Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2009, 1:17 pm
ecq

Originally Posted by mrx900
what are N.A.'s?

Me no understand...North Americans??
native american's
limit is 20 boxes while the presidents are limit 2 boxes.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
ahhhh..i never knew you could order more than 2 boxes per set.....and to think all this time Ive been doing it the hard way
thanks y'all for guiding me to the lite!

EDIT: just placed my 5K order!
How does everyone explain to the bank why they've got so many coins to deposit? I've only done it twice ($500 apiece), went to two different banks. First bank was fine, apparently someone else is doing it because they asked if I was the same guy that does this often. The second bank had a huge issue with it and acted like they weren't legal tender, and had to call Chase corporate to see if they could even accept them. They eventually did, but it was a hassle. I'd hate to order a couple thousand and go through something like that again; any advice to lessen my anxiety?
Old May 25, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by ken7
How does everyone explain to the bank why they've got so many coins to deposit? I've only done it twice ($500 apiece), went to two different banks. First bank was fine, apparently someone else is doing it because they asked if I was the same guy that does this often. The second bank had a huge issue with it and acted like they weren't legal tender, and had to call Chase corporate to see if they could even accept them. They eventually did, but it was a hassle. I'd hate to order a couple thousand and go through something like that again; any advice to lessen my anxiety?
unfortunately, this is the curse of the game....what I have been doing is gving them to friends (1 box) and asking them to give me cash, to which I go and of course deposit it, or spend it on my mistress....Also, my wife noted that (she used to work at a bank of America), if someone came in with that large deposit, anthing over $3,000 cash, gets noted to some govt agency, i.e I.R.S. ......especially now with all the big brother crap. My suggestion is you distribute it unequally with different branches in your hometown and even when you travel.
Old May 25, 2009, 11:48 am
Suspended

How does everyone explain to the bank why they've got so many coins to deposit?
Honesty is the best policy - just say to the bank you are earning airline miles or hotel points for making a purchase of these coins from the US Mint. The reaction will probably be "hey what a great idea - whats the website so I can do the same?"
Old May 25, 2009, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by 3rivers
Honesty is the best policy - just say to the bank you are earning airline miles or hotel points for making a purchase of these coins from the US Mint. The reaction will probably be "hey what a great idea - whats the website so I can do the same?"
Unfortunately in this case, that doesn't seem to be the best policy IME, ....I had one crusty Key Bank rep sigh at me saying these coins were meant for circulation , blah blah blah .....took a good 20 min to make a simple 10 min deposit.....I had to change my tune to march in this parade more efficiently....
Old May 25, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
unfortunately, this is the curse of the game....what I have been doing is gving them to friends (1 box) and asking them to give me cash, to which I go and of course deposit it, or spend it on my mistress....Also, my wife noted that (she used to work at a bank of America), if someone came in with that large deposit, anthing over $3,000 cash, gets noted to some govt agency, i.e I.R.S. ......especially now with all the big brother crap. My suggestion is you distribute it unequally with different branches in your hometown and even when you travel.
This has been discussed in the thread, it is not $3k, and it is not the IRS.
Old May 25, 2009, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

How does everyone explain to the bank why they've got so many coins to deposit?
Honesty. Either:

1. "I'm buying them from the mint at face value with free shipping for the airline miles on my credit card." or,
2. "I get bonus rewards with my credit card if I spend a specific amount each month. If I know I'll be short, I'll round up with the mint since they're sold at face value with free shipping."

The one teller at the Chase doesn't like me because she has to carry them to the back at the end of her shift. Everyone else (including managers) like the coins and "want in on the deal." I've explained to them how to do it and know of one employee who has done it so far!
Old May 25, 2009, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Exactly my point - sure you are going to get the person who grumbles - but more than likely they will want to know more about "how you get the free miles".
Old May 26, 2009, 1:50 pm

Stopped by Citibank this morning to deposit $1500. The teller seemed to be aware of the deal as he mentioned there was one customer who comes frequently with lots of dollar coins .
He asked me if I planning to circulate any coins to which I replied (truthfully) that I use them wherever I can.
He grumbled slightly about having to write down my account # on every roll(60 of them ), to which I suggested he take my boxes and just label the top of the boxes with my account #-which is what other Citibank seems to do.
Old May 26, 2009, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by sfducati
Stopped by Citibank this morning to deposit $1500. The teller seemed to be aware of the deal as he mentioned there was one customer who comes frequently with lots of dollar coins .
He asked me if I planning to circulate any coins to which I replied (truthfully) that I use them wherever I can.
He grumbled slightly about having to write down my account # on every roll(60 of them ), to which I suggested he take my boxes and just label the top of the boxes with my account #-which is what other Citibank seems to do.
Somewhere in the slew of pages, someone mentioned printing small stickers with his account # for the rolls. Also, Chase has never asked me to put the acct #'s on them. Maybe they do it behind the scenes, but I've never heard of it.
Old May 26, 2009, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At Wells Fargo, I put the number on a coin deposit bag once, and then up to $2000 inside the bag. Supposedly, the Fed actually counts them, and reports back to the bank if there's a problem.
Old May 26, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: Priority Club Plat Ambassador
Recent Delays?

I've been getting some pretty consistent 5 day turnarounds from order to delivery with orders of $500 or more...but now my May 19th order (and subsequent orders) have not been shipped. Has anyone noticed recent delays?
Old May 26, 2009, 8:56 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
Originally Posted by blankeeta
I've been getting some pretty consistent 5 day turnarounds from order to delivery with orders of $500 or more...but now my May 19th order (and subsequent orders) have not been shipped. Has anyone noticed recent delays?
yup. for some reason i got an email stating that one of my orders shipped last thursday night, but it wasnt actually picked up by UPS till tonight and will arrive tomorrow. it could just be because of the holiday weekend?
Old May 26, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by aaron1262
yup. for some reason i got an email stating that one of my orders shipped last thursday night, but it wasnt actually picked up by UPS till tonight and will arrive tomorrow. it could just be because of the holiday weekend?
Same deal here. Its $2500, so I'm pretty eager to get them tomorrow.
Old May 26, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by blankeeta
Same here. My last order was on May 19 for $1,500 and it has not been shipped. It shows the order is in process, and my CC's credit limit has dropped by the same amount.

Recently I have been getting them shipped within 3 days, so I am just wondering... I have decided to wait longer though, since the one-week wait is still significantly shorter than some of those here who had been waiting for a few weeks before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.