Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:27 pm

I've read here that some people had bought coins and when they delivered, the shipment was simply left at your door.( not sure if they mention if its UPS, USPS, or some other shipping agent)
This seems a bit scary for me as I have had packages in the past left on my door stolen before I got home and what a big hassle it was to dispute that, and this was just for regular goods bought, let alone actual $$$(2500 worth) all neatly wrapped in a box.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:41 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by phantomtiger
I've read here that some people had bought coins and when they delivered, the shipment was simply left at your door.( not sure if they mention if its UPS, USPS, or some other shipping agent)
This seems a bit scary for me as I have had packages in the past left on my door stolen before I got home and what a big hassle it was to dispute that, and this was just for regular goods bought, let alone actual $$$(2500 worth) all neatly wrapped in a box.
UPS calls me the day bewfore delivery and you have to sign for them. If you're not home they will leave a note. They attempt delivery 3 times. Our regular UPS driver who usually just tosses things in the driveway is very meticulous about getting a signature for these.

Shipments less than $300 go FedEx SmartPost and do not require a signature. FedEx delivers to your local post office, and the carrier takes it to your house and puts it in your mailbox. If you want to be sure the package isn't left on your porch the advice from the Mint is to ask for expedited shipping, which requires a signature.

I know this to be factual because I've been in touch with USPS, FedEx and the Mint about a missing box of 250 Andrew Jacksons which were supposedly delivered 7 days ago.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 6:42 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I've read here that some people had bought coins and when they delivered, the shipment was simply left at your door
That was the old way. Beginning in about April, they started shipping all >500 orders via UPS with signature required.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
Where is the evidence that lying caused the FBI involvement?
2 posts suggest that the police and/or FBI were called:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e#post11892435

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e#post12072742
Old Jul 29, 2009, 7:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I dont blame the banks, seems these 2 simply carried in the box that UPS delivered them in

and the 1st 1 for $150 took in $7500 @ 2% or $15k @ 1%. I too would have called the Police, thinking something is Up and Wrong

but nuf said as no one is gonns change how they do things anyway
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham
Neither of these show any remote link between lying about your reason for having so many coins and getting the FBI called as your previous post suggested.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:16 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by craz
I dont blame the banks, seems these 2 simply carried in the box that UPS delivered them in
That's what we do. Why fool around if the bank doesn't care, and apparently ours doesn't. At least not yet.

Take them out of the boxes, unroll them. What next, mix them with some dirt so they look like they were buried in your back yard and recently discovered?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lili
That's what we do. Why fool around if the bank doesn't care, and apparently ours doesn't. At least not yet.

Take them out of the boxes, unroll them. What next, mix them with some dirt so they look like they were buried in your back yard and recently discovered?
well I for 1 simply open the main box take out the small boxes, open then and dump 40 rolls max into a plastic bag/s. Then bring 1 bag with a max of 40 rolls into any 1 branch

I do not unroll them!

I only started getting asked where I got them from when others started bringing them in for deposit in the main box and also in the small boxes. It looks as if the person ripped them off from somewhere

Never a boo given to me when I told them the person who owed me the $$ wanted to give me an out of State check, when it bounces do you promise not to charge me any fees? they always say Id take the $1 coins as well and be happy it isnt Pennys or Nickels
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:51 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by craz
I only started getting asked where I got them from when others started bringing them in for deposit in the main box and also in the small boxes. It looks as if the person ripped them off from somewhere.

Never a boo given to me when I told them the person who owed me the $$ wanted to give me an out of State check, when it bounces do you promise not to charge me any fees? they always say Id take the $1 coins as well and be happy it isnt Pennys or Nickels
...and that's when the truth comes out, "I buy them from the Mint, charge the purchase to my credit card and I get the airline miles. That also helps the Mint get these into circulation." Most of the tellers think it's really a great idea and some ask how to do the same thing for themselves.

Lying about your source does nothing. If you ever change your story and a teller remembers your other story, forget the SAR that might be sent, what about telling someone an intentional lie? If you keep telling the same story that is bound to raise questions; How many checks can one person refuse and get paid in brand new $1 coins? Can we say SAR!!! Or just, extreme lack of ethics.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gejone
...and that's when the truth comes out, "I buy them from the Mint, charge the purchase to my credit card and I get the airline miles. That also helps the Mint get these into circulation." Most of the tellers think it's really a great idea and some ask how to do the same thing for themselves.

Lying about your source does nothing. If you ever change your story and a teller remembers your other story, forget the SAR that might be sent, what about telling someone an intentional lie? If you keep telling the same story that is bound to raise questions; How many checks can one person refuse and get paid in brand new $1 coins? Can we say SAR!!! Or just, extreme lack of ethics.
its alot better then slaying the golden goose,IMO

besides I did 1 time have to go into this should be a lesson why not to allow a friend to use your CC if a Bank has cancelled theirs , he said he did the same with his BIL and learned the lesson himself the hard way.

Simply be consistant and there wont be any problems.

I guess you are the Only person who Never told a lie in their Life or do you when its convient for you to and for most they cant let the chance to Brag go by

the Truth is its really none of the Biz where Any of us got them from. I fully understand its an unusual deposit but still do they ask a person where they got all the 100s they are depositing from? Nope, so just take my deposit as is and move to the next person in the line as well
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:13 am

As I said earlier on this thread, UPS just left our coins on the porch two times, even though they had called to say a signature would be required. We have a different driver now, and he always waits. Previous UPS drivers also waited. I have no idea what the "bad" driver did for our signature. We should have complained, but I kept procrastinating on the call, then we got the new driver.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by gejone

LOL at the people who think depositing them into the bank is "getting them into circulation." Don't delude yourself any further, the banks aren't giving these coins out to anyone unless they are specifically asked for by the customer. Depositing them into the banks is the OPPOSITE of what the Mint wants us to do with them.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jlgrandam
LOL at the people who think depositing them into the bank is "getting them into circulation." Don't delude yourself any further, the banks aren't giving these coins out to anyone unless they are specifically asked for by the customer. Depositing them into the banks is the OPPOSITE of what the Mint wants us to do with them.
actually its probably worse , in that as The Mint gets all of these orders it will simply produce more and more of them. They get deposited to our Banks who in turn ship them to The Fed, where they will stay until their room for them gets filled and they tell the Mint to stop making them

and thats where they will sit = another govt program of waste, but this time we all are getting something out of it. While usually we get nothin for our $$

But let the Dreamers keep a dreamin
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Eliminate the $1 bill and the problem disappears. Talk radio would go crazy but the government would save millions.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:03 pm

Programs: Spirit,AAdvantage,Onepass,WorldPerks
One way..

Originally Posted by Tobster
If the US Mint is looking at this thread I am sure they can figure out that lots of coins are being sold for the purpose of earning miles/points. Listing my amount isn't going to make a difference
Now, that one way of looking at it...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.