

I took in a bunch to Chase for my "Opening Deposit" Saturday & they took them in rolls without accoutn #'s. I'm going to another across town today; I hope they take them the same.

Originally Posted by icurhere2
Of course, my deposits are all less than a week's paycheck ...
You either make a lot of money or don't order enough coins

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.