Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
I have been following this thread pretty regularly, and have gotten a few thousand in coins, mostly to fulfill new credit card spends. However, our current bank just told my husband that they will no longer accept the dollar coins as deposits (presumably in quantity). While I know lots of people have been told there would be a fee, has anyone else run into this?
Yes, there's been a few. The verdict is: It's well within their rights to do so, and it's well within your rights to discontinue banking with them if you disagree with their decision.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
When our UPS man dropped off a few boxes of US Mint love, he exclaimed, "Someone paid a pretty penny to get these here by 10:30am!" Now it's time for a trip to the bank...
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:03 am
ecq

they changed the trays that the coins come in.

random useless fact...
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:11 am

Programs: AA LT gold, SPG Gold
Smile NA coins are no longer on back-order!

Native American coins were on back order and expected to ship on 8/11. That message has been removed and I think they even charged my card today for an order I placed a few days ago.
Order away...
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:23 am

Programs: AA LT gold, SPG Gold
My NA coin order status changed from "on hold" to "in process."
Gotta plan another bank run.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ecq
they changed the trays that the coins come in.

random useless fact...
someone already posted about the change 200 posts ago http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12129351-post3056.html
Old Aug 5, 2009, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by ghurty
This is the first time I am trying this.

I placed an order 7/27 for the NA coins, and they said that they were in stock. I ordered 7.5K so they upgraded me to expedited shipping.

However, as of today, it still says:
"In stock and reserved"
and
"Order Status: Your order request is in process. "

Is this normal?

Thanks

How are you doing 7.5K per order. When I try to do this the web site says I am limited to 2 boxes per order.

Thanks!

-J
Old Aug 5, 2009, 1:44 pm

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
The north american ones you are able to do a lot more. Only the president ones are limited.

Originally Posted by jopalenc
How are you doing 7.5K per order. When I try to do this the web site says I am limited to 2 boxes per order.

Thanks!

-J
Old Aug 5, 2009, 1:52 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by AsiaTraveler
I have been following this thread pretty regularly, and have gotten a few thousand in coins, mostly to fulfill new credit card spends. However, our current bank just told my husband that they will no longer accept the dollar coins as deposits (presumably in quantity). While I know lots of people have been told there would be a fee, has anyone else run into this?
Which bank?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I just made a deposit at Chase. Their comments? "Ohh -- the customers are going to love these!" Then one teller asked the other, "Can I buy some of those from you?" After looking at one opened box, Chase just took the boxes unopened. Our local small-town bank apologized for making me open up all of the boxes to count the rolls.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
ICBIRTWFT! (I can't believe I read the whole thread!)

Originally Posted by IAHtraveler

Since my +1 has sworn not to "get involved in this crap" and I won't take more than 1 trip into the bank per deposit, 3500 is my max deposit, but I usually do 2k-2500 in a trip.
Fortunately, I'm married to a (mileage) whore!

Originally Posted by rrgg
Every one of these loopholes seem to go through the same phases before it dies abruptly.

With all of the recent comments, we've finally reached the 4th stage.
  1. Disbelief - Can this really work? There must be some mistake.
  2. Elation - It really works! I can finally take that dream vacation.
  3. Irrational Exuberance - I found something too good to be true. I have to tell someone.
  4. Denial - It can never end. I'll chit-chat with the [airline / bank / credit card rep / customer service / fill-in here]. Boy will they be impressed and happy I'm helping promote their program.
  5. Remorse - How could it end so soon?
The truest statement ever on FT. This has been the pattern on every single one of these outrageous deals that has been brought up on FT. While those other deals haven't had the backing of the mint, this one will eventually die out. Frankly, I'm pissed at myself for not having done more a year ago.

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
Also, keep in mind that $12k will weigh about 215 pounds.
Very helpful, thanks!

It's been interesting reading the entire thread (since the FAQs, anyway, which answered most of the previous 60 pages) and getting a feel for how this works. I'm definitely late to the game but will shortly be opening a Citibank account (with a non-traditional funding method, of course) and use that as one deposit source for the coins. I have the good fortune of working in the center of Boston's financial district, meaning that I have a bank on every corner, with some in between, so I won't have to worry about annoying any one branch with too many deposits.

I think craz has it best: keep under the radar, don't be greedy and enjoy while it lasts.

Mike
Old Aug 5, 2009, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
When our UPS man dropped off a few boxes of US Mint love, he exclaimed, "Someone paid a pretty penny to get these here by 10:30am!"
That would be a pretty Native American US$1, that is!

Speaking of, I've yet to meet anybody who wasn't at least mildly pleased to see the pretty coin (until I present hundreds or thousands of them at one time, of course!). I remember when they first came out a few years ago, but they've really disappeared since then, so it's fun to re-introduce them into the local cash stock.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
I outed myself this afternoon at the Sheriff's department. Filed a theft report for the 500 Andrew Jackson's that our mail carrier Peggy says she put in our mailbox on 7/22, no signature required. Also filing with the USPS Postal Inspector and the US Mint. Amex says currency isn't covered under their theft protection plan, not even for a valued customer of like me.

The sheriff was very thorough, even had me log on to the mint website (on his computer) and print out my order, the tracking information, and a photo of the coins. And he never once indicated any curiosity about what the heck I was doing churning coins. It just sounded stranger and stranger and I almost broke out laughing. I didn't mention the larger orders we have been dumping at the bank.

I suggested he talk to any kids he sees around town spending bunches of gold coins.

Warning: don't come to Ramona and start buying things with Andreew Jacksons. At least not for a few months.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: WN,DL,BA
is there a limit of how many N.A coins i can order? 5000 at one time? the website doesnt say anything. Can you keep ordering 5000 coins in the future?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:16 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by lili
I outed myself this afternoon at the Sheriff's department. Filed a theft report for the 500 Andrew Jackson's that our mail carrier Peggy says she put in our mailbox on 7/22, no signature required. Also filing with the USPS Postal Inspector and the US Mint. Amex says currency isn't covered under their theft protection plan, not even for a valued customer of like me.

The sheriff was very thorough, even had me log on to the mint website (on his computer) and print out my order, the tracking information, and a photo of the coins. And he never once indicated any curiosity about what the heck I was doing churning coins. It just sounded stranger and stranger and I almost broke out laughing. I didn't mention the larger orders we have been dumping at the bank.

I suggested he talk to any kids he sees around town spending bunches of gold coins.

Warning: don't come to Ramona and start buying things with Andreew Jacksons. At least not for a few months.

You should dispute the charge with AMEX (unless you've already said the "wrong" things).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.