Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 8:59 pm

I was going to stay away but Troy is correct. You can expect the all kinds of law enforcement inquiries. The banks are under extreme presure to look at all transactions. I already have had contact with the FBI. No joke.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by gejone
No. Since your deposits are all less than $10,000 each there would be no CTR's or SAR forms completed.
This is wrong. Banks are required to submit Federal forms for $10k and larger cash deposits. They can also submit them for smaller ones if they want to.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by rbc100
I had an order about 6 weeks ago that was short 1 box and sent in the form shortly after. After calling in about 4 times it is yet to be resolved. How have others fared on getting short orders resolved. rbc100
ive got one $500 box outstanding. filed the cnr last week so hopefully it'll be resolved soon.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: AA LT Gold & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xyzzy
This is wrong. Banks are required to submit Federal forms for $10k and larger cash deposits. They can also submit them for smaller ones if they want to.
The original post stated the OP made the deposits at <$10K per day and I agree, no CTR is required if you are below that limit. If you make your deposits, chat with the teller, tell the truth, why would they file a SAR? It's been told here many times the tellers are curious about the coins, when I've told them what I'm doing they all seem to think it's a neat idea, nothing suspicious to report.

Of all transactions that the IRS could look at, this program has some of the best documentation available. Every transaction has a invoice, a credit card receipt, a deposit record and payment record to the credit card company. Why get paranoid about the IRS when all we're doing is collecting lots of miles from a legal, government requested activity.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by xyzzy

Concur. All they have to do is believe that there is structuring going on and the CTR will be completed. We had a client who was brought into an ongoing investigation on a coke deal because of a series of deposits that were less than $10K and where the deposits represented a change in the pattern established when the account had originally been opened.

MOST people are NOT going to have their life opened to significant scrutiny simply because the CTR is filed, but that is because MOST people could rationally explain away WHY certain deposits were made...
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:27 am
Original Member

Since we are playing Chicken Little, here is another reason to keep all of the receipts. Don't forget that the Mint sells gold coins and collectibles, which are subject to sales/use tax in many states. Some states use information sharing agreements with the federal government to find transactions and send letters to people that they believe owe use tax.

If this happens, the receipts will show that the purchases are for currency that has no value beyond face ($1) and would not be subject to use tax. I'm certainly not trying to scare anyone out of participating in the program, since I do so myself. I just think that keeping documentation is critical if contacted by government agencies. If SARs are filed, I sure hope the banks are specifying that the deposits are in the form of $1 coins. In that case, hopefully they will all go into a pile for "those frequent flyer people" and no further contact from the federal government will occur. Maybe Centurion explained it well enough to the FBI to help us all avoid further scrutiny.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Andy2
Since we are playing Chicken Little, here is another reason to keep all of the receipts. Don't forget that the Mint sells gold coins and collectibles, which are subject to sales/use tax in many states.
I don't know about coins, but as a stamp collector I know that in IL (at least), there is a specific line in the sales/use tax code that says that mint US stamps sold below 150% of face value are not subject to sales tax. Above that, they are.

You can probably Google up the relevant info for your state.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:40 am
Original Member

That is a good point. When I said many states, I didn't mean all states. I happen to work in one that has pursued gold coin purchasers rather heavily. I think some gold bugs are going to be surprised by these rules, and I look for states to try to use methods to try to find them that may include getting customer lists from agencies like the Mint. Maybe not, but just another reason to keep receipts.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, can you go in person to some office in DC or at a mint and buy coins over-the-counter with your credit card?

Probably been answered before, but I can't find it. Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
By the way, can you go in person to some office in DC or at a mint and buy coins over-the-counter with your credit card?

Probably been answered before, but I can't find it. Thanks.
In the lobby of the Mint's DC offices, you can't buy the circulating rolls over the counter. They only sell the collectible (i.e., seriously marked-up) items. Although they have 2 machines that make available the latest dollar coin issues at face value for circulation (plus a state quarters machine), these machines only take cash.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HLS2002
In the lobby of the Mint's DC offices, you can't buy the circulating rolls over the counter. They only sell the collectible (i.e., seriously marked-up) items. Although they have 2 machines that make available the latest dollar coin issues at face value for circulation (plus a state quarters machine), these machines only take cash.
Thank you.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, selling the things at retail instead of UPS-Redding/Blueing them all over.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by rbc100
I had an order about 6 weeks ago that was short 1 box and sent in the form shortly after. After calling in about 4 times it is yet to be resolved. How have others fared on getting short orders resolved. rbc100
My first order was short (back in June) by 1 box. I called once, received the form a few days later, filled it out and mailed it back and about 2 weeks later I received an email saying the $250 would be refunded for the missing box. Then that night I received another email for an order of $250 and the next day I received a single box of $250 NA.

Whole process was less than 3 weeks from discovering the missing box and receiving a replacement.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 1:38 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Thank you.

Seems like a no-brainer to me, selling the things at retail instead of UPS-Redding/Blueing them all over.
Then we would have to fly to a city with a mint and pay for overweight baggage!
Old Jul 24, 2009, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by lili
Then we would have to fly to a city with a mint and pay for overweight baggage!
But, we would be earning miles for travel and the coins.......
Old Jul 24, 2009, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by sbc94523
But, we would be earning miles for travel and the coins.......
And paying the airlines using dollar coins

(Wouldn't they just love that )

If this worked for those in a city with a mint- it would be a win-win...

Until we get one in ANC... I'm content with overnight delivery

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.