Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ghurty
This is the first time I am trying this.

I placed an order 7/27 for the NA coins, and they said that they were in stock. I ordered 7.5K so they upgraded me to expedited shipping.

However, as of today, it still says:
"In stock and reserved"
and
"Order Status: Your order request is in process. "

Is this normal?

Thanks
Yes it does take a while sometimes, but 'in process' is generally better than 'on hold' like one of my shipments I have been waiting 1 month for. Just keep the patience they will ship.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 10:52 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by genotonda
Some banks don't take the rolls.

That's the beauty of the counters where YOU dump the money in. I usually dump $250 coins in each of the little boxes they come in, then as I dump them I watch the counter to make sure it counted 250. Then when you're all done it just prints off a receipt with your total and you give that to the teller.
I just opened an account at a credit union that has one, I went in Saturday and they had to change the bag once and two times it stopped due to a sensor error. The lady kept grousing, saying it was for normal usage, not one person slamming in that many coins. This after me telling them what was going on when I opened the account, and them saying, oh, bring in as many as you want, use the counter as much as you want, and one lady saying should would help open the rolls if I wanted. I said, tens of thousands, they said, yep. I didn't bring up the earlier comments because the point is a fair point, the machine is for everybody, not for me to use so much that I break it. I don't think I got the problems due to the number of coins, though; my coins are pristine.

How do you feed the coins. I dump in a whole box at once and then just lift the tray. Do you do it differently, like taking handfuls out of the box and putting them in?

Oh, I put in $2000 and the total was $2002.50. We made an adjustment so it would be right, though, pretended I got $2.50 back in cash. She said that probably when she had the machine open to get it working like it was supposed to, she had given me a couple dollars that had already gone down and been counted. We don't know what caused the extra 50 cents, though.

Last edited by Carl Johnson; Aug 3, 2009 at 9:42 am
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
That sounds a lot like my experience at my Credit Union here in Madison, WI. Though last time I went the "Sensor Error" shorted me around $5.25. The teller was nice enough to credit me the difference.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gejone
Caution. I have had issues using coin machines at banks. Some of the machines do not count $1 coins accurately. Yes, you know you put in $2,000, but the teller doesn't. There have been several reports in this thread about incorrect coin counts using the machines. I've yet to have a teller mis-count the rolls.

The last two posters are saying the same thing I've been trying to get across. For those who think coin counters are the best thing since sliced bread, you will probably have coin counting errors with $1 coins. If you are willing to lose $2-3 dollars per transaction, that's your choice. But when you get the $40-50 error, are you going to ignore the problem? Why risk the hassle, look for a bank that accepts your rolls and be done with it.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: Spirit,AAdvantage,Onepass,WorldPerks
Cool Sounds familiar

The last two posters are saying the same thing I've been trying to get across. For those who think coin counters are the best thing since sliced bread, you will probably have coin counting errors with $1 coins. If you are willing to lose $2-3 dollars per transaction, that's your choice. But when you get the $40-50 error, are you going to ignore the problem? Why risk the hassle, look for a bank that accepts your rolls and be done with it.
Sounds in line with my experience just that by me it was about $40 in my favor!! and the teller said I could keep it since the machine is always right!! I wasn't going to try to explain to her that I did not insert a couple dollars worth of pennies as the printout claimed.

Anyway For now I have quitted coins too much of hassle and embarrassment.

For now. that is....
Old Aug 3, 2009, 4:54 pm

Breaking down the rolls is somewhat time consuming!
Old Aug 3, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
The error issue is much less of a problem if you're feeding the coins yourself. If you're feeding the coins yourself, nobody tells you you have to feed in 1000 at a time. You can finish the count and get a receipt every 100 coins if you want, or every 10 coins even and keep doing it like that until you're confident you're getting a good count. Plus, my credit union told me when I was discussing it, if you get an error we'll rebalance the machine and fix it. (Now, this is before I started dumping in coins by the thousands, causing them to see the issue in a practical, rather than a theoretical, way).

This is different than the issue of just giving the bank a filled bag and having them take it and run it through a counter and you just having to take whatever the count is, which I would never do, having heard so many bad stories.

I have 3 banks, 2 with many branches, 1 with several branches, that accept my rolls with no problem. But this is a significant burden on the banks because they have to open up the rolls. I thought I could take more of the burden onto myself by opening the rolls and running them through the counter at the CU, but the last experience was a pain for the CU and who knows if they're going to start restricting me to some more reasonable limit. I'm going to take in one or two boxes and put them in 100 at a time and see how it goes.

I think everybody should explore all avenues they can, and report any worthwhile discoveries they find. If we can reduce the burdens on the banks, we get a lot less flak. If you can't open the rolls and get an accourate count, then there's no choice but to bring in rolls. The ideal, of course, is if we can find banks where they are able to distribute the coins to customers.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Breaking down the rolls is somewhat time consuming!
If you have kids, throw a "coin shucking" party! They will break 'em down in no time. If not, get busy, those coins aren't going to unwrap themselves...
Old Aug 3, 2009, 7:10 pm
Original Member

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold
I just received my order of 5k coins. I only placed the order last Sunday 26 July. Not bad at all since they were on "backorder"
Old Aug 3, 2009, 7:49 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by timstravel
If you have kids, throw a "coin shucking" party! They will break 'em down in no time. If not, get busy, those coins aren't going to unwrap themselves...
You'll have to frisk them.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:41 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
I have seen just as many stories where people deposited rolled coins only to have the bank count them later and determine the amount was less than what the depositor said, then go right in an debit that amount back out of the account.

I would personally rather dump the coins into the machine myself if possible and keep my own eye on the counter.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:43 pm

Wink

i brought boxes of coins to a bank this afternoon 20 minutes before it closed. A teller took my deposit of coins. She asked the lady in charge of the vault whether there was space. The lady just said no. However, this kind teller simply asked another tellers to "buy" some of the coins from her, and told me not to worry about it. Meanwhile, another teller walking by her said they got another boxes of coins last Saturday from a person who played the "coin-for-mileage" game. I just smiled all the time and thanked the teller sincerely before I walked out of the bank.

It might be good to deposit the coins sometime earlier on a day, before another FTers fill the vault, while more people are jumping in.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
i brought boxes of coins to a bank this afternoon 20 minutes before it closed. A teller took my deposit of coins. She asked the lady in charge of the vault whether there was space. The lady just said no. However, this kind teller simply asked another tellers to "buy" some of the coins from her, and told me not to worry about it. Meanwhile, another teller walking by her said they got another boxes of coins last Saturday from a person who played the "coin-for-mileage" game. I just smiled all the time and thanked the teller sincerely before I walked out of the bank.

It might be good to deposit the coins sometime earlier on a day, before another FTers fill the vault, while more people are jumping in.

I wouldn't show up at a bank with boxes of coins to deposit right before closing. Just me.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Besides my closest branch getting unhappy with bringing in 2.5K at once, the other branches haven't complained about 1K deposits. The branch manager wanted to charge me $12.50 per 1K since they ship them back and that was their shipping costs.

So spacing out the deposits between branches and not exceeding 1K each seems to work well. Thankfully there are several branches on my way to/from work so it's not a big deal to spread around the love.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 10:32 pm

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
What is the most anyone here ever deposited at once?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.