Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:28 pm

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Happy
The information is on the FIRST POST of this thread.
We need a new FT acronym for this.

Then when someone asks something that's been answered ad infinitum someone can just answer:

"FP" (First Post) or
"CFP" (Check First Post) or
"CFPBA" (Check First Post Before Asking) or
"CFPBAD" (Check First Post Before Asking, Dingleberry) -- this should only be used for repeat offenders...
Old Apr 17, 2009, 1:46 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by ChaseTheMiles
In OMNI I have stated that I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal, here I have "coined" a new description that I am "coin cautious". As I don't want to kill the golden goose by order too much at a time nor call attention to the "coin recycling" activity when I go to the bank, I only order the 2 x 250 order at a time. However, as you can see from other posters, some have staggered multiple orders so that they always have something coming through the pipeline.
Fiscally conservative should deposit only $1.00 coin at a time.

By the way, what do your politics have to do with buying coins from the Mint?

That's a rhetorical question, son. @:-)
Old Apr 17, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by Cheapskate Travels
You might want to call and cancel. It sucks. We were a day or so away from doing it before going on vacation last month. Luckily the order arrived, but we were about to call.

Canceling sucks, but having a multi-thousand dollar order sit on the step for 2 weeks probably sucks more. And, if you are a worrier, it might ruin your vacation.
If you're out of town and get the email about shipment you can send a request for holding with UPS. I nearly had to do it last week, but the package arrived 15 minutes before i left for the airport cut it really close!

here's the link
Old Apr 17, 2009, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aaron1262
If you're out of town and get the email about shipment you can send a request for holding with UPS. I nearly had to do it last week, but the package arrived 15 minutes before i left for the airport cut it really close!

here's the link
According to the link, you must first have an account with UPS (My UPS), and then log into your aco.... to do so...

But I am really confused about "this is a fee-based service for SHIPPERS" - How can you the receipient be the shipper to use such service, even if you are willing to pay a fee?

This fee-based service for shippers allows you to request the intercept of packages prior to delivery, providing greater flexibility in managing your shipping needs.

When you select UPS Delivery Intercept, you can request that UPS perform one of the following actions:

* Return to Sender: Return the package to the shipper
* Deliver to Another Address: Reroute the package to a new address
* Reschedule Delivery: Hold the package for delivery on a future date
* Will Call: Hold the package for pickup by the consignee
Old Apr 18, 2009, 12:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond

But I am really confused about "this is a fee-based service for SHIPPERS" - How can you the receipient be the shipper to use such service, even if you are willing to pay a fee?
I believe the answer is that the recipient can't. The bolded text of your comment is relevant to a shipper who, for some reason, wants to recall the shipment or reroute it to another address. In this case, it is the mint who would have to make the "intercept" request.

I may be wrong, but this is my understanding.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deant
I believe the answer is that the recipient can't. The bolded text of your comment is relevant to a shipper who, for some reason, wants to recall the shipment or reroute it to another address. In this case, it is the mint who would have to make the "intercept" request.

That is my understanding as well. That is why I am confused by aaron1262's post that provides the link.

I have 2 outstanding orders placed exactly 1 week ago on 04/09. If they dont arrive in the next 4 weeks, I would have to stop the shipments. The preceeding 2 orders placed on 03/23 arrived in exactly 2 and 3 weeks respectively. So I am still hopeful.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by deant

I've had UPS hold them for me to pick up, but they required that they first be attempted to delivered. After the first attempt you can call and have them hold them. Not sure if you can have them hold them and then deliver them at another date.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ncfinfan
I've had UPS hold them for me to pick up, but they required that they first be attempted to delivered. After the first attempt you can call and have them hold them. Not sure if you can have them hold them and then deliver them at another date.

After UPS first attempt, I was able to ask them to hold and deliver on another specific day.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mkpkmp
After UPS first attempt, I was able to ask them to hold and deliver on another specific day.
I assume in both cases you guys call UPS 1-800 number to do the request?

What if the first attempt happens when the receipient is already out of town? (or out of country in our case, for 50 days... I wonder if they can be reached by a regular phone number? )
Old Apr 18, 2009, 2:57 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

When UPS misses you & leaves a tag on your door, you can:
-wait for them to retry (total of 3 visits before they ship it back)
-shedule another delivery day (can't schedule a time, though)
-have the UPS facility hold it for pickup (they are usually out of the way and it's a hassle)
-change the delivery address.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 4:47 pm

I assume in both cases you guys call UPS 1-800 number to do the request?

What if the first attempt happens when the receipient is already out of town? (or out of country in our case, for 50 days... I wonder if they can be reached by a regular phone number? )

I would assume they have a regular number, but don't have any experience with that. If I was you I would call the 800 number and ask them if they have one. They do limit how many days they will hold the shipments before shipping it back. I don't remember how long it was but I don't think it was anywhere near 50 days. That would be another question to ask them. As the previous post said you could have it shipped to an alternate address instead of having it held.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would assume they have a regular number, but don't have any experience with that. If I was you I would call the 800 number and ask them if they have one. They do limit how many days they will hold the shipments before shipping it back. I don't remember how long it was but I don't think it was anywhere near 50 days. That would be another question to ask them. As the previous post said you could have it shipped to an alternate address instead of having it held.
The premise of such is, the shipping notification is received from the Mint before we leave. Then I could contact UPS to ask for re-direct (to our neighbor).

If there is no shipping notification 1 day before we leave, I would need to call the Mint to ask for re-direct. The Mint said it needs to be a written instruction but can be faxed to them.

May 20 would be the absolutely last day to do it, one way or the other. It would be exactly 5.5 weeks from order date. I hope by 4th week the shipments would arrive, since the 2 3/23 orders arrived on 4/07 (2 weeks) and 4/16 (3 weeks) respectively.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I just deposited 3,750 worth of coins at my local Citibank and they finally snapped (almost). the manager was not in and so they told me that I would soon get a letter stating that there would be a limit of how many coins I could bring in. they feel they are spending money shipping it back to the Feds.
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:43 am
In memoriam

When I go into Citibank to make coin deposits all I get are comments about how clever it is to get miles this way. And, comments from the manager that she might try it herself.

Guess it depends on the branch. Plus, I don't deposit more than $2.5K at one time (too heavy to carry more in one trip).
Old Apr 19, 2009, 12:53 pm
ecq

what i didn't want to happen, happened. i posted that i received 2500 NA coins on 4/7. well finally got the email on friday but they're charging me for 5000 coins! so i called and of course cs didn't know what was going on. she said to wait until later next week because something was shipped on friday but she doesnt know what. i didn't receive an email on that one so who knows. presidents was shipped on the 15th and received an email for that one.

hopefully the rest of the 2500 NA will be shipped otherwise it'll be a messy problem. the receipt does say only shipped 10 boxes instead of 20. and i have the coin machine receipt that says 2499, yes they jipped me $1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.