Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009, 6:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by fsa_ea
You should dispute the charge with AMEX (unless you've already said the "wrong" things).
I'm thinking about that as a last ditch effort, along with my homeowner's insurance (which like Amex, probably doesn't cover currency.)

Mint claims and can prove they delivered package to FedEx
FedEx claims and can prove they delivered package to the USPS.
USPS scan shows delivered to my mailbox. (Well, it shows the box was on the truck and was scanned by the driver. No evidence it was actually put in my mailbox.)

I think sitting in a mailbox on the street is a no man's land.

Sheriff agrees our street is "quiet" as does the Postmaster. If package had been too big for box carrier would have just left it by the garage or on a rock as usual. We don't lock our doors/windows even leaving for a week sometimes (under certain circumstances.)

Good news is I get the keep the hHonors points and I bagged Gold for another year :-) Bad news is I canceled home delivery and now have to drive into town to get Netflix from post office box.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:50 pm

Now can you only order 2 of each president? Or can you only order 2 of each president per order?
Old Aug 5, 2009, 9:54 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Now can you only order 2 of each president? Or can you only order 2 of each president per order?
Two of each president per address, ever. If you order more, they usually catch it and cancel it.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
the mint really needs to publicize these are REAL

I tried to pay $10 toward a bill in a restaurant and the owner wouldn't take them b/c he wasn't sure they were real!
Old Aug 5, 2009, 10:49 pm

I don't think most people are use to them.
Old Aug 5, 2009, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Astrophsx
I don't think most people are use to them.
Just had a local (cash-only) business request me to pay with something other than dollar coins today (it was $5). I had used them in the past to make up odd amounts to avoid getting $1 bills back. They said they hated them. I still spend a reasonable amount elsewhere in these dollar coins, but I doubt that the businesses that I'm giving these coins to are actually giving them out as change.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:55 am

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
What is the current lead time for the mint to process the NA orders? I am kinda running against time before my current statement closes - trying to get an idea if I am cutting too close
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: Premier Executive, Continental Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, Velocity Gold, Alaskan MPV Gold.
Coins, Wachovia and SPG cards with low spend.

So, I took some coins to my local Wachovia yesterday (3k worth and 1st time at that branch) I have a SunTrust and a Wachovia on the same block so I'm trying to break up the deposits between the two. I get a nice young lady who is more then ok taking the coins but besides her is a older lady who has been there forever. (I know, I walk by the bank every morning going to work and she's opening that Wachovia) The older lady looks at what I'm doing and asks me were I got the coins. I'm a horrible lair so I tell her the truth. She gives me the evil eye but doesn't say anything else.

I go in today with 2k, I'm trying to get the coins out of my office and put to use paying off a SPG card so I can get the 15k extra points for the three month spend time limit. That means turning the coins fast at the 3k limit SPG gave me. This time I get the nice younger lady again who has no problem with the coins but then the older one butts in. She tells me that the vault is getting full (I know that's not true) and that next time she will need to call in and get the official policy for depositing coins.

I knew she was going to be trouble because I was doing something out of the ordinary.

I now have a request in with Wachovia corporate to get the coin deposit official policy. Hopefully I can be armed with this info if she gets upset next time I come in with coins.

On another note, Suntrust had to fill out some special paperwork the last time I came in and get proof of employment. I told the lady I expected this kind of thing and we laughed at it. She also knows the what I'm trying to do. They will still take the coins. I've tried not to deposit too much at one time, 2k to 3k a week at each institution, just starting this week with the wachovia branch.

I just wanted to pass along my experiences so far.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by compuser1973
What is the current lead time for the mint to process the NA orders? I am kinda running against time before my current statement closes - trying to get an idea if I am cutting too close
In my experience, 10 days are pretty safe if coins are in stock, and longer when backordered, depending on how long they will be available again.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:15 am
Original Member

Location: UA UGS 1K; US Chairman: AA Platinum: Marriott Platinum Premier; *wood Gold
Originally Posted by compuser1973
L

The last order I received was placed on Sunday 26 July. At that time the website said they were on backorder to 01 August. The coins were delived on Monday 03 August, so a total of 8 days even with the backorder.

That is not much different from my experience over the past few months when they are not on backorder. Those orders have all been delivered 6 or 7 days after being placed.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 10:21 am

Programs: UA MP, DL SkyMiles
Originally Posted by FFLASV
L

The last order I received was placed on Sunday 26 July. At that time the website said they were on backorder to 01 August. The coins were delived on Monday 03 August, so a total of 8 days even with the backorder.

That is not much different from my experience over the past few months when they are not on backorder. Those orders have all been delivered 6 or 7 days after being placed.
Originally Posted by buschoi
In my experience, 10 days are pretty safe if coins are in stock, and longer when backordered, depending on how long they will be available again.
Thanks much - looks like it may work then :-)
Old Aug 6, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: SPG, HH, AA, UA, BD, Hyatt, TYP
Originally Posted by ckc123
She tells me that the vault is getting full (I know that's not true) and that next time she will need to call in and get the official policy for depositing coins.
How do you know that the vault is not getting full? Not all banks send out shipments every single day. One of my local branch managers talked to me this week and asked me if I could possibly just bring the coins on Monday and Tuesdays because she packs all of the coins up on Wednesday morning and ships them to the bank's coin vault. No problem by me!
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by ckc123
I now have a request in with Wachovia corporate to get the coin deposit official policy. Hopefully I can be armed with this info if she gets upset next time I come in with coins.
When you get this info, can you pass it along, please? I had a W tell me the same thing, just before being "flagged" for large cash transactions (I posted about it last Friday/Saturday if you want more info).

To give the next part of my Wachovia saga: Today, with 2500, I went to the branch that questioned me last week. The teller told me he had to take the money to the back to count it, something that's never been done before. It took him nearly 10 minutes to "count" the rolls, which usually takes 90 seconds. While he was "counting", the other teller that I've explained my story to twice before, comes out to ask me the website I order them from. She wrote it down and asked me again why I do it. I explained my Chase CO card and I could tell she was taking notes, even though she was looking at me. She tried to be sly and said "Maybe I'll have to order some for myself because I can always use miles, too." No, I think you're just gathering info for the SAR or LCTR that you're filling out, but whatever. I just wish they'd be as honest with me as I am with them.
Old Aug 6, 2009, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
Do most of you who purchase coins register with the mint, or just buy them on line without registering? I'm wondering what the pros and cons of registering are, besides the ability to track. Thank you,
Old Aug 6, 2009, 6:01 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by 236Dakota
Do most of you who purchase coins register with the mint, or just buy them on line without registering? I'm wondering what the pros and cons of registering are, besides the ability to track. Thank you,
Pros: Stored info so you don't have to type it each time.
Cons: If you're scared that The Mint is storing your CC info online. Other than that, none that I know of, as it's been proven that you can't get more than 1 order of each president... registered or not.

Last edited by IAHtraveler; Aug 6, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.